Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
I finally installed the Malone Stage 1 with Dynamic EGR. It allows EGR to warm engine coolant up to 150º and then EGR is disabled. The tune has made my engine run smoother and I have gained power. The Dynamic EGR seems to be helping highway mileage. I will have to finish this tank to be certain but it looks to be a 900+ mile tank.
That is precisely how I would do it and exactly what I would expect to happen.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
I finally installed the Malone Stage 1 with Dynamic EGR. It allows EGR to warm engine coolant up to 150º and then EGR is disabled. The tune has made my engine run smoother and I have gained power. The Dynamic EGR seems to be helping highway mileage. I will have to finish this tank to be certain but it looks to be a 900+ mile tank.
Too bad there isn't anyone in Wisconsin willing to share a vagcom or tuner, I would love to get a couple degrees of tune added to my fathers 02 tdi, and turn down the EGR.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
If I were out that way you could use my vagcom. As for tuning if you are not going wild you can get a knock off MPPS on ebay for $30-40 to pull the tune from the car and upload the changes. There is some free software that has the different maps in it.

Thats what I'm using and I have disabled EGR in the tune changed some fueling at 90-100 throttle and a few other things mostly copying over the 100hp euro tune to my 90hp us version. I have MPPS v12. If you want to go that route I can help some.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 10-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Yes, all of this data is from my daily 20 mile commute down I-25. It would be good to test on longer trips; I will keep this type of testing in mind if the opportunity comes up. I also intend to re-do this test with my commute this summer, of course the fuel will be B100.

I think I have compensated for the warmup time with the grille block, as I could not run it with the EGR enabled without my temperature rising over 200 before I got to work.
Shoot I should have posted this with my last reply.

I have not noticed any change in MPG with EGR off but I drive 90mi to and from work.

I have blocked 90% of the grill the only thing open is the 1in slot at the very bottom of the bumper and the inter cooler. When I blocked the lower slot I could get the temp to get to 205 and it will sit there after about 25mi driving. That was with a stock 185f tstat now I have a 195 and it warms up a little faster but I have not tried doing a full block yet as it has been to warm but I might try it again in a few weeks.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Shoot I should have posted this with my last reply.

I have not noticed any change in MPG with EGR off but I drive 90mi to and from work.

I have blocked 90% of the grill the only thing open is the 1in slot at the very bottom of the bumper and the inter cooler. When I blocked the lower slot I could get the temp to get to 205 and it will sit there after about 25mi driving. That was with a stock 185f tstat now I have a 195 and it warms up a little faster but I have not tried doing a full block yet as it has been to warm but I might try it again in a few weeks.
Hmm, would you mind mailing , I will have to see what is out there...

Anyway

I wouldn't mind seeing what the green diesel tune does, I would emulate that a tad, my main idea is to reduce EGR to stop the intake from plugging up every few years and improve the FE a bit by adding some timing.

Can you add EGR during warmup and turn it down once warm?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Hmm, would you mind mailing , I will have to see what is out there...

Anyway

I wouldn't mind seeing what the green diesel tune does, I would emulate that a tad, my main idea is to reduce EGR to stop the intake from plugging up every few years and improve the FE a bit by adding some timing.

Shoot me an PM and we can get something worked out.

The VAGCOM can turn down/off the EGR but it can't do it based on temp.

Using the MPPS it is possible to do a dynamic EGR but that is only if the tables have been located for your version of the ECU. It is possible to locate the tables and make the modifications but I have not tried doing that yet since I do not want to spend much on the software.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
That is why I went with the Malone tune with Dynamic EGR. I rented the Flashzilla for $50 and the tune was $299 so about $350 altogether. I live in a cold climate and diesels are much more efficient when fully warmed up. The VW TDI uses three glow plugs to heat the coolant up to 180º so I want those to cycle off as soon as possible. Hopefully I will get quick warmup and good mpg when warm. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
I thought I would provide an update and revive an old thread. I am very happy with the "dynamic EGR" tune. I installed it in early fall of 2013 so last summer was the first summer tanks using no EGR after the engine reaches 150 F. On a route I have driven for years my ScanGuage showed 70 mpg "current" on the flat at 60 mph. This is higher than I have seen in the past and I have gotten close to 1,000 miles on a tank and 60 plus mpg for the whole tank. In my experience deleting EGR has not hurt my mileage and may have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I thought I would provide an update and revive an old thread. I am very happy with the "dynamic EGR" tune. I installed it in early fall of 2013 so last summer was the first summer tanks using no EGR after the engine reaches 150 F. On a route I have driven for years my ScanGuage showed 70 mpg "current" on the flat at 60 mph. This is higher than I have seen in the past and I have gotten close to 1,000 miles on a tank and 60 plus mpg for the whole tank. In my experience deleting EGR has not hurt my mileage and may have helped.
So, is this "Dynamic EGR" tune otherwise stock?

Or are you running an ECO Tune with Dynamic EGR included?

Or something else?

My 03 ALH VW is all stock, but I'm thinking about tunes...just need to read and see what/if the benefits are.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ooops, nevermind...I just read further back and noticed it was a Stg 1 tune.

Sorry,
Rem