Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Some how the order of my videos got switched. You get the point though.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I get the point, but your point is false.

ICE fires are no joke. I'd much rather crash in an EV than an ICE vehicle. That said, it probably doesn't matter much where the fire begins, because once the rest of the vehicle catches fire, it will burn to the frame.

I have witnessed 2 bad ICE fires. In the first, a Durango caught fire and within 2 min not even the back seats were clear of the flames. I know, because I tried to remove the audio amp before the flames could reach it, and was unable to.

The other fire consumed the vehicle within seconds and the driver was burned (I don't know if they died on impact, or were burned alive). The firemen kinda just let it burn a little before putting it out after having looked into the cabin and determining there was nobody getting out.

Anecdotes are dumb though, but not as dumb as arguing the opposite of statistical evidence.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The current statistical evidence is like comparing apples to oranges. The average age of cars on the road is 10-11 years. The majority of tesla vehicles have been built in the last few years. ICE fires are not only caused by accidents, but by other things such as short circuits and fuel leaks. These things are more common in older vehicles. When the average age of EV is comparable to ICE powered cars, then we can know that fires aren't less common in EVs just because they are newer.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are other things too. EVs are primarily owned by people who have more money. These people are also more likely to keep up on maintenance and other things than the average ICE owner, because they have money and paid more for their car.

This may be different for people who own a Leaf, but you get the point. No one who lives an apartment can own an EV anyway.

I think there are too many variables to compare the statistics like that.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

The model S has a titanium shield to prevent penetration from below:

https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.ne...kNDhi891zQ.gif

https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.ne...1d-CRPZcFg.gif

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (02-27-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #36 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
If they are willing to spend money on titanium that retails for around $100 per pound there must be something to it.

Damage to the battery pack and fuel tank is unusual because the whole design is based around protecting the fuel tank with the structure of the vehicle and it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
There are other things too. EVs are primarily owned by people who have more money. These people are also more likely to keep up on maintenance and other things than the average ICE owner, because they have money and paid more for their car.

This may be different for people who own a Leaf, but you get the point. No one who lives an apartment can own an EV anyway.

This is true.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 02-20-2019 at 11:26 PM..
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Not only the maintenance costs are more affordable to them, but also the EVs are often perceived as less maintenance-intensive than an ICE-powered car. Well, maybe such perceived lack of complexity is likely to be troublesome once EVs eventually become mainstream or hybrids effectively take over even the so-called emerging markets.

Quote:
No one who lives an apartment can own an EV anyway.
The lack of a garage in the building where I live is what makes me more willing to get a motorcycle, for example.

Quote:
Sure the one-size-fits-all approach is prone to failure. While someone like me would rely on a motor vehicle mostly for road trips through places where a battery charging spot might be harder to find, and then at least some ICE-powered "range extender" would be highly desirable, others could live with a full-EV as they don't even get too far away from home.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That's a very nice feature. Is that the only model that comes with the shield?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Not only the maintenance costs are more affordable to them, but also the EVs are often perceived as less maintenance-intensive than an ICE-powered car. Well, maybe such perceived lack of complexity is likely to be troublesome once EVs eventually become mainstream or hybrids effectively take over even the so-called emerging markets.

The lack of a garage in the building where I live is what makes me more willing to get a motorcycle, for example.

Sure the one-size-fits-all approach is prone to failure. While someone like me would rely on a motor vehicle mostly for road trips through places where a battery charging spot might be harder to find, and then at least some ICE-powered "range extender" would be highly desirable, others could live with a full-EV as they don't even get too far away from home.
I'm sure in the distant future when a lot of people own EVs the percentage of vehicle fires will be much closer together. It's quite sad when people neglect their vehicles--I wonder how long an EV would last with those owners. You know it will be marketed as requiring less maintenance than a traditional vehicle.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
That's a very nice feature. Is that the only model that comes with the shield?

I'm sure in the distant future when a lot of people own EVs the percentage of vehicle fires will be much closer together. It's quite sad when people neglect their vehicles--I wonder how long an EV would last with those owners. You know it will be marketed as requiring less maintenance than a traditional vehicle.
As far as I know, the Model S is the only model. It was in response to a Tesla fire that was determined to be caused by something penetrating the undercarriage of the car. Perhaps they built a tougher undertray in the proceeding models.

What is there to neglect maintenance wise with an EV? Wiper fluid? Wipers? Tires?

You seem to be looking for ways to cast EVs in a negative light; ways which don't make any sense. There's plenty of reasons to not want an EV, such as the higher cost, the limited range, the slow charging... there's no need to create a false perception that they are also high maintenance or particularly prone to fire.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
As far as I know, the Model S is the only model. It was in response to a Tesla fire that was determined to be caused by something penetrating the undercarriage of the car. Perhaps they built a tougher undertray in the proceeding models.

What is there to neglect maintenance wise with an EV? Wiper fluid? Wipers? Tires?

You seem to be looking for ways to cast EVs in a negative light; ways which don't make any sense. There's plenty of reasons to not want an EV, such as the higher cost, the limited range, the slow charging... there's no need to create a false perception that they are also high maintenance or particularly prone to fire.
Is saying that there will be required maintenance casting EVs in a negative light? I don't understand your thinking. And I never said that they are more prone to fire.

There are plenty of things that will need maintaining in an electric car. Things like brakes, wheel bearings, suspension, steering, and battery cables. As EVs are developed to have more range they will likely be liquid cooled. I'm sure some already have this. Also shocks go bad over time, and there are also lubricants in the drivetrain. Over time parts in the motor will likely require replacing as well.

Reply  Post New Thread