Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
The flat towing restriction might be for the whatever passes for the differential. I have had many that had a diff restriction, but not on the trans

EcoCivic (10-29-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwbeamer View Post
maybe you could google and see if your car is flat towable behind a RV. If it is than shouldn't be a problem coasting engine on or off.
I found that the auto isn't flat towable as I expected, but I wasn't able to find anything but speculation for the 5 speed. I'm sure coasting with the engine running was a scenario the trans was designed to cope with, but I'm not sure about EOC. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem, but I'm no engineer.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
The flat towing restriction might be for the whatever passes for the differential. I have had many that had a diff restriction, but not on the trans
The diff is part of the trans on my Civic. That's interesting that the diff could be adversely affected by flat towing though, never heard of that. I don't see how that would matter to the diff? It's spinning when the vehicle is rolling either way and should lube itself
Old 10-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
The guy my ex-wife left me for put his sweet Zenith Blue 1967 Beetle behind a motorhome and towed it hundreds of miles in gear, and then abandoned it in AZ.

Spinning that motor against compression probably killed the mileage in the motrhome.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The guy my ex-wife left me for put his sweet Zenith Blue 1967 Beetle behind a motorhome and towed it hundreds of miles in gear, and then abandoned it in AZ.

Spinning that motor against compression probably killed the mileage in the motrhome.
Did he intentionally leave it in gear for some reason or was that an accident?
Old 10-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I'd say negligent rather than accidental. The 'some reason' part was cutting it loose instead of towing it home again and repairing it.

I also saw someone towing a vehicle for sale into the NW Bugrun in gear.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #37 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
Another curious thing I meant to ask about is the effects of travelling with the engine off and the trans in neutral. I always thought manual transmissions were fine coasting or being towed engine on or off and autos should only coast or be towed with the engine running, but my car's owners manual recommends against flat towing and says if it must be done to keep speed low and distance as short as possible, not to exceed 35 MPH or 50 miles I believe. No distinction is made for auto or manual transmission, although that may be an oversight.

I understand why towing an automatic transmission with the engine off would be bad since without the engine running there's no oil being pumped around to lubricate and cool components, but I am almost certain my transmission is simply splash lubricated so I don't see why it would matter? Unless the input shaft needs to be spinning to splash the oil around.

This doesn't matter much to me since I leave the engine idling while coasting, I'm just curious.
What car are we talking about again? I've heard of manual transmissions that have a lubrication pump (or maybe splasher) that needs the input shaft spinning. But I understand those are rare and mostly used on larger vehicles (Pickups and SUV's).

Generally speaking the gears should all still be spinning and getting lubbed up as the bottom ones dip down into the oil. The input shaft would be still with the gears spinning around it. But some of those gears would be spinning at several thousands of RPM's. What's a thousand or two more from the engine being off?
Old 10-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
What car are we talking about again? I've heard of manual transmissions that have a lubrication pump (or maybe splasher) that needs the input shaft spinning. But I understand those are rare and mostly used on larger vehicles (Pickups and SUV's).

Generally speaking the gears should all still be spinning and getting lubbed up as the bottom ones dip down into the oil. The input shaft would be still with the gears spinning around it. But some of those gears would be spinning at several thousands of RPM's. What's a thousand or two more from the engine being off?
Good to know, thank you for the information! My car is an 05 Civic, thought I said that but looks like I forgot to. I don't think my transmission has any type of splasher or pump, I didn't see anything like that when I had it apart.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
Good to know, thank you for the information! My car is an 05 Civic, thought I said that but looks like I forgot to. I don't think my transmission has any type of splasher or pump, I didn't see anything like that when I had it apart.
There seems to be a lot of people who have towed these with all four wheels on the ground with no issues (quick google search). It seems logical to me that there'd be no harm in coasting with the engine off.

Just don't get pulled over for speeding and tell the officer that it was because you were coasting in neutral with or without the engine off and you'll probably be fine.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
There seems to be a lot of people who have towed these with all four wheels on the ground with no issues (quick google search). It seems logical to me that there'd be no harm in coasting with the engine off.

Just don't get pulled over for speeding and tell the officer that it was because you were coasting in neutral with or without the engine off and you'll probably be fine.
Thanks. I don't think the hills I encounter on my daily commute are really long enough to be worth shutting the engine off for (1/2 to 3/4 mile of coasting at a time at the most), so the only EOC I normally do is shutting the engine off once I pull into my driveway and coasting into my garage.

Reply  Post New Thread