Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR600F2 conversion

Picked up the cbr today. Thinking of renaming my cat Peter Fonda. Its a '94 with just under 25k miles on the clock. Some damage to the right side fairing as it had been stolen at one stage.

Plan is to use 2 nissan 48v forklift traction motors for series - parallel setup. Minimum of 72v possibly go to 96. Controller will be my own custom igbt version of the open revolt. Not sure about the charger but the petrol tank is plenty big to accomodate a low power version of the open source charger by Simon Rafferty.

Batteries will either be Odyssey pc680 agms or headway 16ah. Thats the basic plan anyway. Now i've never even sat on much less owned a bike until today so like in that film wild hogs its a case of "all the gear , no idea!"

So first question. Can someone please tell me how to put this thing on its center stand ??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inspector.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	6555   Click image for larger version

Name:	back1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	6556   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	6557   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_l.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	6558   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_r2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	6559  

Name:	front_r.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	6560   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	6561  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I took the motors to a local engineering works last week and had the coms turned and the splined shafts turned down to 19mm. Saturday morning I set about milling a 6mm keyway into the shafts. Nightmare job. The shafts are glass hard. Got there in the end so i'm into scraping out the com segments and replacing the brushes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motors.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	6562   Click image for larger version

Name:	nosplines.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	6563   Click image for larger version

Name:	milling2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	6564   Click image for larger version

Name:	milling3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	6565   Click image for larger version

Name:	milling4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	6566  

Name:	milling6.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	6567  
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Out of my mind, back in 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Picked up the cbr today. Thinking of renaming my cat Peter Fonda. Its a '94 with just under 25k miles on the clock. Some damage to the right side fairing as it had been stolen at one stage.

Plan is to use 2 nissan 48v forklift traction motors for series - parallel setup. Minimum of 72v possibly go to 96. Controller will be my own custom igbt version of the open revolt. Not sure about the charger but the petrol tank is plenty big to accomodate a low power version of the open source charger by Simon Rafferty.

Batteries will either be Odyssey pc680 agms or headway 16ah. Thats the basic plan anyway. Now i've never even sat on much less owned a bike until today so like in that film wild hogs its a case of "all the gear , no idea!"

So first question. Can someone please tell me how to put this thing on its center stand ??
Stomp on the "lever" for the centerstand while lifting at the passenger footpeg... Not hard, just need the right technique... And once you have figured it out, remove that junk... It's just useless weight that you lug around... The only practical use I ever found for mine is to make cool sparks in the corners...
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
There's always some sort of tail grab on the bike... you don't need to stomp on the center stand at all.

Put your right foot on the center stand pad, and the bike will balance itself on the center stand. Lift up and pull slightly back on the left clip-on bar, and the bike will easily lift up on the stand.

When I was 100lbs or so, I was doing this with a 600lb bike loaded with gear. It takes nothing but technique.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
There's always some sort of tail grab on the bike... you don't need to stomp on the center stand at all.

Put your right foot on the center stand pad, and the bike will balance itself on the center stand. Lift up and pull slightly back on the left clip-on bar, and the bike will easily lift up on the stand.

When I was 100lbs or so, I was doing this with a 600lb bike loaded with gear. It takes nothing but technique.
Ok, so "stomp" might not be the right exact word... How about "put distinct pressure on" ?! Like I said and you, doesn't need much pressure, just technique...
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Ok, so "stomp" might not be the right exact word... How about "put distinct pressure on" ?! Like I said and you, doesn't need much pressure, just technique...
I wasn't being contradictory, just making it more clear what I thought you intended to say. When you tell someone to "stomp" on something, I can see a newb who doesn't know any better literally stomping on the pedal thing, and probably dropping the bike over on it's side.

I've seen it happen plenty of times...

Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well got her on the stand. A biker friend called in this evening and found the stand had broken and been rewelded incorrectly at some point. Some gentle adjustment with a crowbar got it working perfect. That said it take a good bit of energy to get it on the stand. Perhaps that why a lot of bikers are big and hairy
Old 08-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Well got her on the stand. A biker friend called in this evening and found the stand had broken and been rewelded incorrectly at some point. Some gentle adjustment with a crowbar got it working perfect. That said it take a good bit of energy to get it on the stand. Perhaps that why a lot of bikers are big and hairy
Really, it shouldn't take much effort to get it up on there. I mean, seriously - When I was small, I could still put fairly large bikes up on the centers.

The effort required may have been due to the "ruined" center stand.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Really, it shouldn't take much effort to get it up on there. I mean, seriously - When I was small, I could still put fairly large bikes up on the centers.

The effort required may have been due to the "ruined" center stand.
I agree, it should be fairly effortless since that bike is pretty light... Trust me, it's another thing with a big bike...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
I agree, it should be fairly effortless since that bike is pretty light... Trust me, it's another thing with a big bike...
You mean like a GL1800? Nah, still pretty easy, I think. Granted, significantly more difficult, but still fairly easy. The whole process of mounting the center stand is leverage, so by definition, it shouldn't be difficult.

Reply  Post New Thread