Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
People are free to ask what they want; doesn't mean they'll get it.

The word for those who pay way above market value is "sucker".

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Ryland (09-19-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
People are free to ask what they want; doesn't mean they'll get it.

The word for those who pay way above market value is "sucker".
"Never give a sucker an even break and never smarten up a chump." (W.C.F.)

Don't worry. As the economy worsens and the phenomenon of 'disposable income' vanishes, so will most of the suckers.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
I dunno where you guys are looking, diesel rabbit are 2K-3K here in California where they don't rust. Of course you can buy some rusted out wobbly pile of parts for a few hundred bucks, and if that's all anyone is looking for, then I am glad I didn't sell it on here.

It had new tires, a new timing belt, new brakes, the door hinges were re-welded so the doors didn't sag, carpet, dash, everything was all in good shape. I bought it for $2,500, and paid another $400 to have it shipped, and I considered it a good deal for what I got. I wanted a nice vehicle, not something with dents and a slipping trans that needed work.
I wouldn't buy this car, but it's a good-looking piece of historic, post-gas-crisis, "oh-my-god-what-are-we-going-to-do-about-OPEC-and-Japan," Detroit design. I take your point about the importance of the condition of the car. Cheaper is not better; it's just cheaper. If that's what you value, you'll get what you pay for. All cars are consumables, and we all lose money on our cars, everytime: gas, oil, parts, depreciation... wrecks and rust. The prettier and flashier you want it, the more $$$ you lose. Maybe somebody will buy your Chevette at your price, maybe not. Nice looking car. You're not looking for a sucker. You're looking for someone who loves a diesel Chevette in great condition, but they aren't born every minute. Good luck, man, and I hope you get a good price.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Already sold the Chevette to some hippie glass blower for about 2K....not trying to sell it, just trying to prove a point. It was a car that got in the high 50mpg range and had a Cd of 0.45, which is about the worst one could imagine. With the diesel engine and some aeromodding, I would have though it could eclipse most cars on this site. It weighed 2,210 also, so it was pretty light. I just thought it had a lot of potential, and would have liked to see someone explore it....but I am sure the new owner will have fun with it too. It was a good car!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

On a side note, the aerodynamics were so bad, it didn't gain anything by pulse and glide, mph just dropped like a rock as soon as you lifted
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In the first half of 2008 when gas was approaching $4 a gallon, I remember a Geo Metro with super low miles that sold for $8000 on epay. I had a heck of a time selling my VX when it had been wrecked. It only had 62k miles and ran and drove perfectly. It was hit in the rear end which is basically a box that follows the front around.

My current solution is a $3750 motorcycle that gets 84 MPG. My car gets 34, and the old truck gets 18. The truck uses one tank of fuel (16 gals) every 5 weeks. The Altima uses about 16 gals a month. The bike uses .5 gal a day when I drive it or 15 a month if I rode it 40 miles a day.

Truck $1350 will be sold when house is sold (reason for owning).
Car $11900 would sell it today if I could get enough for it.
Bike $3700 I am working on another cheap abused bike which might replace it if it runs well and gets good enough mileage.

Why did you sell the Chevette? Many people think I was crazy for selling the Civic, when it had nothing wrong with it, but it really was not the ride for the wife and myself when we are together. She hates hypermiling and the bike was the best solution for me, since she will never ride with me.

regards
Mech
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #37 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Why wait, the i10 Blue has all of these (non) features as well as stop-start.
?!? my 97 saturn has start stop with predictive logic?!? Do we really think the little piece of silicon can tell when the optimum time to kill the engine is? No, the stupid thing has to wait until you are already idling.

Are we THAT lazy?!? really?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #38 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
On a side note, the aerodynamics were so bad, it didn't gain anything by pulse and glide, mph just dropped like a rock as soon as you lifted
Hahaha! Well maybe the glass-blower who bought it can come up with some unique aeromods that preserve visibility! But more seriously, a guy in that line of work could use it for a business/advert car. He's in a historic craft, so a "historic" and unique vehicle that is a conversation starter can be an asset. He could put a sign in the window of such a clean car.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Who was asking for very basic cars again ?
This will be it.
me me me!

Although I think I'd want some performance mods on it, or maybe just buy a Subaru FRZ.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #40 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
?!? my 97 saturn has start stop with predictive logic?!? Do we really think the little piece of silicon can tell when the optimum time to kill the engine is? No, the stupid thing has to wait until you are already idling.

Are we THAT lazy?!? really?
Yes, most people are. The i10 one works with all drivers, not just EM ones.