Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,423

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
I've been focusing in the wrong area on this car for a wee while- time to get back to basics!

I bought this car primarily for its economy- so time to look at maximising the MPG.

The first goal will be to get back into the top 10 Diesel cars- to do this I need to get past the Panzerwagon owned by Runningstrong. His fuel log is testament to his hard work in getting to the 53.88US mpg achieved so far.

For me to get near him, I'll need to see a6% increase in my mpg- no sime task.

Currently the car is remapped for HP/torque, but done in such a way that low loads mean that it performs almost like stock.

For this tank I intend to see how well I can do on the current map whilst commuting to work. The route is 24 miles each way, of which 3 miles are town driving, 4 are A road and 17 are Motorway (the m80 near Glasgow).

I commute at peak times, and have encountered some tailbacks on every journey.

Here's a look at what I've achieved so far- looking at my initial and latest runs.

Monday Morning- 62.28mpg (51.86 US) actual (allowing for 10%over read on obc)


Monday evening-58.14mpg (48.41US)


AVERAGE= 60.21mpg (50.14US)

Wednesday Morning- 64.17mpg (53.43US)


Wednesday Evening- 63.27mpg (52.68US)


AVERAGE= 63.72mpg (53.06US)

Heading in the right direction at least

__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Saab 9-5 2.0t Estate


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 320touring For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (08-12-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 43

Spanish whip - '12 Seat Ibiza ST E-Ecomotive 1.2 TDI
90 day: 53.84 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Nicely done.

You got me motivated to start tuning the ecu on my tdi.

I had a 1.9 Octavia estate with 110 hp for a year. For me the average consumption was 51.5 mpg. Best tank I ever got was 62.9 mpg.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,423

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hege View Post
Nicely done.

You got me motivated to start tuning the ecu on my tdi.

I had a 1.9 Octavia estate with 110 hp for a year. For me the average consumption was 51.5 mpg. Best tank I ever got was 62.9 mpg.

cheers! still going ok today. I may spend some time over the next couple of weeks planning out an ecomap
__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Saab 9-5 2.0t Estate


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Wannabe hyper..., miler !
 
bikeprof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pagosa Springs & Phoenix
Posts: 186

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
Thanks: 146
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Make sure to disable the EGR before running on vegetable oil. Nothing clogs an intake faster than vegetable oil polymers.
YES! VEGGIE oil WILL create a wall, no air flow eventually

1. KONI with new lower springs, the best for good driving without being way harsh(Bilsteins blew out on me)
2. LARGER turbo, better torque curve/better city driving(less shifting)

BTW, your MPG is good :-)

Last edited by bikeprof; 08-13-2015 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: added stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,423

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof View Post
YES! VEGGIE oil WILL create a wall, no air flow eventually

1. KONI with new lower springs, the best for good driving without being way harsh(Bilsteins blew out on me)
2. LARGER turbo, better torque curve/better city driving(less shifting)

BTW, your MPG is good :-)

I'll be removing the egr as soon as I get a blanking plate and work out how to map out the egr so the eml does not come on.

cheers re Koni-will look into it.

Looking at possibly a pd130 or pd150 turbo if I can find one cheap
__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Saab 9-5 2.0t Estate


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
Wannabe hyper..., miler !
 
bikeprof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pagosa Springs & Phoenix
Posts: 186

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
Thanks: 146
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
I'll be removing the egr as soon as I get a blanking plate and work out how to map out the egr so the eml does not come on.

cheers re Koni-will look into it.

Looking at possibly a pd130 or pd150 turbo if I can find one cheap
YES! That would be good for the breathing, BOTH the EGR removal and larger turbo !
Go to fred'stdi.com and check out the vendor section, there are a couple of turbo/parts vendors there One being X-man...
(european BTW...)

KONI's have adjustment. 3 spots--soft, medium(where mine are adjusted) and firm(more like track days). Although release of tension is necessary for adjustment, I really need the availability of such...

Good luck!
PS. Cover your Skoda rust spots with rust/salt neutralizer; body, etc will last longer :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,423

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof View Post
YES! That would be good for the breathing, BOTH the EGR removal and larger turbo !
Go to fred'stdi.com and check out the vendor section, there are a couple of turbo/parts vendors there One being X-man...
(european BTW...)

KONI's have adjustment. 3 spots--soft, medium(where mine are adjusted) and firm(more like track days). Although release of tension is necessary for adjustment, I really need the availability of such...

Good luck!
PS. Cover your Skoda rust spots with rust/salt neutralizer; body, etc will last longer :-)

Looked at the Konis- 4 of them would be 2x the cost of the car, whereas 4 Billies will be 75% of car cost.

thanks for tips re turbos- need to get a good looka t the car to make sure its worth spending the money on.

also need to decide if I'm doing the timing belt
__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Saab 9-5 2.0t Estate


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
Wannabe hyper..., miler !
 
bikeprof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pagosa Springs & Phoenix
Posts: 186

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
Thanks: 146
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
Looked at the Konis- 4 of them would be 2x the cost of the car, whereas 4 Billies will be 75% of car cost.

thanks for tips re turbos- need to get a good looka t the car to make sure its worth spending the money on.

also need to decide if I'm doing the timing belt
TIMING BELT ? That is a HAVE TO...
Unless the previous owners are your family and YOU took the car to mechanic, DO THE TIMING BELT ! Otherwise the cost of the R & R would be 5-6 the value of your car, just for the engine + labor

PS. I have the KONI and they ARE worth the extra money. Would someone around you have a VW with KONI's ? See if you can drive or be in it, you'll feel the difference :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,423

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof View Post
TIMING BELT ? That is a HAVE TO...
Unless the previous owners are your family and YOU took the car to mechanic, DO THE TIMING BELT ! Otherwise the cost of the R & R would be 5-6 the value of your car, just for the engine + labor

PS. I have the KONI and they ARE worth the extra money. Would someone around you have a VW with KONI's ? See if you can drive or be in it, you'll feel the difference :-)
at the cost of the car (200/$310) its a case of cambelt roulette to be honest. If it dies before I fit it, no great loss.

that said, should it appear solid at the weekend I may spend out a bit on it for prventative maintenance..
__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Saab 9-5 2.0t Estate


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,423

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Took the Octavia to head to my mother's birthday shindig yesterday.

Approaching a queue of traffic on the m74, the brakes felt odd.

300 yards later on the sliproad and I had no footbrake to speak of.

mildly troublesome.

I ditched it with a few profanities and went about my business.

Today I managed to get a look- and it looks like a rear wheel cylinder has failed comprehensively.







luckily a local parts emporium had replacements in stock- so I purchased 2 and some brake fluid.

I'll replace both I think as it was not a pleasant experience

__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Saab 9-5 2.0t Estate


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 320touring For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (08-15-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com