Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2024, 05:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

After installing a set of 19'' wheels on 245/40/r19 tires.. there are tucked in under the fender edges, but because of how the Connect van body is shaped (inward at the bottom) the tires are sticking out. Plus adding that size of wheel/tire has lifted the van up.. thats almost a 8-10 gab under the van and not very desirable. So I'm considering some sort of side skirts for the van. Don't want these things sticking out like a sore thumb so maybe tuck them under the van and mounted on the pinch seam.

Plus with the front of the van tilted up because we've lowered the rear, I don't want to install lowering springs on the front, but will have to consider a splitter.

Last edited by LostinTransit; 02-22-2024 at 05:36 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2024, 11:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
' skirts '

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinTransit View Post
After installing a set of 19'' wheels on 245/40/r19 tires.. there are tucked in under the fender edges, but because of how the Connect van body is shaped (inward at the bottom) the tires are sticking out. Plus adding that size of wheel/tire has lifted the van up.. thats almost a 8-10 gab under the van and not very desirable. So I'm considering some sort of side skirts for the van. Don't want these things sticking out like a sore thumb so maybe tuck them under the van and mounted on the pinch seam.

Plus with the front of the van tilted up because we've lowered the rear, I don't want to install lowering springs on the front, but will have to consider a splitter.
You may observe that contemporary cars have rocker panels which are essentially 'even' with the outer surface of the front and rear wheels, providing a contiguous flow surface down the sides, nose-to-tail.
Their ground clearance is equal to that of the front airdam.
And typically, they're lower surface is 'parallel' to the ground.
I can't advise you on the 'splitter' other than that, splitters are usually associated with 'induced-drag', and not mpg, range, or efficiency.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

In order to check things out, yesterday I was working on the van and looked along the rocker panels.. mainly how these are attached to the van.. and.. there's nowhere to attach any sort of side skirt on the van and I'm not willing to drill holes in the plastic side moldings that are attached to the rocker panels. I was hoping to see if I could attach something to the pinch seam, but the plastic moldings seem to have blocked access to those seams also. So I'm left without any clear cut area to install side skirts. Now in UK, they have kits with extended skirts.. but none of those designs seem to be what I'm looking for. I was hoping to get away with use the garden edging but not going to happen. I guess I'll have to get creative with some sort of other angled material/plastic.

Hum.. stair step angled edging..

Last edited by LostinTransit; 02-25-2024 at 03:21 PM..
Old 02-25-2024, 05:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
I'm not willing to drill holes in the plastic side moldings that are attached to the rocker panels
Something like Gorilla glue could be used and then removed with alcohol.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,113 Times in 982 Posts
Hot melt glue iteration, definitely removed with alcohol.
LostinTransit (02-29-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Double sided 3m tape?
Old 02-29-2024, 10:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

So after careful searching, I've located a company who manufacture all types of rubberize moldings and gaskets.. Within their site, I locate an "L" shaped corner molding they already manufacture for outdoor steps and other edgings. This edging is 50mm x100mm x 12mm thick and can come in any length. I've sent word tot he company asking for a quote. I suspect thta I'll need approx 24 feet of this to cover both rocker panel sides of the van. but as I said, I'm not willing to drill holes into the rocker panel.. Unless this L shaped molding can be mounted under the rocker panels onto the plastic trim molding. But would 12mm be thick or stiff enough to offer a good air flow resistance at the lower rocker panels.

If I get a quote back and it's reasonable.. I may order and install this on the van. Plus I have other things that need to be completed before a certain time and I've scheduled time at several road course race tracks to test this set up.

Last edited by LostinTransit; 03-10-2024 at 07:09 PM..
Old 03-09-2024, 10:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If the "L" is on the bottom of the side skirt and faced outward, it's thought the air flowing downward on car's side is now directed outward, helping to extract air already underneath car, a big plus for those seeking downforce and likely further reducing under carriage drag. I also believe any sized lower external wicker here on a side skirt helps promotes this advantage, but a larger wicker/ledge is more effective, obviously up to the point of diminishing returns.
I would think a better direction for street use would be, an inflatable/retractable side skirt design.

Last edited by j-c-c; 03-09-2024 at 01:19 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
LostinTransit (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 07:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

I've looked at these garden edge moldings which have tabs approx. every 4-5 inches with a solid smooth side.. I was wondering if I was to double these up to add strength to these side skirts. if I added the garden edging with a flipped double edge.. I fear these tabs would break off. But is 2.5 with of edging enough to fill that void under the van without compromising clearances.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I doubt you need the extra rigidity doubling up would give you, for non track under 3 digit speeds US, but then I don't have the material in hand.

Reply  Post New Thread