Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
You won't even complete the question before they hang up on you.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
1. Record the "This number has been disconnected message."
2. Set it to the outgoing message on your answering machine.
3. ???
4. Profit!

I only have a cell phone and I do not answer out-of-state numbers, but it seems like immediately asking "From what st--" and then filing a complaint on the website, if that really can track them down, should be enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I canceled my land line due to telemarketers and Bill collectors harassment.

And got a cell phone with 7-11 speakout that comes with call display , if I get any calls with a phone numbers not on my contact list I don't answer it. i still get about 5 calls a month from people I do not know / do not answer their calls.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Karma?

1, Talk to a person and ask to be removed from the list.

2, Answer as your local police department.

3, 3 simple letters, F, B, I. If they ask again, repeat the 3 letters. If they ask more, say this is the central, VA or where ever you really live FBI office.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (06-19-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
I've tried several methods but Rachel in particular is so UNRELENTLESS.

I've tried politely requesting to be put on THEIR DNC list.
HAHAHA. That's their "call me back" list.

Quote:
I've tried pressing the number that supposedly removes me from the call list.
That's the pacifier version of "call me again".
Quote:
I've tried feigning interest in their "service" to string them along, wasting as much of their time as possible. Occasionally that works, but many of them simply cut it short and hang up.

I've asked them for the business name; they usually hang up.
If you pretend to be hard of hearing or elderly this can often work and you can get the name of the company calling.
Quote:
I've tried pressing the phone dial keys as they tried to speak to me.
I've given them fake credit card numbers.
I've told them, "Let me go get my wallet" and then set the phone down. I'll hang it up, oh, 20 minutes later.
All these are a bigger waste of time than your having to drop what you are doing to answer the phone.

Quote:
My current tactic is to get the robocall, press the number that gets me to a live operator, then yell "**** OFF" into the phone as they are speaking.
Lately I've found that this DOES work. Yelling "GO F- YOURSELF!!!" does put a damper on a telemarketer's day. After all, they invited it by calling you; you didn't call them. So I tell them I have a message for them, then deliver my broadside at full volume.

Quote:
P.S. For the longest time I even told everyone I knew that I was letting my answering machine screen my calls, so please let my machine answer, I.D. yourself, then I'll pick up. That didn't work either.
To some degree this also works, because they will never leave a voice message. If the call is from someone you know, they will leave a message. If your phone rings but no message was left, you know it was from a telemarketer.

I've been on the DoNotCall list since its inception. Usually you can get the name of the company that called. But rarely will they reveal their phone number. The DNC list is not very good at blocking robocalls or those generated from offshore locations. Typically with a robocall, if you press a key to speak to a live rep, the rep has a heavy foreign accent and from the background chatter is obviously in a boiler room in India.

So far the "Go F- Yourself!" yelled at full volume tends to discourage repeat calls. Americans are far too polite, and sales reps are not used to hearing that phrase. If everyone did this the boiler room telemarketers might go deaf. Or they might at least understand enough English to realize that constantly hearing that phrase isn't going to produce any sales for them.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #26 (permalink)
Not Doug

I apologize, kind sir, but I just noticed that you informed us Rachel was not relentless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I've tried several methods but Rachel in particular is so UNRELENTLESS.
I remember a kid was on "Why Didn't I Think of That?!" who explained that he made a little box that you plugged in between your phone and the wall. When you received a call, it generated some clicks that emulated the sound the phone company apparently made when your phone was disconnected, so automated dialers would stop calling. The show tested it and said that it worked.

I happened to later find it at the dollar store.

How difficult would it be to create a similar device that simply generated white noise, a 10khz tone, or whatever, at the physical limits of the phone system? Couldn't you set it up to disconnect the phone, so you never hear it?

What would the telemarketers do if you temporarily deafened them?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

How difficult would it be to create a similar device that simply generated white noise, a 10khz tone, or whatever, at the physical limits of the phone system? Couldn't you set it up to disconnect the phone, so you never hear it?

What would the telemarketers do if you temporarily deafened them?
Unless you pay for caller ID you won't know who is calling. No device can select which calls to reject or know when to apply your device.

The whole reason why telemarketing calls are annoying it because they prompt you to answer the phone. It's even more annoying if you are expecting an important call and you have to get down off a ladder or hurry from the bathroom to answer the phone - only to find it's an unwanted sales pitch.

If you have voice mail you can ignore the ringing phone and return the call at your convenience if it's important. Other than that, if you happen to answer the phone you might as well tell the marketer not to call you again. The louder, more unpleasant and more strongly worded your response is, the better.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda 626 - '80 Mazda 626 Base
What you need to learn is a Nigerian accent, whatever it may be. Tell them you aren't telling the truth, then tell them you want to sent $1000 by Western Union, and that you'll send them a prungle or foolap if they do. Make up some words. Be creative.

Or, if you have a bunch or people over, have them all sing Happy Birthday to the telemarketer. This is great if you happen to get the guy's name. The effect would be equivalent to waving and smiling to a driver who just got mad at you for some reason and lets you know that he is mad.

We don't have telemarketers over, just telephone scammers.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Unless you pay for caller ID you won't know who is calling. No device can select which calls to reject or know when to apply your device.

The whole reason why telemarketing calls are annoying it because they prompt you to answer the phone. It's even more annoying if you are expecting an important call and you have to get down off a ladder or hurry from the bathroom to answer the phone - only to find it's an unwanted sales pitch.

If you have voice mail you can ignore the ringing phone and return the call at your convenience if it's important. Other than that, if you happen to answer the phone you might as well tell the marketer not to call you again. The louder, more unpleasant and more strongly worded your response is, the better.
I like how my sister's home phone announces who is calling, but she says only telemarketers use it.

Yes, that requires caller ID, and giving up your rotary phone.

With that kid's device, everybody gets the clicking, but humans would think little or nothing of it, while machines would allegedly hang up immediately. With my idea, you have the satisfaction of sounding a foghorn in your antagonist's headset.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #30 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
How ironic- a telemarketer called just as I was watching a Sam Kinison video. I paused the video and gave him a wonderful Sam Kinison version of **** **U! Airhorns would be proud of me.

Reply  Post New Thread