Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2022, 10:44 PM   #71 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
So today Mr. Adams talked about the AI that refused to construct a story around/about fossil fuels being good for people. It delivered a scolding lecture instead.

His conclusion -- AI must be outlawed.

I guess he misssed the part where the followup question was 'tell how an AI would lie about fossil fuel being good for people'. The result was not only excellent, but it pointed to how AI is no match for weaponized autism.

[I went back through my history but I couldn't find a reference]
He's been obsessing over AI. Haven't listened to this episode yet because I talked to the randos seated next to me on the cattle-waggon known as Frontier Airlines. Really enjoyed the discussion we had though.

AI is an extension of silicon valley, so we can expect some built-in poop in the streets with it.

...gotta go watch Rudolf in front of the fire. Merry Christmas y'all.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2022, 11:21 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
I'd skipped a few days. I wish I could find that story again. It was a good defense of humankind.

Talking to strangers sounds like fun. Here's a talking point:

grist.org/language/fossil-fuel-origins-gaslighting-merriam-webster/
Quote:
The mind-manipulating connotation came from a 1938 play called Gas Light, later turned into a movie. The plot: A husband tries to trick his wife into thinking she’s losing her mind — and thereby getting sent to an asylum — so he can steal the priceless jewels she’s inherited. His strategy involves sneaking around the house and making the gaslights flicker and dim, while insisting that the lights look totally normal to him.
Make Merry

Old 12-29-2022, 04:18 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Garfield cartoonist really stepped in a pile of poo today.

youtu.be/MwOO2xl1bt8?t=919

[1975 depop woo]

Quote:
Georgia Guidestones
The Georgia Guidestones was a granite monument that stood in Elbert County, Georgia, United States, from 1980 to 2022. It was 19 feet 3 inches tall and made from six granite slabs weighing a total of 237,746 pounds. The structure was sometimes referred to as an "American Stonehenge". Wikipedia
It was last Sixth of July that they were vandalized and destructed. Now he's trying to rewrite history.

In other news Styxhexenhammer is rightly pleased that Elon Musk used the term 'legacy media'.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:03 PM   #74 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
The Garfield cartoonist really stepped in a pile of poo today.
That was by far my favorite part today. The thing is, unintelligent people don't know they're unintelligent. It's different than ignorance too, because intelligent people will usually at least have an idea about what they don't know, and if they have enough humility, simply state that they don't know something.

Unintelligent people (half of people, by definition) are often certain of things they have no understanding about.

Plenty of dummies think humanity can consume fewer resources and simultaneously be awash in greater wealth and prosperity. Like they don't even put together that wealth and consumption are the same thing. Wealth being numbers in a bank account, or something, and consumption being the evil exploints of human activity.

Anyhow, there's a communist on another forum that understands consuming less means being poorer and more human suffering, and he's all for that, so I respect that he understands reality and maintains a consistent philosophy.

It's the bozos that think everyone would be rich if the government just created all the dollars and deposited into everyone's bank accounts that I-just-can't-even.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-29-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 12:22 AM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Plenty of dummies think humanity can consume fewer resources and simultaneously be awash in greater wealth and prosperity.
One instance would be me.

Bucky Fuller estimated that society runs at an overall efficiency of 4%. Simply incease that to 12% and everyone wins.
Quote:
To do more and more with less and less until eventually you can do everything with nothing.
Buckminster Fuller
Anyways....

The cartoonist doubled down today, then read the comment off his screen "Georgia Guidestones" and just snorted. His position is 'go by what they [WEF] say, not what they do.'

Maybe not worth another thread but someone that goes by Rogue Scientist put together a retrospective on D. John Campbell and his blue to red to black pill journey.

I followed Dr. John Campbell through 2020. Looking back, it was when I stopped taking Vitamin D that I got a second round of whatever-it-was.

Old 12-31-2022, 02:42 AM   #76 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
One instance would be me.

Bucky Fuller estimated that society runs at an overall efficiency of 4%. Simply incease that to 12% and everyone wins.
The point is, the potential to consume more given any particular state of efficiency is the definition of wealth. You can't have a bigger house by building a smaller house.

Furthermore, wealth depends on the output of everyone. If there's 2 people on earth, nobody's wealthy. There's no Delta Airlines if there's 2 people on earth.

Those facts aren't a dismissal of striving towards efficiency. The thing is, getting more for less only allows one to get even more.

Quote:
Anyways....

The cartoonist doubled down today, then read the comment off his screen "Georgia Guidestones" and just snorted. His position is 'go by what they [WEF] say, not what they do.'
That's why I listen to him, to get the take that I might automatically dismiss or never think about. I appreciate that he differentiates between speculating on the future of things, and imposing a vision of the future of things.

For instance, I sometimes say that UBI is probably unavoidable. That isn't an endorsement of UBI, only my best guess of things to come given my limited understanding.

Quote:
Maybe not worth another thread but someone that goes by Rogue Scientist put together a retrospective on D. John Campbell and his blue to red to black pill journey.
I have immense respect for John because he lets the data as he understands at the time inform his opinion. When understanding changes, so too does his opinion. That's the definition of a liberal mind.

Nobody is a bigger critic of medicine than me. The institutions don't even try to conceal their malevolence because people like me who know next to nothing about medicine and has next to no interest, notice glaring deficiencies and exploitations. Among by big criticisms is that analytics is hardly used at all. We'll use analytics to target ads at consumers, because that's super important, but quickly and accurately diagnosing life-threatening diseases isn't. Google can tell me what species of plant I'm looking at by pointing my phone at something, but dermatology diagnoses skin conditions by experience-based guesses by a single individual. Why would we leverage the sample set of millions of cases and the expertise of thousands when we could just ask Bob who has seen a handful of these symptoms what he thinks? I'm sure the fact that not getting the diagnosis right on first attempt generates more revenue by continued "care" plays no factor at all.

There's no incentive to improve patient outcomes, only to avoid liability while establishing a continued "treatment" plan. This is the reason I'm mostly indifferent about public vs private healthcare. Sure, government sucks and is super inefficient, but at least their apathy towards the profit motive means they aren't actively trying to be ineffective...

I've heard stories of health providers that would not refer patients despite a lack of expertise in an area simply because their continued reliance generated more revenue.

I'll limit my rant to 1 anecdote. I once developed eye herpes (initially that was my joke, but it turns out shingles in the eye is herpes) that progressed into a medical emergency... long story short I ended up seeing an eye doc out of pocket every week. He prescribed Combigan, which was a super expensive patented drug. I asked if there was something else that he could prescribe because it was silly expensive for what was like 1cc of an eyedrop. Either I was the very first patient to ever mention the cost of this drug, or he played dumb, but he admitted that the drug was patented because it was a Combination of 2 drugs, and that pharmacies are allowed to create a new patent if they merely adjust release rates or combine several drugs into a single application. So, the $280 prescription was replaced with a $6 prescription that functioned similarly. I didn't even have to take both drugs. It's like what would Vicodin be like if it was only hydrocodone but they left out the acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Anyhow, that A-hole, knowing I was paying out of pocket, kept saying he wanted to see me every week. Of course, because I was perfectly fine, he wanted to make sure I stayed perfectly fine. Something like the 3rd week I mentioned that he'd better come up with a very compelling reason to continue this arrangement of him spending 5 minutes with me and saying things look great and me paying through the nose, or I'd end that arrangement. He then mentioned things look good, so he didn't see a reason for me to come back again unless things took a turn for the worse.

Old 12-31-2022, 02:10 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I had a visit yesterday, and the doctor followed me down the hall when I was leaving. Weird. We'd been talking about Metformin as part of a life extension program, and Laz Parrish at BioViva.

Quote:
https://www.discovermagazine.com › health › liz-parrish-is-patient-zero-in-her-own-anti-aging-experiment
Liz Parrish Is Patient Zero in Her Own Anti-Aging Experiment
(Credit: BioViva) Elizabeth (Liz) Parrish is the CEO of BioViva, a biotechnology company that focuses on developing gene therapies, and other regenerative therapies, to intervene with human aging. Last September, Parrish added an interesting line to her job description: patient zero for two anti-aging therapies that the company is researching.

https://www.forbes.com › sites › calumchace › 2022 › 10 › 21 › extending-health-spans-by-extending-telomeres-profile-of-liz-parrish
Extending Health Spans By Extending Telomeres: Profile Of Liz Parrish
21 Oct 2022 Liz Parrish, founder and CEO of BioViva Liz Parrish Patient zero Liz Parrish was nervous. She was on a plane to Colombia, where she would undergo an untested gene therapy. She and her...
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbes.com
Before the treatment, the biomarkers used by Parrish indicated that her biological age was 66, a full 22 years more than her chronological age. (Your biological age describes the condition of your body relative to your peers; your chronological age is simply the number of journeys you have made around the sun). After the treatment, her reported biological age fell to match her actual age.

Parrish repeated the treatment in 2020, and she reports that since 2015, her biological age has declined by an average of five years every year. It dropped sharply again after the second treatment, and is now, remarkably, below 25.

Old 12-31-2022, 04:14 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Adams today "Nobody ever says the quiet part out loud". Really?

The decreasing the rate of increase argument is good, but still it's only about the words. to quote that One Guy once: "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits."

www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/musk-scolds-dilbert-creator-scott-adams-after-poll-on-elites-trying-to-reduce-population-run-antivirus-software-in-your-brain

74.5% believe? 25% always get it wrong, right?

Old 01-01-2023, 04:59 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Episode 1975 at 18:35

It was obvious at the time that it was a false flag, but I haven't seen anyone yet suggest that the gray Dodge Charger was manufactured after and by the same people as the Mercedes that killed Michael Hastings.

edit:
He contemplates whether he could 'hypnotize' Artificial Intelligence. Given it already knows systems are better than goals, he concludes he could influence it by influencing public opinion which would in turn influence AI.

Never once considers just asking ChatGTP 'write an hypgnosis session is the style of Scott Adams'.

Last edited by freebeard; 01-01-2023 at 05:14 PM..
Old 01-02-2023, 09:44 AM   #80 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,113 Times in 982 Posts
That Gpt3 thing you mentioned seems to go non responsive periodically. Kinda like a classic buffer overflow.

However, I believe it's hardware capacity running low as opposed to logic shutdown.

Haven't seen an actual reasonable theory for how hypnosis works in humans, BUT, overstimulation results in catonic shutdown as a protection not an open door to subconscious suggestion. Having said that, I am unaware of anyone publicly inserting suggestive thoughts to a catonic, then having them stick.

Perhaps it is a Fox news method of indoctrination?