Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #71 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
I find it fascinating. Not to paint with too large of a brush, but the people who are uber-paranoid of their state are generally Americans, as can be seen in this thread.
Interesting that you use the prefix "uber" to attach to the word paranoid. The man who thinks he is being followed when no one is following him is paranoid. The man who actually IS being followed is not paranoid. The same applies to tracking and monitoring of data and people's location. Yes, we are being watched. Maybe you aren't...yet.

I wouldn't say that everyone who has concerns about the gathering and storage of information is paranoid. Nor would I paint America with so broad a brush as to suggest that this is the product of media brainwashing or reporting the news. The clandestine information gathering being done that has been discovered and revealed is a fact - not a product of anyone's imagination.

Quote:
From what I can tell, it started during the Cold War, and when there was no longer any need to be afraid of the USSR, people simply turned their fear on their own nation. Is this entire mindset the result of successful media brainwashing or do people [here in this thread] actually have stories of innocent people having been taken away on the grounds of "might have"?
The problem with your mindset is the suggestion that since it hasn't happened to you or to anyone you know, that it never could happen. As I said before, the more power that is given to authority, the less power the populace has for its defense. "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely." (Know that that quote is not American, nor was it the product of media brainwashing.)

Quote:
Having been raised in the Canadian prairies (somewhere near Winnipeg), I was taught to respect and trust the authorities. They are there to protect us. The only people who thought otherwise were those who were breaking the law.
Have you never heard news stories about corrupt cops fabricating testimony or producing false evidence to obtain a conviction? Don't say it never happens. If it were to happen in your locality you wouldn't have the same high opinion of the police.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
He is correct that you don't have to talk to police.
You don't even have to make eye contact, they're your servants.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #73 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
He is correct that you don't have to talk to police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You don't even have to make eye contact, they're your servants.
...who still haul you off to jail, whether you've said anything or not, have a lawyer or not...only thing necessary is a "suspicion of guilt."

Of course, THEN you get to accumulate LOTs of legal bills, regardless of whether you're guilty or not...before THEY have to eventually get around to "proving" that suspicion.

Similar thing happens to your property, for example, when the Border Patrol tears-apart your car searching for something they "think" is there, but don't find...they do NOT put everything back, NOR do they reimburse you without you getting legal action. Of course, that ALSO assumes they don't 'plant' something...just to cover their butts.

Last edited by gone-ot; 02-23-2014 at 05:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
chumly (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, next time an officer of the law asks you a question or series of questions tell him its none of his bees wax.

Seriously, hes doing a pesudo polygraph. He ask your name, color of car or something thats true, then other questions and watch your eyes. Eye Direction and Lying - How to detect lies from the direction of an individual's gaze / visual accessing cues.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
<<rolls eyes>>

That's starting to sound like conversational hypnosis. Which is why I read the transcripts of Obama's campaign speeches instead of watching the videos.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #76 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Yeah, next time an officer of the law asks you a question or series of questions tell him its none of his bees wax.

Seriously, hes doing a pesudo polygraph. He ask your name, color of car or something thats true, then other questions and watch your eyes. Eye Direction and Lying - How to detect lies from the direction of an individual's gaze / visual accessing cues.
You might think yourself skilled at interrogation or a wannabe cop, but consider the following scenario that happened a few decades ago.

School principals are considered of the highest ranking officials in dominion over both their students and often the parents of students as well. Dominance can be used for the benefit of those of lower rank, but also to their detriment. One day a young Latina girl was sent before the principal. She didn't want to answer the questions asked of her. Her eyes were downcast. He thought she must be guilty of something.

She was assumed to be guilty. She couldn't look at him. Bad gaze. Bad cues. She MUST be guilty, right? She certainly looked it.

Indeed she WAS guilty. She was full of guilt. She had inappropriate guilt from inappropriate, undeserved deference to authority, although that which we have come to call "respect" was hardly that of true respect.

Respect is not a one way street. Respect means I'm looking at you, and you are looking at me. If you can stare at me, I will stare back at you.
Quote:
No, my mind would be the same. I work for the gov and been through a back ground check. Ever fill out a e-QIP? Then they turn around and hook the electrodes to the above mentioned body parts and read it back to you.
Do you know what you can do with your polygraph? You can continue to take it. Good luck with your job as a government employee.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Being a school principle is something I would avoid at all costs. You are going to be to blame for any and everything.

The 6 years I worked at the bank I only had 2 customers who were truthful to me. One who said he was a truck driver and didnt understand banking and another who said the fees prevented an auto draft for child support. I fixed both their cases. The rest I could see were lying. THe guy with a finanical hardship who had 30 grand in savings. The lady with a 14 grand loc and upset we wouldnt do a refi but had 100k in a risk free cd. I offered to break it and pay her loc in full, she tore me a new one as I wasnt suppose to see her cd. I could go on and on.

Basically if you tell or live the truth you got nothing to worry asyou can just point to your recent purchase, a view camera, etc.

Now if you do not like it, you can just leave the country or countries that monitor. I think its rumored the UK has a camera on every street corner.

How about a third world country? Oh wait, those are corrupt.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #78 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I used to go to exciting parties where kids always wanted to play a stupid game they called "Mafia." One random person is the killer, one person is the detective, and everybody is stupid.

Each turn everyone goes around explaining how they were innocent and claiming someone else was guilty. It did not take me long to grow tired of "He talks too much! He is guilty!" and "He is hardly talking! He is guilty!"

After a while, I just started leaving when they started playing. You guys are explaining how real life is the same way.

Except, I cannot leave.

Last edited by Xist; 02-23-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #79 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I had a Platoon Sergeant tell me that he knew that I would never lie to him, which caused some awkward situations when he asked me questions and other Soldiers were angry at me, not understanding why I told the truth.

My messages are often long and irrelevant, but I always review them a couple of times, and I try to make them be concise.

Sadly, I am way worse in person.

I honestly do not remember who I told what, I cannot keep track of the truth, I would never be able to keep track of lies.

When I was in elementary school, I was sent to the office so many times that the principal actually suspended me on-sight at least once.

Why was I always in trouble?

Hitting bullies' fists with my face.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #80 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Being a school principle is something I would avoid at all costs. You are going to be to blame for any and everything.
That comment suggests that you might not want to be responsible "for any and everything".

Now to quote your own words relating to your job as a bank inquisitor:
Quote:
"I fixed both their cases."
That statement truly speaks for itself.

Quote:
Now if you do not like it, you can just leave the country or countries that monitor. I think its rumored the UK has a camera on every street corner.
It's a fact in NY City on many street corners - that's not just a rumor.

And the "if you don't like it you can leave the country" BS didn't fly too well in Ukraine this week, did it? Who ended up leaving that country?
Quote:
How about a third world country? Oh wait, those are corrupt.
It's starting to sound like with your explanations of admitted "fixing" that you too might be corrupt.

Reply  Post New Thread