Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2021, 07:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekyaa View Post
Uhm, what? You actually write books yet cant make a coherent sentence. What state are we( the US) in exactly? You are in no position to determine that from your current location. Just as i am not in a position to determine the current state of your country. But let me back up a bit.
Lurk here often and rarely contribute. Upon first discovering this forum and your posts i was intrigued and interested. Subscribed to your YouTube channel for a bit. Then observed how you harshly treated others on this forum. Googled your name and found more than one forum where you got banned for being pompous and arrogant. Unsubscribed from your video channel and moved on. My late grandfather had a saying “those that do what they always have done will get what they have always got”. You said your goodbyes but just had to return and go point by point against what others here had to say. Now you are not only coming across as more pompous and arrogant, but can add to that the type of person that feels the need to get in the last word. Take care Julian. Signed someone that will never buy your books or watch your YouTube because Julian is a jerk.
That all seems a bit childish, but maybe that's just me?

I object - and object strongly - when people are spreading information that is quite incorrect, and others are then wasting their time in following that incorrect information.

I get very cross when people deliberately and with intent continue to disseminate that incorrect information, irrespective of any evidence that is presented to show how incorrect that information is. So yes, I am harsh on such people - frankly, I think they are a pox on advancement.

In most discussion groups there are enough people who know sufficient about the topic that clearly incorrect information gets shut down over time. Unfortunately, that's not the case in this sub-forum. Instead, and remarkably, the incorrect information gets accepted as common knowledge and is heavily defended when anyone points out how wrong it is. I've seen some really knowledgeable people come and go from this subforum - obviously leaving when they realise that correcting the misinformation is a waste of time as no-one takes any notice. (And one of those people helped me a great deal in one of my aero measurement techniques.)

It's very clear that the depth of confusion and misinformation that is spread here is completely unrecognised by nearly all of this subforum's participants. If the same rubbish was being posted in an area where people typically have a better understanding (eg measuring mileage) then it would have been called out long ago.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I get very cross when people deliberately and with intent continue to disseminate that incorrect information, irrespective of any evidence that is presented to show how incorrect that information is.
A good report will evaluate both sides from a more or less neutral stand point, even if the author is absolutely sure one side is incorrect and the other correct.

Signs of emotion (passion about one thing, hate about another) and dogmatically sticking to what the author deems as fact are signs that the information could very well be false.

Let the information speak for itself. No need to start a war.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (07-25-2021), samwichse (07-26-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
A good report will evaluate both sides from a more or less neutral stand point, even if the author is absolutely sure one side is incorrect and the other correct.

Signs of emotion (passion about one thing, hate about another) and dogmatically sticking to what the author deems as fact are signs that the information could very well be false.

Let the information speak for itself. No need to start a war.
Well, I don't agree with even one thing you have written.

1. As someone who actually teaches writing to people writing high level reports, equal weight should never be given to points that have no evidence. That's what we're talking about here - points that have evidence versus those that do not. They're not matters of opinion.

2. Signs of passion mean that people care. I care when people are given the wrong information. It makes me cross.

3. You cannot let the information speak for itself when people have incorrect ideas about the fundamentals and so cannot even understand the information.

4. I will start a war - as you describe it - when people ae being deliberately and constantly mislead.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
That all seems a bit childish, but maybe that's just me?
It went down like this:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar
Maybe that's what the US is in the state it is currently in?]
Uhm, what? You actually write books yet cant make a coherent sentence. What state are we( the US) in exactly?
I proofread and corrected* in my own head and didn't rise to the bait and call it out myself. But I did notice.

*why for what

Last edited by freebeard; 07-24-2021 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-24-2021, 11:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Well, I don't agree with even one thing you have written.

1. As someone who actually teaches writing to people writing high level reports, equal weight should never be given to points that have no evidence. That's what we're talking about here - points that have evidence versus those that do not. They're not matters of opinion.

2. Signs of passion mean that people care. I care when people are given the wrong information. It makes me cross.

3. You cannot let the information speak for itself when people have incorrect ideas about the fundamentals and so cannot even understand the information.

4. I will start a war - as you describe it - when people ae being deliberately and constantly mislead.
You don't have to agree. But you're not doing to get anywhere by forcing people to believe the truth because you can't force beliefs. People will take you as a closed minded, dogmatic propagandist even if every word you say is the absolute truth.

