Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Amazed..

Happy Friday everyone!

Stubby79- Would love to have you as the first owner!!

Old Tele man- You pegged it, design completely based on Salt Flats belly tank racers..

ar5boosted- Totally agree on artwork color scheme on the next one...This one will be covered in sponsor/supporter logos pretty soon. (And as a fellow old timer, I totally agree on perceptions being real enough!)

Here are some more pics.. Will start a build/work thread soon if okay...

Have a great weekend,

Ray

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Original measuring.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	22135   Click image for larger version

Name:	First 100 Miler.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	22136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior- Old Dash.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	22137   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Level Dash At Night.jpg
Views:	2067
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	22138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights at night.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	22139  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	22140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hand shaping around canopy cropped.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	22141  

Last edited by Alien Vehicles; 07-07-2017 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Spelling!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alien Vehicles For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-07-2017), HHOTDI (05-28-2018), NeilBlanchard (07-25-2017), Xist (05-28-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
It looks like a nice effort. What sanctioning body's record are you going for?

Where does the 0.089 Cd figure come from?

This is the most informative. After the first pictures I thought you'd cut a full teardrop canopy in half. Do you think it would be possible to put sprockets on the top of the kingpins and run a chain inside the upper A-arm?
Old 07-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Amazed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It looks like a nice effort. What sanctioning body's record are you going for?

Where does the 0.089 Cd figure come from?

This is the most informative. After the first pictures I thought you'd cut a full teardrop canopy in half. Do you think it would be possible to put sprockets on the top of the kingpins and run a chain inside the upper A-arm?
Hey Freebeard! Thank you... Well, I'm not real smart when it comes to the sanctioning body stuff...planning on going for Guinness, and then just publishing our work with witnesses on our pr stuff...

On CDa, I'm not the Aero geek in the project, but the two guys that are did the math by hand...calculating square frontal area with laminar flow. Their numbers were actually (.087-.089) at 60 mph. They say it gets better past 100...but I don't think I'll be trying THAT this week!

Totally lost me on sprockets on the kingpins and chains in the A Arms???
The Following User Says Thank You to Alien Vehicles For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Small-f freebeard, I'm not that important.

What's the current Guiness record? I really don't follow them.

Generally, with sanctioning bodies, the rules determine what can and can be done. Of course, the most unbounded would be your inspiration — Bonneville. You could look into whether you can pass scrutineering there.

You might review the materials at http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post87799. I don't car to dig through it myself, but generally a free body in ground effect can have a Cd of 0.05-0.09. See also http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post289064

Once you add fully spatted wheels (three or four) it's hard to reach 0.12. When you figure in the open front A-arms it goes north of that. You might send a Personal Message to aerohead and invite his comment. I think he would like to see it.

That other thought was unpremeditated. If the top of the kingpin passed through the upper Heim joint or whatever to a sprocket, then a chain running in the hollow upper A-arm would allow eliminating the drag from the steering arms and the drag link/idler arms (or whtvr). Those small round tubes probably have as much drag as the A-arms which are thicker but have a better fineness ratio.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Alien Vehicles (07-25-2017), California98Civic (07-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
Where'd you get the canopy?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Alien Vehicles (07-25-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Kudos on such a good looking and working build! I think the wheels, the front arms connecting them to the body, and their lackof fairings mean the Cd your people calculated is probably optimistic. Looking for fairings for those wheels and arms is definitely one of the key places to improve that disappointing 69mpg you just recorded. Right now those tires and wspoked wheels are giant spinning mess-fans mucking up your aerobody's pretty nice shape.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 10.61 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 18.41 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.7 mpg (US)
Where did you get the lighting on the front of the exterior, I am liking that setup!

Staying Focus'd on MPG
The Following User Says Thank You to ECO-AKJ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
That's an interesting project. I have already considered to attempt something similar and try to register it as a road-legal vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm not that familiar with the 250 Ninja. Is that EFI or carbureted? MPG in the 70's might be due in part to enrichment. I think one of the later Megasquirt incarnations or something similar should be up to spark and fuel and would allow you to monitor what is going on with the engine. Gearing is another factor. What is the RPM at your targeted cruise speed?
The Following User Says Thank You to joemac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Thanks for posting, Ray. Kudos on going lightweight. I don't go to Facebook for anything, since they pretty much destroyed the functioning listservs without replacing their usefulness. As far as I can tell, nothing I posted there was ever seen, probably because I had not done whatever it takes to target my ads.
With the rear engine, I think you will have problems with crosswind stability, and they will get far worse if you add fairings to the front wheels. Those are currently adding about 50% to the drag. Beware of the fairings being unstable themselves, as the most obvious shape puts the CP ahead of the kingpin axis. If you have to, you can just offset the kingpins and spindles to get trail for both steering and aero instead of using a caster angle. It works fine.
You really need to do a coast-down test, and find out what your power requirements are. Timing several points lets you separate out rolling and aero drag. It would also be nice to get the weight distribution and CG height, which can be calculated by weighing the front and rear with each end lifted in turn.
There is a great account of the test results on a WWII fighter aircraft, from the original shape to one with cooling vents, guns, and other little details. The drag doubled. The devil is in the details, covering all spokes and managing the flow in shear between moving and stationary parts, minimizing or fully sealing openings, gently ducting and closely regulating the cooling air, etc. Laminar flow is very seldom present on road vehicles, as the slightest blemish or irregularity trips it to regular turbulent flow, spreading out at 30 deg from there back. The back wheel looks nice, but expensive on fuel.
The windshield/roof will bake you on a sunny day, and the angle somewhat impairs vision, especially if there are any manufacturing defects. It will need a defroster, being hard to reach, and an outside wiper that won't scratch it with road grit.
If you are using 17" wheels, you might be able to pry loose a set of Michelin solar race car tires, which would probably halve your rolling drag. Maybe we should set up some sort of petition or PR campaign to make those generally available.

Last edited by Bicycle Bob; 07-24-2017 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Noticed the second page, and thought some more.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
Alien Vehicles (07-26-2017), Frank Lee (07-24-2017), freebeard (07-24-2017), HHOTDI (05-28-2018), MetroMPG (05-31-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread