Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tire recommendations for my 97 Civic HX

I need to buy summer or all season tires for my 1997 Honda Civic HX (I run snow tires on this car in the winter). What tires are you guy's using? Thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Checking out Tirerack for 185/65R14 shows 4 LRR tires...one being the Michelin Defender which is excellent.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
Checking out Tirerack for 185/65R14 shows 4 LRR tires...one being the Michelin Defender which is excellent.
I did start researching tires on Tirerack and the Michelin website. Michelin only recommends the Defender tire for my Civic on their website. Michelin rates the Defender an 8 out of 10 for fuel efficiency on their own website. The reviews of the Defender tire on Tirerack are very good, but a few reviews stated they got worse mpg with the Defenders than the tires that were previously on their car. However some reviews of the Defenders on Tirerack said they got better mpg with the Defenders.

The Michelin Primacy is rated a 10 out of 10 for fuel efficiency on the . Michelin website and rated extremely high on Tirerack, but is not available in the size required for my Civic.

Let's talk about the tires you like to use on you car to increase mpg.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I'm on my second set of Kumho eco solus on my HX. The first set needed to be replaced due to belt separation, long before the tread wore low. The second set sounds like it may be suffering the same fate.

I don't have a suggestion on what to get. Just noting FYI on the Kumhos.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I was running (now discontinued) Michelin Destiny's on my Civic for most of the time I logged here. Michelin rated them 7/10 for fuel economy vs the Defenders' 8/10. Should be good for mileage, since the lower rated ones were not bad for me. I actually just bought a set of Defenders for her not long before selling the car.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
consider going up a size.
ex: 245/45/18 to 245/50/18 on my Infiniti. increased diameter 6.7%. Lowered rpms at cruise, better mpgs.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I looked at tirerack again and the Michelin site, just now.

I would get the Defenders because they are $80 cheaper than the Bridgestone. And I would seriously consider the 175/70-14 size for the (minor) aero benefits of being thinner and the (slight) benefit of being a little taller while still fitting on your stock wheel and still having the same overall tire weight.

NB: revs per mile will change your speedometer and odometer readings if the tires do not offer the stock diameter. Fewer revs per mile will mean your odometer will record fewer miles than you actually traveled and that will effect your perceived FE. I think the 185/65-14 Defender is in a middle-typical range for claimed revs per mile in that size, looking across brands. Perhaps it is close to stock and that's why Michelin recommends it.

I may finally have to get tires for my 1998 Civic really soon, and these are the choices I am thinking of.

Good luck... hope that helps.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
I did start researching tires on Tirerack and the Michelin website. Michelin only recommends the Defender tire for my Civic on their website. Michelin rates the Defender an 8 out of 10 for fuel efficiency on their own website. The reviews of the Defender tire on Tirerack are very good, but a few reviews stated they got worse mpg with the Defenders than the tires that were previously on their car. However some reviews of the Defenders on Tirerack said they got better mpg with the Defenders.

The Michelin Primacy is rated a 10 out of 10 for fuel efficiency on the . Michelin website and rated extremely high on Tirerack, but is not available in the size required for my Civic.

Let's talk about the tires you like to use on you car to increase mpg.
The problem with the reviews is that there is a technology triangle involving treadwear, traction and rolling resistance. To get good results in one area, one (or both) of the other areas has to be sacrificed.

Many people take off their OE tires (Original Equipment tires - the tires put on at the vehicle assembly plant, like the Primacy) which give pretty good fuel economy, but have wear and/or traction issues and replace them with better wearing tires (or better traction tires). They will experience a loss in fuel economy - and that's what they are reporting.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
One other thing I like about the Destiny's is they are a high quality construction. I no longer have them, but from memory they have 2 steel plys, 2 polyester and 1 nylon.

Be aware that the tread depth required for a 90,000 mile warranty feels a little squirmy at first. I'm sure it'll firm up as the rubber hardens and wears down.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I'm on my second set of Kumho eco solus on my HX. The first set needed to be replaced due to belt separation, long before the tread wore low. The second set sounds like it may be suffering the same fate.

I don't have a suggestion on what to get. Just noting FYI on the Kumhos.
Thanks for the heads up on the Kumhos.

I have bought General Altimax Arctic non studded snow tires for the Civic and I was extremely impressed with them for winter tires. Two thumbs up on those. I will be buying them again since I wore out my first set I bought after 45,000 miles. They were quiet and I could not make my Civic loose traction with them on the car unless I was on solid ice. Very impressive and much better than any all season tires I ever used for winter driving. I am in Utah and some winters here it will snow allot and other winters it will not snow much at all. The Tirerack reviews of this tire were very impressive, so I bought a set three years ago.

Reply  Post New Thread