Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
That one network differs only in their emphasis. All the legacy media are captive to the Spectacle.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › The_Society_of_the_Spectacle
The Society of the Spectacle - Wikipedia
The Society of the Spectacle ( French: La société du spectacle) is a 1967 work of philosophy and Marxist critical theory by Guy Debord, in which the author develops and presents the concept of the Spectacle. The book is considered a seminal text for the Situationist movement.

https://anticapitalistresistance.org › guy-debord-and-the-spectacle
Guy Debord and the Spectacle - Anticapitalist Resistance
4 Jun 2021Debord's The Society of the Spectacle[3] (1967) represents the culmination of efforts by 20 th century Marxists to theorise the ideological means by which the capitalist class dominates, or attempts to dominate, the consciousness of significant sections of the masses - in advanced capitalist countries to start with, and now worldwide.
GTP-[now]4 is borked. It says right on the front page, when it can be reached, that inappropriate prompts are ignored. No Section 230 here.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2023, 05:11 PM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So today the Scottster badgered his audience over the binary choice -- should system be tweaked or scrapped and replaced. As usual privileging responses from economists/engineers.

He needs to learn to code. From the programmers he could learn about 'technical debt'. I'm not a know-it-all, I just read about it the other day.

Quote:
Technical debt
In software development, technical debt is the implied cost of additional rework caused by choosing an easy solution now instead of using a better approach that would take longer. Analogous with monetary debt, if technical debt is not repaid, it can accumulate "interest", making it harder to implement changes. Wikipedia

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:14 PM   #83 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
So today the Scottster badgered his audience over the binary choice -- should system be tweaked or scrapped and replaced. As usual privileging responses from economists/engineers.

He needs to learn to code. From the programmers he could learn about 'technical debt'. I'm not a know-it-all, I just read about it the other day.
I'll give it a listen. Wracked my ankle riding a friend's new dirtbike yesterday because I'm out of shape, and was too lazy to cram my feet into motorcycle boots which would have prevented injury, and spent today cleaning up from the new years party and tearing down Christmas. That's my way to say I'm not in a contemplative mood, but an exhausted one.

It is interesting how critical he is of artists, given the fact that he's an artist. I share his criticism because artists are fools. Objective criteria are by definition, measurable. Artists have an aversion to measurement, and their criteria for success is based on how they feel. They deserve every bit of ridicule a person can heave onto them. Although I can't prove that reason is reasonable, that's no excuse to dispense with it entirely.

My criticism of SA is along the lines of being uninterested in the hard part of owning an opinion, which is having done the work required to have sufficiently informed it. My admiration though is his shortcuts in intuiting correct takes along with his admission that the shortcut isn't a 100% guarantee.

I guess your comment about not investing the time to do something right in the first place reminded me of this. I'm hobbling around now because I didn't try harder to get my proper boots on.

Tore Christmas down today. Hoping to find a sale on a bigger wreath for next year.

We have an annual tradition to hunt a tree. They aren't full like tree farm trees, but we have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4337.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	33149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	33150   Click image for larger version

Name:	69258842674__358570F7-CDDF-43D2-B9AC-BE023C0FFFD6.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	33151  

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-02-2023 at 08:22 PM..
Old 01-02-2023, 08:44 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
They aren't full like tree farm trees, but we have fun.
Better to show off the decorations. I'd want to put that string of lights under the gable where it could live year-round.

I ate at Coburg Pizza today and on the fireplace hearth they had a tree that was a branch on a wooden X with one red ornament. I appreciated the cultural reference.

I think the concept of technical debt can be applied to aircooled Volkswagens, they need to be tuned, as like a violin.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:56 PM   #85 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Better to show off the decorations. I'd want to put that string of lights under the gable where it could live year-round.

I ate at Coburg Pizza today and on the fireplace hearth they had a tree that was a branch on a wooden X with one red ornament. I appreciated the cultural reference.

I think the concept of technical debt can be applied to aircooled Volkswagens, they need to be tuned, as like a violin.
I always threaten to leave the lights up, but my wife won't have it. I shall risk my life every year (which I happily do). This was the first year I attempted a "professional" install where I put a clip on each light and shove it under the shingles instead of dangling from the eve. I'll probably go back to the eve method next year since it takes 1/3rd as long to install and still looks pretty good. Removal is just yanking an end and the whole thing zippers off.

Haven't tried the Coburg pizza. We're eating the "emergency" pizzas I ordered from Papa Murphy's as backup food in case I didn't make enough for New Years Eve. I put a tuxedo on and serve guests hors d’Oeuvres and mix simple cocktails. Some guests stayed the night, including our good friends that live just a mile away.

Regarding technical debt though, it's always tricky to determine the crossover point of diminishing returns. Tesla is always struggling to make incrementally better changes to so-called "full self drive", but I remember at least one instance where they tossed everything out and started over. They had painted into a corner they couldn't get out and it had limited them in such a way that starting over was the better option.

Then we contend with the "sunk cost fallacy".

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 09:48 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/65...b716518665.jpg

Put each one behind a plastic shell. Dentil mouldings are supposed to go under an entableture (i. e., over the garage doors) but kids these days won't know the differments.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 02:01 PM   #87 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Dude can make cartoons, but cries when people make him a cartoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-01-04-11-44-51-1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	33154  
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 02:44 PM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks for that, I'd been hearing a lot about it. Dogbert in a cage with flies is a nice touch.

Today the Felix cartoonist was encouraging the people commenting 'take the L' to put it in a Superchat to put their money where their mouth is. I think he got that from Elon Musk.

'Clotbert' really gets under his skin.

Old 01-04-2023, 02:50 PM   #89 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Dude can make cartoons, but cries when people make him a cartoon.
I'm 100% on Scott's side on this because I project myself into his shoes and would probably not be as kind.

I encourage people to disagree with me or make jokes at my expense, but the one thing I will not tolerate is for someone to claim I said something I did not, especially when it's the exact opposite of what I've been saying.

Besides all that, even if Scott had promoted vaccines (which he never did), it's not a funny cartoon. What value does an unfunny and factually inaccurate cartoon hold? I suppose the illustration is pretty decent.

Quote:
'Clotbert' really gets under his skin.
I don't know about Clotbert as I've not heard that before, but I was listening when "Clot Adams" was first used, and Scott laughed pretty hard and said that was great.

Old 01-04-2023, 02:59 PM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Proves it's a Simulation, since I don't remember it that way.

That's a weird crop and overlay on the cartoon.

So -- you think the trolls are from Styxhexenhammer or Salty Cracker?

Reply  Post New Thread