Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
X3

Good to know I'm not the only one!

----------------------------------

I agree though that some updating, without changing the overall useability or 'feel' of the forum, is necessary in an ever changing world. I know that much like cbaber, including myself, there are many who would be willing to do whatever it takes to make sure 'there isn't a drought at our lake' as well as bring more horses to join us. Our water is indeed pretty pure!

Metro, you have on the homepage things that are currently happening. We could easily incorporate that into FB, just like Vekke has done with 3L --> 2L project. I'm sure you don't want to be throwing the administrator title out to just anyone, but maybe "promoting" some members to a more official role.

I don't see starting accounts on social media as bringing more horses, I look at it as expanding our ever growing reservoir. Somebody might google something and find us, but not be convinced to join based off of one thread or whatever they found. From personal experience, it took finding this forum multiple times from a couple of different Google results to finally decide I should join. If somebody really likes one form of social media, but not another, it would just make it more likely for them to join.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (09-02-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Dime - '95 Chevy S10 LS ExtCab RWD
Pickups
90 day: 18.23 mpg (US)

G/A - '96 Pontiac Grand Am
Team Pontiac
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)
I have a personal Twitter account, due to boredom on work breaks, etc. The Twitter application I use (TweetCaster) supports multiple accounts, so I could easily switch between being "me" and then update Ecomodder's feed.

Throwing my hat in the ring, if deemed necessary.

The Following User Says Thank You to Smurf For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (09-02-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Can you imagine me limiting my deep and random thoughts to a hundred and forty characters?

Okay, apparently I can!

By the way, I recently went on a road trip with my sister and her sons. The three-year old really likes dropping things in the car and begging us to retrieve them for him. One time he dropped his happy meal toy and kept asking for his "nerf." When I realized that was three-year-old for "smurf," he helpfully clarified "It's the blue one!"
Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Exceptional Member

Crapolier - '98 Chevrolet Cavalier base
90 day: 34.81 mpg (US)

05 CTS-V - '05 cadillac cts-v
90 day: 33.01 mpg (US)

95 Accord - '95 Honda Accord
90 day: 38.06 mpg (US)

11 CTS-V - '11 Cadillac CTS-V
As far as wanting more exposure and membership, be careful what you wish for. That's when the community becomes a forum. If I was a site owner I'd want the most traffic possible because that ='s revenue. But as a user this is a very healthy size with organic growth.

Don't know why it says 00, it's a 95
374,000 miles and tired.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
On classical music radio stations was the change to no dead air a few years back. Apparently the morons were confused by the cessation of sound down to complete stillness. And the marketing majors, the MBA's and other detritus of our society helped force the move to the announcer immmediately speaking before the last notes died. None of them, it seems, ever played or performed music that requires talent, much less discipline or skill. Or, a mind. I am certain that no new listeners are attracted, it just lessens (in some cases, ruins) the experience desired. (One is patient with audiences at a performance who applaud at the end of a movement versus the actual ending . . they'll learn. They've given time and effort to be present after all).

Attacting the ignorant has ruined more than one site at which I used to read or participate . . the lack of any search of previous posts on a subject tends to be the marker: "Hi, it's ME, Me, me, me, meeeeeee!!!" The original participants who made the site so interesting often fall away after The Deluge.

Responding with "Do a search" falls on deaf ears . . as does providing links to same all too often. I am surprised, as one usually (though not always) can find the more interesting and knowledgeable participants. I can switch my search to one combining a key word and their screen name. This has taken me direclty to my area of interest any number of times . . and I an PM those folks as well. I've directed others on other sites as they come across my posts. Etc.

Anyone with a mission to convert the heathen has best wishes. On their own dime & time. After all, it isn't hard to find this site.

I am not arguing "no changes", I leave that to the owners, thank them for their effort (and hope it is rewarding) and extend best wishes for the future.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (09-02-2013), jamesqf (09-03-2013), MetroMPG (09-02-2013), mikeyjd (09-05-2013), YukonCornelius (09-06-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The original participants who made the site so interesting often fall away after The Deluge.
The Deluge here was the spike in U.S. gas prices to ~$4 in ~2008. Since then, we've had a handful of mini-deluges, but things have generally been calm. The forum has been holding steady on an even keel for ages.

I don't expect that giving EM a presence in other social media will lead to anything comparable to what a sudden $0.50 increase in fuel prices would do.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
slowmover (09-16-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Whether there are more members or not, i think it's important to spread the word. Before i joined here, ecomodding and hypermiling were complete mysteries to me. I thought it was impossible to beat the epa rating of my car. I had no idea that I was the major factor in my gas mileage.

I would see it as a public service to enlighten others on the topic.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbar View Post
But as a user this is a very healthy size with organic growth.
Actually, the number of "active users" -- defined as having visited in the last 30 days -- has shrunk to well below average in the last couple of months. And the general trendline for "number of new users" each month has been on the decline for about 2 years now. Just FYI.

(Forum stats are available for anyone to monitor at the bottom of the forum index, as they are on most forums. EM is doing well relative to a couple of other forums I follow that deal with similar subject matter, but "growth" isn't a term I'd use to describe the overall picture!)

It's mostly attributable to relatively stable U.S. fuel prices -- it's gone up & down a little, but they're at the same place now they were 2 years ago. Result: habituation & apathy leading to fewer people searching for solutions to a perceived problem.

That said, I'm not particularly alarmed by the current state of the forum. Activity ebbs & flows for a variety of reasons. It will flow again, and ebb again.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
UltArc (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
Metro, you've mentioned oil prices being a major factor, have you noticed anything else contributing to new membership? (Obviously you need to write big oil and tell them to raise prices )

You say you and the other admins are satisfied without social media, but it seems some would like to pursue it nonetheless. Would you be willing to let a select few create a social media portfolio on behalf of EM (either with or without collaboration with the admin team)?

We have all benefited from this community and I think some of us just want to show a token of our appreciation as well as showing other people the 'light'. (Send us on our mission )

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Once upon a time the Gassavers site was good but then the HHO idiots took it over... they're gone but it's still on life support.

Reply  Post New Thread