Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What, me worry? Im fine if they want to attach electrodes to my temples, nipples and testicals. Most of the "police work" is based upon behavior of someone who is guilty.

I use to work the fraud dept at a bank and you can tell right off who was a victim and who was trying to get something over on the bank. They answered questions you didnt ask, they kept talking during moments of silence, sometimes the story changed slightly each time they told it and you had to take notes. Time was very important that those who were actually victims.

When I was an auditor at the bank of employees part of our training said to purposely give a stare and moment of silence to see if the employee adds or says anything else when doing an interview.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
mechman600 (02-22-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #62 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
What, me worry? Im fine if they want to attach electrodes to my temples, nipples and testicals. Most of the "police work" is based upon behavior of someone who is guilty.

I use to work the fraud dept at a bank and you can tell right off who was a victim and who was trying to get something over on the bank. They answered questions you didnt ask, they kept talking during moments of silence, sometimes the story changed slightly each time they told it and you had to take notes. Time was very important that those who were actually victims.

When I was an auditor at the bank of employees part of our training said to purposely give a stare and moment of silence to see if the employee adds or says anything else when doing an interview.
Apparently you are qualified as an interrogator. You learned that skill while in your employment with a bank.

Such skills can be use for good or for ill purposes. Be careful of how and when you use them.

Quote:
That's easy for you to say now in a cavalier fashion, because it's not about to happen to you soon. We can be very brave in our minds before adversity comes. But when such methods as you described are actually being done to you, you might then sing a different song.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Holy crap. Paranoid much?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #64 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
The frog in the pan isn't paranoid. He only is motivated to act.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #65 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
It's one thing to be an interrogator for a bank, where you're actually protecting assets from fraud. It's quite another thing altogether to be an interrogator for the state, where laws change according to public whims (and even depending on who was elected to enforce said laws).
Old 02-22-2014, 10:27 PM   #66 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
This comic strip, from 1994, is eerily prescient.

Back in 1994, people thought this was firmly in tin-foil hat territory.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
chumly (02-23-2014), Frank Lee (02-22-2014), nemo (02-23-2014), XYZ (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

The only winning move is not to play:
Old 02-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #68 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyoda View Post
The only winning move is not to play:
I didn't watch the entire video because it is very long, and IMHO long-winded as well.

He is correct that you don't have to talk to police. In fact, the best statement to make is to quote them the Miranda warning - "I have the right to remain silent...". (In doing so, they may forget to read it to you, which might be of future benefit.) But then they may arrest you, which can lead to the need for hiring an attorney, posting bail and having to testify in court. There you will have to answer the questions put to you.

This was Martha Stewart's undoing. She lied to the agents instead of keeping her mouth shut and saying nothing. Even though not under oath, they have now made it a crime to lie to an investigator.

However, refusing to answer questions that are not self-incriminatory in a court setting will get you cited for contempt of court or contempt of congress. You can't refuse to answer any and all questions because you simply don't want to cooperate. That's not considered a valid reason for invoking the Fifth Amendment. Any good lawyer understands the difference.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
I find it fascinating. Not to paint with too large of a brush, but the people who are uber-paranoid of their state are generally Americans, as can be seen in this thread. From what I can tell, it started during the Cold War, and when there was no longer any need to be afraid of the USSR, people simply turned their fear on their own nation. Is this entire mindset the result of successful media brainwashing or do people [here in this thread] actually have stories of innocent people having been taken away on the grounds of "might have"?

Paranoia can only be quantified with examples.
And I am genuinely curious.

Having been raised in the Canadian prairies (somewhere near Winnipeg), I was taught to respect and trust the authorities. They are there to protect us. The only people who thought otherwise were those who were breaking the law. And funnily enough, the only thing to dissuade me from this was American media (Hollywood, News, etc.) that even Canadians are unfortunately exposed to.

I mean absolutely no disrespect. I love both of our countries. Well, Canada more so, but still.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No, my mind would be the same. I work for the gov and been through a back ground check. Ever fill out a e-QIP? Then they turn around and hook the electrodes to the above mentioned body parts and read it back to you.

Reply  Post New Thread