Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #111 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Ran my first commute with my new Civic. Looks like I underfilled (I hope!) at the start, as I only got 29.9 mpg. Granted I haven't even checked the tire pressure or just about anything else. Started EOC'ing towards the end, but did us the A/C quite a bit. Hrm. Beaded seats are looking good.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
go to a fabric store and look for sheet plastic, they should have it in several thicknesses and its like 6' wide by however long the roll is It stands up to sunlight reasonably well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can also get clear plastic at upholstery shops that make/repair cloth cockpit/deck enclosures for boats. Clear vinyl comes in several thicknesses as well.
Went to Joanne fabric's and they have the perfect clear plastic Vinyl, and the one was a really good thickness. I just realized since the plastic is more skin-like instead of sheet-like, I could potentially make the frame both removable, and collapsible to fit in the hatch!

I've been engineering this project in my head for a while now shopping for potential components. The reason i wanted clear plastic is because i don't want to remove the bumper, block any of the tail lights, or have to move the licence plate.

Would it be best to rivet, staple, or glue this Vinyl skin to the frame? It's a really good thickness that it won't stretch or tear.

I'm going to start putting some designs on paper and post them here soon enough so i can get some feedback.

If it turns out to be a good idea, i'll leave the plans here so anyone can make it simply and cheaply.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #113 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Hmmmm - - beaded seats.
I just removed my a/c belt because the compressor froze up. Maybe beaded seat covers will get me and my carpool partner through the hot weather??

This weekend's project:
(Alt was disconnected back in March.)
Install approx 100AH lead-acid deep cycle marine battery as a "partner" to my lithium deep cycle. The marine battery will handle headlights and the starter to enable running several hours with headlights on.

Installed! Circuit is switched so car can run either if the two deep cycle batts, but headlights always run off the big lead acid now.

Last edited by brucepick; 08-05-2012 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #114 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Went to Joanne fabric's and they have the perfect clear plastic Vinyl, and the one was a really good thickness. I just realized since the plastic is more skin-like instead of sheet-like, I could potentially make the frame both removable, and collapsible to fit in the hatch!

I've been engineering this project in my head for a while now shopping for potential components. The reason i wanted clear plastic is because i don't want to remove the bumper, block any of the tail lights, or have to move the license plate.

Would it be best to rivet, staple, or glue this Vinyl skin to the frame? It's a really good thickness that it won't stretch or tear.

I'm going to start putting some designs on paper and post them here soon enough so i can get some feedback.

If it turns out to be a good idea, i'll leave the plans here so anyone can make it simply and cheaply.
time to start a new thread

as for attaching, glue does not stick well, epoxy is ok. heat welding to itself works well. staples and screws with fender washers can work well too.

just be careful about the license plate, cops tend to be picky about being able to see it well. much plastic and they might not see it soon enough to avoid pulling you over for no (or obscured) plates (easy ticket and easy to defend in court,).
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #115 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

Team Honda
I'm new to 6th generation Civics, but generally I know how to fill a fuel tank. I'm having some real inconsistency going on right now. After driving 182km I couldn't cram in much more than 5L. To the point gas was visible in the filler neck. I was trying very hard this commute, but this is just silly. Drove around the parking lot and tried a different pump but could only cram in a tiny bit more. Should have been closer to 9 or 10L.

Any thoughts? I sure did not get 82mpg today.

Suppose I could fill once a week now.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #116 (permalink)

If your filling your tank every day i'd expect the number to be highly inaccurate.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #117 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Maybe you did get 82 mpg, though that would be surprising. Maybe your odometer is reading wrong?? Calibrate it with a GPS as soon as you're able.

Correct tire size (mine: 185/65-14) ?? Pumped up?

I'm just trying to think of possible explanations. Looks like you're doing well with the Civic!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #118 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

Team Honda
I'm sure I didn't actually get 82mpg, but I'm not doing as badly as I thought either. I think I was jumping the gun and just excited to see how I was actually doing. Right now the UG simply isn't calibrated for this car. Today's 200km commute only moved the fuel gauge needle a little bit, just under F but still above the full line, so I seem to be on track. We'll see as the week progresses.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #119 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Try filling slowly. Not just at the end, but from the very start of the fill. I find I get persistent bubbles in the tank if I start out fast. I fill slower than the lowest stop on the handle, so I have to hold it manually, but I get much more consistent fills this way.

------------------------
I had a weekend drive to the next town.
84.2 mpg / 57 miles there
96.5 / 54 back

My tank is looking good at 93 mpg, 768 miles and just below 1/2.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following User Says Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
pletby (08-07-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #120 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

Team Honda
Didn't take long for someone to break into my Civic. At least they were good enough that they didn't damage anything. Stole my socket set that I needed to work on my old car later in the day. Looks like someone interrupted them as they left my stereo on the passenger seat. Argh. All put together now but need to spend $150 to replace the tools. I'm getting on the kill switch and installing a motion sensor light for the parking area.

At least they won't be able to take the car when I'm done.

Reply  Post New Thread