Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Say hello to the... Green Goblin!

So my dad and I went to go look at a Toyota Echo this morning and it turned out a bust (guy lied about mileage and the car looked like it had been in a front end accident) and on our way back my uncles calls me and tells me that a friend of his that owns a car dealership has a Corolla with 128k miles he will sell me. So my dad and I go look and well, for 2.9k (3.3 after taxes and stuff) I think I did alright. It has power locks, windows and cruise control (I thought only the LE trim had power anything? This is the CE trim). I do have one concern though, is this the 4 speed or 3 speed? I used my butt sensor but I couldn't really tell, it rides so smooth and shifts so well I couldn't tell when it was shifting. Below is a pic of the car + gear selector. It has P N D 2 and L + Overdrive button so that points to the 4 speed but I would just like some 100% verification. The only actual issues are, the front left strut is bad, the alignment is off, but only by a hair (even braking hard doesn't pull you in any direction) and the cruise control doesn't work. It comes on but when I try to engage it, the lit cruise control on the instrument panel just blinks. Any insight on the cruise would be nice to.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
That's the 4-speed. And yes, it shifts so smoothly that is nearly impossible to figure out when it shifts.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That's the 4-speed. And yes, it shifts so smoothly that is nearly impossible to figure out when it shifts.
Yay it's the 4 speed . Thank you! That was my biggest worry as everything else is easily fixable, even the Strut is only 150$ to get fixed.

Also, I really don't like the DTRL's, is it possible to disable this somehow? I don't know if it does anything to MPG but I just don't want that alternator having to work if it doesn't have to...

Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
If your vehicle is equipped with a "DRL OFF" setting, they can be turned off by twisting the headlight control knob to "DRL OFF."
Quote:
For vehicles listed below equipped with DRL, the system can be disabled by your local Toyota dealership
See
https://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answ...ning-lights%3F

A quick internet search indicates there maybe other methods. Choose at you own risk. On my 06 Grand Prix the body control module must be reprogrammed or they can be manually turned off each time the car is started.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Take out the bulb or disconnect the sub harness. I like the car, had an 06 myself, but it had serious alignement issues which combined with the dealerships pitiful attempts resulted in a trip to a fraame shop to get the rear wheels aligned and front wheels ate thetires up in 14k miles. They even lied and charged me for balancing wheels they did not change the weights on. A freind who was the service manager at another Toyota dealership got it straight and Toyota gave me a set of new tires. Other people with the same generation I talked to over the years had similar problems, built in Canada.

One of the reasons I personally think the Japanese manufacturers have lost most of their "edge" in building cars, like us they have moved most of their manufacturing to other countries and the quality is just not quite the same as those built in Japan.

regards
Mech
Old 05-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Take out the bulb or disconnect the sub harness. I like the car, had an 06 myself, but it had serious alignement issues which combined with the dealerships pitiful attempts resulted in a trip to a fraame shop to get the rear wheels aligned and front wheels ate thetires up in 14k miles. They even lied and charged me for balancing wheels they did not change the weights on. A freind who was the service manager at another Toyota dealership got it straight and Toyota gave me a set of new tires. Other people with the same generation I talked to over the years had similar problems, built in Canada.

One of the reasons I personally think the Japanese manufacturers have lost most of their "edge" in building cars, like us they have moved most of their manufacturing to other countries and the quality is just not quite the same as those built in Japan.

regards
Mech
The '06 isn't in the same generation though is it? And I agree with the build quality, it just isn't as good as it used to be sadly.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Guys I could use some help, I'm currently googling but I'm not finding much, does anyone know what year instrument cluster will work with the '00? I want to get a nice looking cluster with a tach and I need to know what years fully work with the '00

Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Also, I really don't like the DTRL's, is it possible to disable this somehow?
Yes, I saw a thread in the Toyota Nation forum describing the procedure. Will see if I can find it again & supply a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Other people with the same generation I talked to over the years had similar problems, built in Canada.
Mech
Hmm, guess I've been lucky. My Canadian built 05 has been great so far. 95K miles & never had any alignments performed. Been one of my most reliable cars ever Averaging over 43 now with no EOC or real mods.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
The '06 isn't in the same generation though is it?
No, they are different generations.
8th Generation (1998-2002)
9th Generation (2003-2008)

Old 05-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital rules View Post
No, they are different generations.
8th Generation (1998-2002)
9th Generation (2003-2008)
That's what I thought, and 43mpg?????? Is your a manual?

[Edit]: Oh I do see it's a manual, but I never sit in traffic, at most I slow down to 55 on a 'slow' day where there is traffic. I'm really hoping with a simple grill block and sensible driving i can break 40mpg, I would be so, so happy to average 39.9-42mpg.

Also, does anyone know if LRR tires are worth it? I haven't done any research but I can imagine that they cost more. How much MPG on average is seen with LRR tires over normal ones?

Last edited by Baltothewolf; 05-11-2014 at 11:37 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread