Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Could it possibly be the v-tech solenoid gasket? Someone asked me earlier today if it's ever been changed and I said no. Because I'm sure it never has.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the v-tec gasket.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Lots of great points here... you need to do some testing. Start with the cleaning recommended above so you can get the clearest possible read on where the leak originates. You could test for a head gasket leak. I did it recently. $7 or $8 at an O'Reilly and no crawling under the car or even leaning over it much (remembering your earlier back problems) would give you a definitive answer on the head gasket.

It's funny how similar our car problems are at the moment. I am chasing down fluid leaks and just cleaned engine block areas showing leakage so I can get a better read on where oil seems to be coming from. I am suspicious of the dizzy's o-ring seal. Hahaha! Synchronicity.

Good luck. Hang in there.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Lots of great points here... you need to do some testing. Start with the cleaning recommended above so you can get the clearest possible read on where the leak originates. You could test for a head gasket leak. I did it recently. $7 or $8 at an O'Reilly and no crawling under the car or even leaning over it much (remembering your earlier back problems) would give you a definitive answer on the head gasket.

It's funny how similar our car problems are at the moment. I am chasing down fluid leaks and just cleaned engine block areas showing leakage so I can get a better read on where oil seems to be coming from. I am suspicious of the dizzy's o-ring seal. Hahaha! Synchronicity.

Good luck. Hang in there.
I remember seeing that post, what is it called exactly? I just got paid today so I'm gonna go ahead and do that... Also, the dizzy o'ring took me like 45 mins to change and that's with taking 2 breaks due to pain. I was amazed on how easy it was to do it myself. If you haven't done it, you might as well just do it so it doesn't start leaking in the future.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I remember seeing that post, what is it called exactly?
The head gasket test is in my modding thread, linked in the signature file below. It was really recent so it will be on one of the last pages.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Well I got the car smogged today and it passed with flying colors, so at least my engine is healthy in that department. A tranny swap to taller gears is out of the question, however. I drove it to work for the first time today, and I had to run in 4th gear just to maintain speed on some of my journey. I can't imagine taller gears really doing me any good, they might even be troublesome in the future. I haven't had time to get the block test done or replace the solenoid gasket but I should have time Monday.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I figured you would come to that conclusion after I saw the kind of grades you'll be driving on. Maybe with some aeromods and weight reduction you'll be able to stay in 5th.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Your fourth gear is probably about the RPM/MPH range of a 1997 Civic EX. I drop to fourth in some places and in one place then down to third. No problem. Hill climbed. All I am doing is roughly matching what I used to do on the same hills in fourth of fifth with my old transmission. But with the CX/VX trans swap, I also have access to a much taller fifth when I want it for the flats cruising. Just downshift, you'll be fine on them thar hills. But I agree... don't swap a perfectly good HX tranny unless you have to. I only did the swap because I thought I needed urgent rebuilding in my old DX trans. It could use rebuilding, it turns out, but it was never urgent or necessary. I was miss-diagnosing a friction sound I was hearing.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
I figured you would come to that conclusion after I saw the kind of grades you'll be driving on. Maybe with some aeromods and weight reduction you'll be able to stay in 5th.
Yea haha. And that's what I'm hoping for, I can almost, almost stay in fifth, but just not quite. I'm hoping with a proper grill block, underbelly pan, mud flap delete and repair of my dented hood + gap filling I will be able to, but we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Your fourth gear is probably about the RPM/MPH range of a 1997 Civic EX. I drop to fourth in some places and in one place then down to third. No problem. Hill climbed. All I am doing is roughly matching what I used to do on the same hills in fourth of fifth with my old transmission. But with the CX/VX trans swap, I also have access to a much taller fifth when I want it for the flats cruising. Just downshift, you'll be fine on them thar hills. But I agree... don't swap a perfectly good HX tranny unless you have to. I only did the swap because I thought I needed urgent rebuilding in my old DX trans. It could use rebuilding, it turns out, but it was never urgent or necessary. I was miss-diagnosing a friction sound I was hearing.
You have to understand, it's not just a quick climb, the part of my commute I'm talking about is just around 8 miles.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Oh **** Opps LOL. I did a 75% lower grill block, and my alarm went off on UG for 217F coolant temp, and by the time I got where I was going my engine was 235 and smoking LOLOL. No grill block for me in 106F outside temps.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

eco-crx - '90 honda crx hf
Team Honda
90 day: 56.89 mpg (US)
Ouch!

That is scary,with the heat lately it does have me worried about putting one on my CRX,even though it's 90% hwy miles I log.

Take it easy on her,will ya?

Reply  Post New Thread