But go ahead and go start your wars. Once you've tried to make everyone else feel stupid and ignorant see how many really care what you say.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (07-25-2021), samwichse (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:04 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You don't have to agree. But you're not doing to get anywhere by forcing people to believe the truth because you can't force beliefs. People will take you as a closed minded, dogmatic propagandist even if every word you say is the absolute truth.

But go ahead and go start your wars. Once you've tried to make everyone else feel stupid and ignorant see how many really care what you say.
How bizarre. You have no problem with information being disseminated here that is quite wrong?

I've said it here time and time again. Don't believe me - don't believe a word that I say. Go and do you own research, make your own aero measurements, read the aero textbooks for yourself. Then the amount of misinformation being promulgated here will become obvious. Unfortunately, though, nearly no-one here can be bothered doing any of that, and so continue being sucked-in by weird theories, incorrect statements and points taken out of context. In your words I am not sure if that's ignorance or stupidity - or simply intellectual laziness.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I'll just say it one more time, then give up.

If you want to help people, you got to act like you actually want to help them.

What's more important, the patient or the illness?

People are like strings. If you want them to straighten up you have to pull them, not push and prod them.

Bullying others doesn't prove you're right, it doesn't help prove the facts and it doesn't help anyone really.

The best teachers, mentors and role models draw out the good in others.

Even someone with a mountain of evidence can still come off as sounding dogmatic.

If propagandists can get others to believe things without proof, why wouldn't having both proof and persuasiveness not work?

Patience is a virtue. People who don't believe you now may believe you later if you leave the door open for them.

i don't need other people to agree with me to try to help them nicely. I'm trying to help you nicely and you don't agree with me. You can do the same if you only want to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'll just say it one more time, then give up.

If you want to help people, you got to act like you actually want to help them.

What's more important, the patient or the illness?

People are like strings. If you want them to straighten up you have to pull them, not push and prod them.

Bullying others doesn't prove you're right, it doesn't help prove the facts and it doesn't help anyone really.

The best teachers, mentors and role models draw out the good in others.

Even someone with a mountain of evidence can still come off as sounding dogmatic.

If propagandists can get others to believe things without proof, why wouldn't having both proof and persuasiveness not work?

Patience is a virtue. People who don't believe you now may believe you later if you leave the door open for them.

i don't need other people to agree with me to try to help them nicely. I'm trying to help you nicely and you don't agree with me. You can do the same if you only want to.
Sure, but all that is invalid when you have a person here who refuses to correct his misinformation, irrespective of what evidence is presented to show how that information is wrong. For him, night = day if he says so.

And it further becomes invalid when you have people who religiously believe what that person says, again irrespective of any evidence that shows what he is saying is incorrect. For them, if he says night = day then, obviously, it is.

It's all honestly at a scale I have never seen before. Like, when I pointed out the invalidity of The Template, (invalidity in how it was constantly being used) I had people here tell me that I should go and read the textbook references that were being quoted in support of it. Trouble is, there isn't even one textbook that supports how The Template was being used - all the purported links to references were just made up! When you have someone that deluded - and so many followers of the delusions - then normal rules of engagement become quite invalid.

As someone said to me privately, aerodynamic understanding here is just like a cult, with the people so immersed in the cult they think it is normal.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
If that was addressed to me
That was not meant to be taken so personally.

Quote:
I don't actually consider myself to be "a know-it-all"
Everyone will act at least once in their lifetime as if they considered themselves a know-it-all. According to others, seems like you're doing it quite often. Maybe it's not intentional.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Goldie - '11 Toyota Prius
90 day: 48.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
That all seems a bit childish, but maybe that's just me?.
It is you Julian. You announced your departure from this forum a couple days ago by stating “ So unless there is a dramatic change here, goodbye. It will certainly save me many hours of thinking and typing!” Yet here you are still thinking and typing. A bit childish indeed. You are now exhibiting a textbook case of narcissistic personality disorder. Taken directly from the Mayo Clinic page on the subject:

“ Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people”
Example: you frequently mention others in the field of aerodynamics that you communicate with that validate your claims, yet those of us here on this forum are “a pox on advancement “
“ Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior”
Can easily site and quote multiple examples of you doing exactly that.
“ React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior”
Example:
“ I object - and object strongly”
“ I get very cross when…”
“ I will start a war”
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20366662

Take care Julian.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yippeekyaa For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (07-25-2021)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread