Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #931 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 221

Boulevard - '09 Suzuki Boulevard C50

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback
Thanks: 122
Thanked 80 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The first step is the biggest - more range, top speed, power, better trim for just $2,000 extra. That's deliberate, no doubt. Once won over to upgrade from the base model people may look ahead and take another step up.
Very deliberate! As well as in that partial premium interior and the base autopilot feature together is just $5k.

As someone pointed out on a YouTube video, once they get the parking lot navigation released to the public, when people see Tesla cars driving up to their owners for them to load groceries into or to avoid a long walk in some inclement weather condition... it will be a huge selling point and many buyers will want that option.

Since that is software and not hardware feature, it make the car have a larger profit margin...

Once again they have made obvious that Tesla have purposefully limited the range and speed via software and can upgrade it later as made evident again during the upcoming release... Many people think that they are trying to make sure the Model 3 does not 'outdo' the Model S. I am sure that had to be part of it...

I assume that it was for both business and consistency/reliability that these limitations were in place and that after being out in the 'wild' (ie, the public's hands) the data coming back let Tesla see they could ease up on some of the limitations.

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ldjessee00 For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (03-02-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 03-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #932 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,181

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 318
Thanked 614 Times in 453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
Yes, and that they lowered the prices for several options/features.

Going to be interesting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ccn...60-million/amp

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/28/1...only-car-sales

1 billion of debt is due and Tesla is closing all its stores.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-02-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #933 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 221

Boulevard - '09 Suzuki Boulevard C50

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback
Thanks: 122
Thanked 80 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Not sure what the big deal is, Tesla has several billion in the bank in cash and is making money.

Since most buy the car online anyway, not sure closing most of the showrooms will make a big difference. Also, this gets around those states that were trying to block Tesla's from being sold in the state. Now that they have no showrooms/dealerships, maybe this will allow them to get around those kind of blocks?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #934 (permalink)
JSH
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,073

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 32
Thanked 559 Times in 386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
Not sure what the big deal is, Tesla has several billion in the bank in cash and is making money.

Since most buy the car online anyway, not sure closing most of the showrooms will make a big difference. Also, this gets around those states that were trying to block Tesla's from being sold in the state. Now that they have no showrooms/dealerships, maybe this will allow them to get around those kind of blocks?
The big deal is that Tesla is promising a Chinese factory, the Semi, the Model Y, and the new Roadster within 2 years. The Gigafactory alone will likely burn up all of Tesla's remaining cash this year. Where do they get money for tooling up 3 new models?

Tesla stock dropped 8% yesterday. Do you think the market is in the mood to loan Tesla another $5-6 billion in capital?

Closing their store in states that allow direct sales does nothing to allow Tesla to sell cars in states that don't allow direct sales.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:27 AM   #935 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
roflwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,490

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Thanks: 349
Thanked 120 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The big deal is that Tesla is promising a Chinese factory, the Semi, the Model Y, and the new Roadster within 2 years. The Gigafactory alone will likely burn up all of Tesla's remaining cash this year. Where do they get money for tooling up 3 new models?

Tesla stock dropped 8% yesterday. Do you think the market is in the mood to loan Tesla another $5-6 billion in capital?

Closing their store in states that allow direct sales does nothing to allow Tesla to sell cars in states that don't allow direct sales.
The Shanghai factory is mostly being financed locally, and the Semi and Roadster are likely going to be lower volume, especially initially, so I don't think they'll have trouble there. They'll spend some more at GF1, but I don't think it'll run them dry this year because Panasonic provides the capital for the battery production hardware. They'll need a decent chunk of change for the Model Y, probably more than for GF1, although keeping it close to the 3 should help with that.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/31...gigafactories/
  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
ldjessee00 (03-03-2019), RedDevil (03-02-2019), Xist (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #936 (permalink)
Growin a stash
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 559
Thanks: 321
Thanked 194 Times in 146 Posts
It looks like the Model 3 is on track to be the next Toyota Camry. I already see them everywhere, several per day.

It's kind of funny that the biggest risk to Tesla now seem to be Elon's Twitter habit. Put that into perspective.
__________________


2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (03-05-2019), wdb (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #937 (permalink)
JSH
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,073

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 32
Thanked 559 Times in 386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
The Shanghai factory is mostly being financed locally, and the Semi and Roadster are likely going to be lower volume, especially initially, so I don't think they'll have trouble there. They'll spend some more at GF1, but I don't think it'll run them dry this year because Panasonic provides the capital for the battery production hardware. They'll need a decent chunk of change for the Model Y, probably more than for GF1, although keeping it close to the 3 should help with that.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/31...gigafactories/

The Semi will share almost nothing with any of the Tesla's current vehicles so they are starting from scratch. Even low volume production will be very expensive to tool up.

The Roadster is low volume but that doesn't make the tools any less expensive. A stamping tool is a stamping tool. (Unless we are talking soft tooling that will only run hundreds of parts). Tooling the body in white and interior panels will cost the same as a high-volume car.

The Model Y does share a large percentage of parts with the Model 3 but that includes things like nuts and bolts. The most expensive parts like body panels will be unique.

Tesla will need to kick off long-lead-time tooling at least 1 year before production so for 2020 production those tools need to be kicked off this year. Industry standards is 30% upfront for design / 30% to order materials and start building the tool.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #938 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 10,856
Thanks: 17,144
Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,502 Posts
CBS News says low-cost Model 3 is available now

The other night,the CBS Evening News reported that Tesla, entry-level,low-cost Model 3 has been released for sale.
They mentioned that the store closures are a cost-cutting move.They want to concentrate on production.
Consumer Reports has pulled their recommendation for the Model 3,citing fit and finish issues and one other criteria that I didn't capture from the broadcast.Sorry!
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (03-05-2019), RedDevil (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #939 (permalink)
In the fasting lane
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
Posts: 3,645

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 51.36 mpg (US)

It - '09 Hyundai I10 Active Cool
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.58 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,455
Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The other night,the CBS Evening News reported that Tesla, entry-level,low-cost Model 3 has been released for sale.
They mentioned that the store closures are a cost-cutting move.They want to concentrate on production.
Consumer Reports has pulled their recommendation for the Model 3,citing fit and finish issues and one other criteria that I didn't capture from the broadcast.Sorry!
Yup
The CR report is remarkable, as the data from the survey which was used to pull the recommendation also showed the Model 3 to be the car its owners were most content with. The survey asked what problems users had come across but failed to investigate how these were resolved, nor did it justice to the severity of the problems. Hence the bizarre #1 user satisfaction but no recommendation... Their blinders must be comfy.
__________________
2011 Honda Insight + HID, LEDs, tiny PV panel, extra brake pad return springs, neutral wheel alignment, 44/42 PSI (air), PHEV light (inop), tightened wheel nut.
lifetime FE over 0.16 Gmeter or 0.1 Mmile.



Most people are in the longest queue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #940 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
roflwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,490

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Thanks: 349
Thanked 120 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The Semi will share almost nothing with any of the Tesla's current vehicles so they are starting from scratch. Even low volume production will be very expensive to tool up.

The Roadster is low volume but that doesn't make the tools any less expensive. A stamping tool is a stamping tool. (Unless we are talking soft tooling that will only run hundreds of parts). Tooling the body in white and interior panels will cost the same as a high-volume car.

The Model Y does share a large percentage of parts with the Model 3 but that includes things like nuts and bolts. The most expensive parts like body panels will be unique.

Tesla will need to kick off long-lead-time tooling at least 1 year before production so for 2020 production those tools need to be kicked off this year. Industry standards is 30% upfront for design / 30% to order materials and start building the tool.
It'll be expensive, but I don't think it has to break the bank. A quick search suggests the Y will be between $200 million and $600 million for tooling. Apparently lower volume tooling can also be less expensive with the trade-off of being less durable, but I couldn't find anything on how much less.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-do-ca...to-manufacture

All things considered, I'm not sure how much the lines and tooling for the Y, Roadster, and Semi will cost, but Tesla has experience being involved in construction and can do at least some stuff in house. For instance one of their first acquisitions they made was a tool-and-die maker, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have some advantages in tooling costs.

https://phys.org/news/2015-05-tesla-...g-company.html

Tesla also seems fairly involved in construction and acts as their own contractor for the Gigafactory, which can be helpful.

https://www.buildzoom.com/blog/tesla...construction-2

  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (03-03-2019), Xist (03-02-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com