Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2022, 06:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
One of my favorites and most controversial gets to the good stuff at 1hr in. Complaint as a strategy. Hunters vs gatherers.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2022, 07:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Sort of like a doomsday device in Dr. Strangelove.
You do know it's already in play, right?
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Dead_man's_switch
Dead man's switch - Wikipedia
Strategic Air Command developed a dead man's switch for its nuclear bombers, known as Special Weapons Emergency Separation System (SWESS), that ensured the nuclear payload detonated in the event of the crew becoming incapacitated through enemy action.

https://www.dailydot.com › debug › uvb76-russia-mystery
Has Russian radio signal UVB-76 been solved after 40 years? - The Daily Dot
The fan-favorite conspiracy is that UVB-76 is the audible version of Russia's "Dead Man Switch" system. In the case of a nuclear strike that cripples Russian military command, the automated system...

https://www.think.cz › english › conspiracies › how-the-russian-dead-hand-system-works-or-putin-s-last-laugh
How the Russian Dead Hand System Works (Or, Putin's Last Laugh?)
Its called the "Russian Dead Hand" system, a dead man's switch that, in a nutshell, works like this; While the US has to give the command TO launch their nukes, the Russians daily send out a command to NOT launch their nukes. God forbid, should that signal not come in, then it is assumed that the Kremlin is destroyed and retaliation is launched.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

As a hypothetical example of my philosophy at a personal level, say I'm being mugged and they want my laptop. If I cannot overtake the attacker, I throw the laptop on the ground destroying it, and then ask what else they want.

On a territory level, the last action before final defeat would be to poison the land in such a way that it's not useful to anyone. Make it clear beforehand that the result of an opponent successful attack will be spoiling their prize, rendering the attack pointless in the first place since the outcome is either they are defeated, or they gain nothing.

I'm ok with lose/lose strategies. Not ok with lose/win because evil should never be fed.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Not ok with lose/win because evil should never be fed.
Don't forget your
Solzhenitsyn
Quote:
"The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts. This line shifts. Inside us, it oscillates with the years. And even within hearts overwhelmed by evil, one small bridgehead of good is retained"
And don't forget Steve Earle:
Quote:
People tell me that I'm paranoid
And I admit I'm gettin' pretty nervous, boy
It just gets tougher everyday
To sit around and watch it while it slips away
Been called a traitor and a patriot
Call me anything you want to but
Just don't forget your history
Dirty Lenny died so we could all be free
Steve Earle Lyrics "F The CC"

https://youtu.be/B2rygAhcgcI

Old 10-14-2022, 01:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It appears only the two of us care about the important stuff.

What do you think of Whatifalthist? Youtube has been feeding me his work for a while and this is a particularly interesting one. America’s 21st century

Some of the highlights:
?t=576 Oregon #3 migration inflow.
?t=835 American Civil War a repeat of the English Civil War.
?t=891 The Cross the Frog and the Lobster.
?t=1442 America's advantages
My understanding is that although he's young, he's a voracious reader with an eidetic memory. So he is always drawing out interesting parallels, like the American and English Civil Wars and the frog and the lobster.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Which english civil war and where? They had a couple, but typically religion based, and depends on how you categorize whom the participants countries were.

Is the Jacobite uprising an english/english or is it english/scot? Scots were major partners but were english ruled. They definitely were afterward.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I could retrieve the map at t=835 by screenshoting and uploading it, or you could click the link provided and hear his commentary.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mr. Adams has been hard to listen to lately for the [self-admittedly] uninformed warmongering. But today he pointed toward a general solution for anxiety. i say 'point toward because' it seemed likely he doesn't understand the technique.

So I checked: calmcuban.com/science-breathing-exercise-calm-down-quickly/

Sure enough, it's all about the diaphram. And it's called the 'physiological sigh'. And you need to do it three times, not once.

I've known about the diaphram since the 1970s, but I just learned that humans the [the only?] spedies that can involutanrily control their respiration because of it. That kinda explains humankind's tendency toward spiritual enlightnment. No?

edit: Here's what apparently is the Master Class, 2 hr 20 min prollty better spent.

Last edited by freebeard; 11-03-2022 at 06:31 PM..
Old 11-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Mr. Adams has been hard to listen to lately for the [self-admittedly] uninformed warmongering. But today he pointed toward a general solution for anxiety. i say 'point toward because' it seemed likely he doesn't understand the technique.

So I checked: calmcuban.com/science-breathing-exercise-calm-down-quickly/

Sure enough, it's all about the diaphram. And it's called the 'physiological sigh'. And you need to do it three times, not once.

I've known about the diaphram since the 1970s, but I just learned that humans the [the only?] spedies that can involutanrily control their respiration because of it. That kinda explains humankind's tendency toward spiritual enlightnment. No?
We've got differing interests. Breath techniques or hypnosis doesn't interest me much, because the premise is that if one is open to being manipulated, then they will be susceptible to manipulation. That's an unsurprising concept to me. Give conscious effort to alleviate stress, and you'll likely be successful.

He's a dope because for months now he's been speculating why he's had low energy, dismissing depression and/or anxiety. Then recently he admitted he ticked all the boxes for depression... now he's on a kick about blood pressure meds being the culprit.

The man lost the hottest woman he'll ever have, and brushes that off like it's no big deal. Just because one feels justified in parting ways with an insufferable woman doesn't mean the injury can be dismissed.

I don't like his war on drugs take, or every strategy he employs with opposing the CCP, but he still generates some interesting perspectives from time to time.

Anyhow, if our problems were easy, they wouldn't be OUR problems.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I also lost the hottest woman I will never had, but nobody wants to hear about it.

Reply  Post New Thread