Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Thymeclock apparently has the patent on what works and doesn't.
Thank you for the compliment!

Quote:
A model of predictability applicable in all situations, ha! I'd say you blew your "objectivity", son.
I obviously was somebody's son (as were you) but I'm not your son, nor Old Mech's son (thank goodness).

Quote:
And the biggest point missed: he's driven on that road since it was new. A perusal of his other posts shows he's long used to assimilating new information. A driver of the sort encountered is nothing more than new information.
So what? That's not relevant. New things happen everyday, even on roads we are thoroughly familiar with. Who knows? He might meet up with his moron nemesis again someday at the same exit. It's a small world. Will he smile and wave next time instead of returning the finger?

I notice you got an attaboy thanks from Old Mech, which is really what he wanted: a place to vent that would garner some sympathy. Enjoy being his apologist. No harm in it. But no value in it, either.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Just saw an article saying 22% of Uhmericans think the world will end soon. We've seen for years that about 20% of Uhmericans vote against their best interests. So it's safe to say 1 out of 5 vehicles is being driven by a flaming moron.
I've said this before Frank, the world is going to end on December 22nd 2012. That's the day I'm supposed to recieve my first Social Security check, and the Mayans predicted it 500 or so years ago.

Plus I read it on the Internet, so it has to be a fact.

Mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
FXSTi (05-02-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nah tc, I'll whip out my cell phone and collect some evidence, then have him summoned to court and convicted, so he doesn't kill your cousin driving down the same road another day.

There is your first dose of humble pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe
Mech

Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just watching the local news. Guy got killed when a tree was blown over in a storm and crushed his car. I was driving down one of the roads here in a 63 VW bug and noticed a tree moving to the right in my peripheral vision. It had been blown over by the wind. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid having it come through my roof. It just missed a school bus. Had to get out of the car and move the pieces of 2 foot diameter pine tree to get past the spot where it fell.

regards
Mech

Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I've said this before Frank, the world is going to end on December 22nd 2012. That's the day I'm supposed to recieve my first Social Security check, and the Mayans predicted it 500 or so years ago.

Plus I read it on the Internet, so it has to be a fact.

Mech
The Mayan long count doesn't account for the leap year, which was introduced by Ceasar originally in 45BC.

Thus, the Dec 21 2012 should have happened 2057/4= 514 days ago, minus the 5 century years 1700, 1300, 900, 500, 100, on which there was no leap year. (Every 400 years on a century year, we skip the leap year. The next skip is 2100, 87 Januaries from now.)

So 509 days, or 1.4 years ago, should have been the 21Dec2012 referenced on the Mayan calendar.

Checkmate, doomsday theorists.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
user removed (05-02-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
I'm guilty of driving aggressively, previously. I'm guilty of reacting and overreacting. I think I learned my lesson the last time. It's not worth it.
That's a praiseworthy admission. It doesn't matter how you learned it; what matters is that you are the wiser for it.

Quote:
Would the small satisfaction you get from flipping someone off be worth it if it leads to a fight, shooting, wreck, etc? And just think if a completely innocent bystander got caught in the middle of the battle of egos.

I guess it feels good to say someone else is less than. I guess it feels good to say you're carrying a weapon and a driver that crosses you better beware.

The right thing to do is to try to get out of the way, "keep the bird in the cage", and call the highway patrol to report the reckless driver.
It's a wise man who picks his battles. Those who encounter troublesome situations frequently (not as rare, isolated incidents) are attracting confrontation in some subtle way, possibly by their actions or demeanor which is non-verbal, but discernible. It's best to avoid battles unless there is literally no other option. But such do or die situations rarely arise and are usually avoidable.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Several years ago while driving on I-40 through TN I had an 18 wheeler cut me off then he slowed down so I passed him, again he passed me cutting me off again. This happened 3 times. I just kept driving and soon came to a TN state trooper who had someone else pulled over, I pulled over, the trucker saw what I was doing and pulled over about 1/4 mile down the road. I waited until the trooper was finished with his business with the car he had stopped then told him what had happened and the truck driver tried to say I'd also cut him off, but I'd always been able to see his whole front end in my rear view mirror before returning to his lane. After we had our chat the state trooper told me to go ahead and leave and said he was going to have the trucker stay for awhile allowing me to get several miles ahead and told the truck driver he'd better not get near me again. This was a J.B. Hunt truck so I got the truck number/tag number and the next day after getting back home from my trip I called the company's safety department and told them about the incident. They assured me the driver would be dealt with and thanked me for the information. Just because the truck driver wanted to act like an idiot he lost probably at least 30-45 minutes of driving time and probably got reamed out by the company safety department if he didn't lose his job over it.

Last edited by Ford Man; 05-01-2012 at 11:50 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Ford Man For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
T
It's a wise man who picks his battles. T

More Irony.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Something smells. And not just the a#*shole OldMech ran into. His type are all over the place these days. Usually IT guys still stuck in virtual game world (for my contribution of Who Is the Jerk).

Miss the big point and the little points are meaningless.

There sure are a LOT of people who are never at fault, and looking for who to blame things on.

The fascinating thing is they are completely desirous of HELPING the rest of us out.

Slowmover, I bet you and Oldmech have made plenty of mistakes in your life, and took responsibility for them. I try to do the same.

Others on this list don't make mistakes - they are here to help us out.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
More Irony.
One-liners (quips) such as this are easy to make, but they add nothing substantial to the discussion.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread