Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Jalilah - '07 Chevrolet Cobalt LT
90 day: 40.57 mpg (US)
The paint dried and I put the air dam on. I think it looks good, and i think it'll stay there, and hopefully won't scrape.

I'll post pictures later, but it's too dark to snap them right now. I could barely see the bolts at the end there. While i was sticking it to the bumper, I saw a beautiful spot to latch on the beginnings of my belly pan. The only thing i'm concerned about, If i use chloroplast, it'll be within about an inch of the oil pan. The oil pan is definitely sitting close to 200 degrees(F). What kind of temps can chloroplast take without deforming?? If you guys think it's a go, that could go on as early as saturday. It'll be easy really, and it'll get rid of the worst part of the underbody.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

this is an awsome thread. I am starting to eco-mod my 06 cobalt. dont want to thread jack so i'll just say good job and keep it up. when i get more details and pics/results of mine, i'll put info here on my thread. basics are "weight loss, unsprung weight loss, and massive aero mods". happy modding!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
this is an awsome thread. I am starting to eco-mod my 06 cobalt. dont want to thread jack so i'll just say good job and keep it up. when i get more details and pics/results of mine, i'll put info here on my thread. basics are "weight loss, unsprung weight loss, and massive aero mods". happy modding!
Thanks!

I'd love to see what you do to your car! Perhaps you can post a link here to your build thread, and make it easy for people to find!

Is your car an automatic, or a manual?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

its a manual.

bought the car for the purpose of ecomodding/racing/daily driver combo. goal is to see how reliable, liteweight, durable, fast, high mpg i can make it.

i have a temporary upper grill air dam..no negative effect to temps, positive increase in mpg's. lowered the car, started removing weight, lots more to throw out, 6 speed lsd.

future plans, lower more, front air dam, belly pan, lite weight body panels, lexan windows, a/c quick release for cold weather and track days. oh and its an SS/SC with a Stage II kit!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'd love to see a picture of your upper grill block. Mine didn't work out as well as i wanted it too, and i ended up removing it.

I Never had any difficulty with respect to the temperatures when i had the grill block in. Most of the time i couldn't even get the thermostat to open all the way (below 93 C).
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hey stevey:

here's the temporary block, cardboard, tape, paint, its just a template for the final, hopefully out of polycarbonate or carbon fiber. i also taped up the fog lights in the lower sides of the lower valence temporarily.
i think i have another idea for forming a frame to attach to for the upper grill block. for my yr/model as i am sure there is for yours, there are several aftermarket "mesh grill insert kits", i found one that provides "clip on" lower grill mesh (which i was going to fab anyway to protect my 3 stacked radiators) and an upper grill clip on mesh. i am thinking of using the upper mesh as the perfectly formed clip on frame to attach my block to. just trying to decide if its worth the $70 for something alrady cut to fit and ready to clip on. i also plan on enclosing a tunnel from the lower opening to force all the air into the radiator sandwhich, creating a little down force, and putting on a vented carbon fiber hood to get the hot air right out. is your lower air dam finished? looking to do that as well, out of thick rubber.[/IMG]

Last edited by turbodog; 07-04-2009 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: dbl pic post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
hey stevey:

here's the temporary block, cardboard, tape, paint, its just a template for the final, hopefully out of polycarbonate or carbon fiber. i also taped up the fog lights in the lower sides of the lower valence temporarily.
i think i have another idea for forming a frame to attach to for the upper grill block. for my yr/model as i am sure there is for yours, there are several aftermarket "mesh grill insert kits", i found one that provides "clip on" lower grill mesh (which i was going to fab anyway to protect my 3 stacked radiators) and an upper grill clip on mesh. i am thinking of using the upper mesh as the perfectly formed clip on frame to attach my block to. just trying to decide if its worth the $70 for something alrady cut to fit and ready to clip on. i also plan on enclosing a tunnel from the lower opening to force all the air into the radiator sandwhich, creating a little down force, and putting on a vented carbon fiber hood to get the hot air right out. is your lower air dam finished? looking to do that as well, out of thick rubber.[/IMG]
I've thought about those clips as well.

I finished the new air dam, and it's working out much better. I have to figure out how i'm going to put in a new grill block. I want to try and find some black Coroplast, so that when I get a stone chip in it, it's still black, and then cover the outside much like you did.

Good luck, and keep modding!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #78 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
Ive been thinking about getting a cobalt

Although my only option has been a "sport" coupe in auto

which means bigger engine and 17 wheels

great deal though

2008 with 5k miles for around 6g
Old 07-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaspirit View Post
Ive been thinking about getting a cobalt

Although my only option has been a "sport" coupe in auto

which means bigger engine and 17 wheels

great deal though

2008 with 5k miles for around 6g
Unless your talking about the SS, all Cobalts have the same engine. It's a 2.2L Ecotec, that is highly refined and reliable. Cobalts have their problems, but it's rare that you have problems with the drivetrain.

If it's an SS, I'd buy it and resell it! It's worth more then that!

The SS has a 2.0L turbocharged direct injection engine. I suspect that the 2.0L should be capable of better mileage then the 2.2 in the right hands, since it has direct injection that should allow for lean burn, plus it's a smaller displacement.

EIther way, it's a good deal, and i'd snap it up.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #80 (permalink)
is not covered in bees.

Honda - '05 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 27.16 mpg (US)

Insight - '00 Honda Insight w A/C
90 day: 66.55 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Istas
And then swap in a manual trans! *grins*

Reply  Post New Thread