Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi t vago
I am having the following compilation error in Version 20170210.

I'm sorry but I already solved the mistake I had not set the board well.
Thanks
José Rodrigues

Last edited by josemapiro; 02-10-2017 at 01:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to josemapiro For This Useful Post:
t vago (02-10-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #72 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
a:"Arduino/Genuino Uno"
You're trying to compile for an Arduino Uno?
The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
josemapiro (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
You're trying to compile for an Arduino Uno?
Yes, I know, I only noticed once you've posted

Thanks
José Rodrigues
t vago (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello Thomas,

Let me finally say thank you for the amazing code!

I've built mpguinos to use with your code, and I use them daily, from the breadboard mess to the current much made one.

I want to add thermometer and maybe voltmeter to the next one, using four line display with upper half for mpguino and lower half constantly showing temperature.

Do you have any experience with temp sensors? I like ds18b20, but it uses 'onewire' interface which supposedly doesn't work well or interfere with software which uses interrupts.
It's more convenient to use 'digital' sensors I think - would I2C or SPI device work well with the code in your opinion?

Your well refined code is lightyears too advanced for me, despite heap of comments. I hope I will grasp the basics
If I wanted to put something in the "main loop", I would just whack it in the end of code? I guess some traditional for loops wouldn't mess up the timings since they are interrupt based?

I hope you don't mind those noob questions.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #75 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntoobe View Post
Let me finally say thank you for the amazing code!
Thank you for your praise! I appreciate it very much!

Quote:
I want to add thermometer and maybe voltmeter to the next one, using four line display with upper half for mpguino and lower half constantly showing temperature.

Do you have any experience with temp sensors? I like ds18b20, but it uses 'onewire' interface which supposedly doesn't work well or interfere with software which uses interrupts.
It's more convenient to use 'digital' sensors I think - would I2C or SPI device work well with the code in your opinion?
It would be a challenge to implement 1-wire with the code. It is probably do-able, but I would only use 1-wire sampling for pure display purposes.

I think that I2C would be better suited for what you want to do, as there is already an I2C support section built into MPGuino now.

Quote:
Your well refined code is lightyears too advanced for me, despite heap of comments. I hope I will grasp the basics
If I wanted to put something in the "main loop", I would just whack it in the end of code? I guess some traditional for loops wouldn't mess up the timings since they are interrupt based?

I hope you don't mind those noob questions.
There are three sections within the main loop - the sampling section which transfers raw injector and VSS signal data from the interrupt world into the main program world, the button checking section which handles button presses, and the display section which actually displays the calculations.

In addition, MPGuino is fundamentally incompatible with the Arduino-specific libraries. It was done this way so many years ago, because the Arduino-specific libraries were not robust enough for use, and they consumed too much program and RAM memory for what they did. I did an experiment not too long ago, and verified this is still the case with regard to 64-bit math.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi t vago
I'm sorry I still have not said anything, but these days I've been busy and I could not give my opinion, but here it is.
This version as you know has many changes so I will not even talk about everything, I will direct me more to the menu. To begin with I think that the menu should be accessed through the middle button and not as it is now with the two buttons.
Then maybe you should have the main menus as "Main Display, Big numbers, Statistics, Clock, Coastdown, System information, Settings" and then if necessary sub-menus.
Code:
Ex: "Settings:"
Sub menus: "LCD:" Brightness, Contrast, Color, Unit of Measure, etc.
           "Injectors:" all injector configurations, ChryslerMAP, etc.
           "Clock:" Set the time and (date) when it is implemented.
           "DragRace:" All settings for this menu
           "Coast Down Calculator:"  All settings for this menu
           "Partial Refuel:" All settings for this menu
           "Load / Save:" All settings for this menu
And other sub-menus that are deemed necessary, at the end of each sub-menu the option to go back.
What do you think of this idea?

Thanks
José Rodrigues
t vago (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #77 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemapiro View Post
Hi t vago
I'm sorry I still have not said anything, but these days I've been busy and I could not give my opinion, but here it is.
I've been busy, too. No worries.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to separate out the coefficient of lift term from the coastdown equation. Lift, with regard to coastdown testing, is not something that is commonly discussed, but it is there. It varies as the square of speed, so it will affect the measurement of the coefficient of drag. It changes the amount of weight seen by the wheels, thus it changes the tire deflection, and therefore affects the measurement of the coefficient of rolling resistance.

Quote:
This version as you know has many changes so I will not even talk about everything, I will direct me more to the menu. To begin with I think that the menu should be accessed through the middle button and not as it is now with the two buttons.
I just need an idea of how to manually change the backlight brightness of the LCD screen. It was never meant to be a stored parameter. It needs to be immediately accessible... Hm, maybe a long press of the center button.

Quote:
Then maybe you should have the main menus as "Main Display, Big numbers, Statistics, Clock, Coastdown, System information, Settings" and then if necessary sub-menus.
Code:
Ex: "Settings:"
Sub menus: "LCD:" Brightness, Contrast, Color, Unit of Measure, etc.
           "Injectors:" all injector configurations, ChryslerMAP, etc.
           "Clock:" Set the time and (date) when it is implemented.
           "DragRace:" All settings for this menu
           "Coast Down Calculator:"  All settings for this menu
           "Partial Refuel:" All settings for this menu
           "Load / Save:" All settings for this menu
And other sub-menus that are deemed necessary, at the end of each sub-menu the option to go back.
What do you think of this idea?
Very nice idea. Just have to modify the menu code to support sub-menus.

What would "Statistics" be?
josemapiro (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi t vago
Quote:
Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to separate out the coefficient of lift term from the coastdown equation. Lift, with regard to coastdown testing, is not something that is commonly discussed, but it is there. It varies as the square of speed, so it will affect the measurement of the coefficient of drag. It changes the amount of weight seen by the wheels, thus it changes the tire deflection, and therefore affects the measurement of the coefficient of rolling resistance.
To tell you the truth I still have not understood how it works or how I can use it.

Quote:
I just need an idea of how to manually change the backlight brightness of the LCD screen. It was never meant to be a stored parameter. It needs to be immediately accessible... Hm, maybe a long press of the middle button.
The idea is not to create something new but to use what already exists but in a different place, currently it is done through the central button, but when using this button for the menu you have to change the brightness to another place and it seems to me that In the lcd settings.

Quote:
What would "Statistics" be?
I do not know if the name is the correct one, but it was what occurred to me, my idea is to include the graphics, DiffFE / Time, FE / Time, FE / Speed, Fuel Used/Speed, RunTime / Speed, Distance / Speed, and others that also have to do with the statistical part.

Thanks
José Rodrigues
Old 02-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi t vago
I have noticed that MPGuino does not always wake up when the car is started, sometimes it is only when the car starts to move that it wakes up.
The screen change when the car is stopped was intentional or is a failure, if it is intentional, one should increase the time to see the values, as it is not enough time.
What are the values of the car that are essential to using the coastdown function.
The auto-selecting EOC, idle screens is excellent, and the buttons are also more accurate.
Very good job.

Thanks
José Rodrigues

Last edited by josemapiro; 02-20-2017 at 06:53 PM..
t vago (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #80 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
I have noticed that MPGuino does not always wake up when the car is started, sometimes it is only when the car starts to move that it wakes up.
That's kind of weird. Might be a bug in the injector reading code. I'll look into it.

Quote:
The screen change when the car is stopped was intentional or is a failure, if it is intentional, one should increase the time to see the values, as it is not enough time.
You can change the park (vehicle stopped, engine off) timeout in the settings from 2 seconds to however many seconds you want (up to 255 seconds).

The park timeout was meant to be short because the park timeout causes auto-saving to occur, and after the auto-save occurred, the user could then actually switch off the MPGuino (say, with using a switched ignition voltage source rather than a battery voltage source).

I am puzzled, though - apart from showing that the auto-save occurred, the park timeout screen should be exactly the same as the normal screen. The only time the screen changes is when the idle or EOC timeouts occur, or when the inactivity timeout is reached. You say the park timeout screen changes? Can you show me with a YouTube vid?

Quote:
What are the values of the car that are essential to using the coastdown function.
The coastdown test code uses these stored parameters.

Code:
	FrArea*1000 ft^2 or m^2 - vehicle frontal area
	rho*1000 - air density at the time of the coastdown test
	Cd SamplePd (s) - the period between actual coastdown samples
These stored parameters are returned by the coastdown test code

Code:
	C(d) * 1000 - calculated by the coastdown test code
	C(v) * 1000 - calculated by the coastdown test code
	C(rr) * 1000 - calculated by the coastdown test code
Quote:
The auto-selecting EOC, idle screens is excellent, and the buttons are also more accurate.
Very good job.
Thank you!

josemapiro (02-23-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
mpguino, peak and hold