Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #611 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
The wind and cold have been hurting my mpgs too, Damn weather.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #612 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

eco-crx - '90 honda crx hf
Team Honda
90 day: 56.89 mpg (US)
Just picked up a D15Z1 yesterday for my HF
Piecing together the rest of the bits with these coming paychecks.

Should be another 65+ mpg vehicle for the Honda team.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #613 (permalink)
This is a 91 Honda! HDY!

HDY! 91 Honda - '91 Honda Civic Base
Team Honda
Any ideas where to start if the car is dumping fuel? Rough idle, a bit of hesitation at steady speed on the interstate.

My gas cap is pressurized when I fill up. Pushing (mayble pulling, but definitely hissing) air when I take the cap off.

Just changed spark plugs last night, cap and rotor are new, unsure on the wires. The 1&4 plugs were DARK, and 2&3 were covered in oil from threads down to the electrode. Gonna try to get a valve cover gasket on this weekend, shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any ideas. Can't wait to get this thing tuned up and have an awesome Honda
Old 11-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #614 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCig View Post
Any ideas where to start if the car is dumping fuel? Rough idle, a bit of hesitation at steady speed on the interstate.

My gas cap is pressurized when I fill up. Pushing (mayble pulling, but definitely hissing) air when I take the cap off.

Just changed spark plugs last night, cap and rotor are new, unsure on the wires. The 1&4 plugs were DARK, and 2&3 were covered in oil from threads down to the electrode. Gonna try to get a valve cover gasket on this weekend, shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any ideas. Can't wait to get this thing tuned up and have an awesome Honda
You mentioned it burns a lot of oil, right? If the plugs are coated in oil that quickly, you are likely fouling out the plugs and getting little to no power out of those two cylinders.

I think I'd be looking seriously at a rebuild or replacement motor.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #615 (permalink)
This is a 91 Honda! HDY!

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
You mentioned it burns a lot of oil, right? If the plugs are coated in oil that quickly, you are likely fouling out the plugs and getting little to no power out of those two cylinders.

I think I'd be looking seriously at a rebuild or replacement motor.
I didn't. I'm starting to keep a "log" (mentally) of it. I know if it's using oil it's gonna be rings but if it's only leaking down it's going to be a valve cover. Since valve cover gasket is cheap, gonna try to get that done this weekend.

If it comes down to needing a rebuild, I'm gonna find a d15z1, or at least find out if it'll fit Just beginning my Honda journey. Only previous experience is owning a 2000 Accord a few years ago, and paying to have the engine replaced. I'm ready to tackle this sort of thing myself now (more resources).

I should probably replace the plug wires to be on the safe side. Maintenance history on those is unknown. They appear to be in good shape though.

It has a hot start problem if you touch the gas pedal at all while hitting the starter. Let it sit for a bit, and it starts first crank. That's about all I know to report right now.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #616 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Quote:

check your antifreeze. what color is it? do you see any oil in there?
open the radiator cap cold and warm the car up with the cap off. waTCH FOR BUBBLES! especially if you rev the engine and get bubbles. that would be leaking in. if it blows white smoke when you rev, it's leaking out.

possible blown head gasket not the end of the world, though
(I'm no master mechanic, just offering another possibility to check)
good luck!
victor

Last edited by vrmouseyd15b; 11-05-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #617 (permalink)
This is a 91 Honda! HDY!

Team Honda
Valid suggestion mouse. I'll check into it this weekend. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #618 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't. I'm starting to keep a "log" (mentally) of it. I know if it's using oil it's gonna be rings but if it's only leaking down it's going to be a valve cover. Since valve cover gasket is cheap, gonna try to get that done this weekend.

If it comes down to needing a rebuild, I'm gonna find a d15z1, or at least find out if it'll fit Just beginning my Honda journey. Only previous experience is owning a 2000 Accord a few years ago, and paying to have the engine replaced. I'm ready to tackle this sort of thing myself now (more resources).

I should probably replace the plug wires to be on the safe side. Maintenance history on those is unknown. They appear to be in good shape though.

It has a hot start problem if you touch the gas pedal at all while hitting the starter. Let it sit for a bit, and it starts first crank. That's about all I know to report right now.
Sorry, got you confused with another new Civic owner.

Still, if your plugs are fouling out that quickly from oil, there is a bad leak somewhere, most likely valve seals.

Valve cover gasket won't fix oil getting into the combustion chamber.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #619 (permalink)
This is a 91 Honda! HDY!

Team Honda
Ok, so I've gotta learn somewhere. What years of d15z1 should I be looking for to be able to swap it into the 91 civic?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #620 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so I've gotta learn somewhere. What years of d15z1 should I be looking for to be able to swap it into the 91 civic?
To my knowledge, the D15z1 was the same for all four production years it was paired with the VX trim: 1992-1995.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread