Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
You could totally get an Insight.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Life is harder if you are stupid

Fatal error, moron at keyboard.

My brother decided it was a good idea to find the stomach flu on Tuesday. My car overheated on Wednesday, and I was trying to figure out how to test my compression tester when my stomach decided it was angry with me. I watched the last episode of "Monk," threw up, and did not accomplish anything else the rest of the day.

I guess that I got my pressure tester from O'Reilly. I found my receipt and was about to return it, but it said there was a forty-eight-hour deadline. I might as well have tried anyway, but I figured that I would use it again, and I have. The Autozone one was different (and 50% more expensive, although I liked it more), but it read 0 PSI for the first two cylinders. I did not test the others, I put in the spark plugs, borrowed a wire from the parts going into my Accord, and drove to Speedy Automotive here in Show Low. I have gone there many times over the last fourteen years and they have always treated me well, while I have not had consistently good experiences anywhere else.

Bry told me that they could not test for a bad head gasket without a radiator, so I bought one for $77 from Napa (with Veteran discount). All of the guys laughed at how small it was. Swapping it was easy enough. The most difficult part was finding the bracket. It had fallen between the radiator and the bumper. I filled up with distilled water, drove to that fire department, parked, and popped the hood.

The engine was not smoking, the radiator cap was a little warm, the hoses were warm, and I did thirty-five celebratory push-ups.

I drove home and tested compression with both kits at the same time. My kit read zero for each cylinder. The borrowed one read 0-0-150-180.

There also seemed to be a bit of an oily sheen when I topped off the radiator.

The car seems to drive well enough, but this will only get worse with time. I am trying to find a rebuild kit.

I could only find five 2000 - 2002 Insights in the entire country and zero 2003 - 2005s. If I had a million dollars I would fly to Gaithersburg, Maryland, purchase this one, and drive it back: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...572925510.html

This one is technically in Arizona, but nobody goes to Buckeye without an exceptionally good reason: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/c...591981261.html

$3,000 for an eighteen year-old car sounds awesome. That is almost as much as I paid for both of my cars combined! However, it has fewer miles than either of my cars had when I purchased them.

$3,975 for a 2001 Insight with 98,900 miles in Northern California: https://chico.craigslist.org/cto/d/2...592952921.html

$3,000 for a 2002 Insight with 374,000 miles in Wisconsin: https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto...562454415.html

$1,450 for a 2002 Insight without air conditioning and 230,000 miles in New Jersey: https://southjersey.craigslist.org/c...591954235.html

This one is currently going for $200 in Nebraska: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Honda-...Va94zv&vxp=mtr
Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
How about a Metro?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
The car seems to drive well enough
Confused! How is it even starting if it's got 2 dead cylinders? It must be running like a paint shaker!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-19-2018, 12:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Will you be fixing up the Accord for keeps then?
The first time that I drove the Accord after my brother walked on it I kept hearing something that sounded a great deal like a flexing roof, but I have not heard it since. I do not have any idea what to do but shrug off an anomaly. That means that all that it needs is:

1. Timing belt replacement
2. New catalytic converter
3. Fixing the OBD-II port (I may just need to re-secure it)
4. Try to pull some more dents from the roof.

There may be other things, but that is all that I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
How about a Metro?
Not even Metro recommended a Metro!

There are only five in the state and this is the least expensive: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...570297596.html
1992 LSI manual convertible for $1,850. How do you even put a convertible on the template?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Confused! How is it even starting if it's got 2 dead cylinders? It must be running like a paint shaker!
I feel that I need to perform a leakdown test to properly answer that. The mechanic said that if it did not hold compression the car would not idle. I imagine that I would have seen non-zero numbers for all cylinders if I had anyone to sit in the driver's seat, but by the time that I got out of the seat, around the door, and under the hood, it read zero. I could try again, with the Autozone gauge propped up with a wooden clamp so I could see it from the driver's seat if that would make you happy--or set up my tripod and record video.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I gotta agree with Metro. If it is running like you say, it ain't dead like you thought. Those zero compression numbers are not correct. You may save this car yet. Do some careful testing, starting with a retest of the compression, placing the gauge where you can see it from the driver seat. Also, the combustion gasses in the coolant tester, a so called block tester. Right now you are partially guessing what is wrong. Testing is better. Just my humble opinion.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Back when I had my supercharged Fox mustang, I forgot to put in 5 of the spark plugs and it still fired. I wondered why it cranked so long, but it ran for about 10 seconds because I was laughing so hard at how it was running (I knew what I did wrong).

[Edit]: Check your spark plugs people. I pull and check my spark plugs every single oil change.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I gotta agree with Metro. If it is running like you say, it ain't dead like you thought. Those zero compression numbers are not correct. You may save this car yet. Do some careful testing, starting with a retest of the compression, placing the gauge where you can see it from the driver seat. Also, the combustion gasses in the coolant tester, a so called block tester. Right now you are partially guessing what is wrong. Testing is better. Just my humble opinion.
I don't, and will never trust those combustion gas testers. I used one on my 4Runner before the engine completely let go. Two cylinders, TWO were blown and it didn't pick up anything. Hell, it was so bad I had to change the coolant every 200 miles to get it from turning into sludge!

Xist please don't trust those autozone gauges. Go spend 30 bucks and buy one from Harbor Freight. They work awesome.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The first time that I drove the Accord after my brother walked on it I kept hearing something that sounded a great deal like a flexing roof, but I have not heard it since. I do not have any idea what to do but shrug off an anomaly. That means that all that it needs is:

1. Timing belt replacement
2. New catalytic converter
3. Fixing the OBD-II port (I may just need to re-secure it)
4. Try to pull some more dents from the roof.

There may be other things, but that is all that I recall.
...and ecomodding it up to past 40 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Not even Metro recommended a Metro!
I'm honestly surprised by that! Metros are the embodiment of ultra cheap transportation with great FE.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 05-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Growin a stash

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...591144070.html

Personally, I wouldn't put too much more effort into the Civic.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Reply  Post New Thread