Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
DOFZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 74

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Vacuum Gauge Install; Engine Line Tap Location

I picked up the Auto Meter Vacuum Gauge (2610). I was going to tap into the vacuum line between the PCV valve and the manifold. Is this a good location? Or is there a better line to tap into?

The gauge came with a VERY small tee and I would have to purchase a larger one in order to use the PCV valve line.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!!


Thanks.




ZO.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Big Oil hates lean-burn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
3-Wheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 827

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Thanks: 94
Thanked 558 Times in 191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFZO View Post
I picked up the Auto Meter Vacuum Gauge (2610). I was going to tap into the vacuum line between the PCV valve and the manifold. Is this a good location? Or is there a better line to tap into?
.....
If you *do* tap into the harness that feeds the PCV valve, then several things:

1) keep the tap location close to the intake manifold
2) drill a small .040 inch diameter hole in the harness and tap into that small hole
3) the small hole does two things: keep the flow disturbance to a minimum, allow more air flow to the PCV valve.
4) do not restrict the harness air line to the PCV valve, as this *will* change the tuning to the PCV valve, adversely affecting how the system works.

We make PCV valves at work, so do not take this system lightly.

Jim.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
DOFZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 74

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
If you *do* tap into the harness that feeds the PCV valve, then several things:

1) keep the tap location close to the intake manifold
2) drill a small .040 inch diameter hole in the harness and tap into that small hole
3) the small hole does two things: keep the flow disturbance to a minimum, allow more air flow to the PCV valve.
4) do not restrict the harness air line to the PCV valve, as this *will* change the tuning to the PCV valve, adversely affecting how the system works.

We make PCV valves at work, so do not take this system lightly.

Jim.
Thanks, Jim!

I will try to find another location!





ZO.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Big Oil hates lean-burn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,502
Thanked 276 Times in 226 Posts
Cool

Just go to advance auto and get a HELP universal vacuum t. It has a tapered design on all 3 ports and you just cut off up to the side you need. This way the vacuum meter can be connected to the 1/8 port while the pcv is on the 1/2 port.

PS, make sure the vacuum hose for the meter is facing upwards so the oil stays down in either the pcv or intake. HELL, tap in a catch can too while you are at it and put the vacuum meter closer to the intake.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,303 Posts
I just used a tapered fitting and a hole in the line to the brake booster, before the check valve.

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
DOFZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 74

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I just used a tapered fitting and a hole in the line to the brake booster, before the check valve.

regards
Mech
What would be an ideal location to tap into? Where/what does the brake booster look like on a Civic and which side would I want to tap?


Thanks!



ZO.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Big Oil hates lean-burn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
DOFZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 74

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFZO View Post
What would be an ideal location to tap into? Where/what does the brake booster look like on a Civic and which side would I want to tap?


Thanks!



ZO.
Bump!

I have attached some pics of my engine bay. Would someone be willing to show me the best place to tap the vacuum line in at? I have zero understanding of the vacuum system components in the engine.





Edit: Would hose #18 work without creating a problem anywhere?








ZO.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Big Oil hates lean-burn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.

Last edited by DOFZO; 05-11-2014 at 03:47 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,502
Thanked 276 Times in 226 Posts
The thing circled in yellow is the booster. You want to tap a hose from the intake manifold that is behind the yellow line on the image. Anything between the air filter and throttle plates wont have vacuum unless the throttle is open and the air filter is really dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	booster.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	14986  
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,502
Thanked 276 Times in 226 Posts
How about hose 19? Looks like the PCV I spoke of in another thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,303 Posts
Big black metal "tank" behind the brake master cylinder is the booster. The hose runs from that to the top of the intake mainfold and the check valve is about midway on that fairly large hose (maybe an inch outside diameter). Make a small hole in that hose between the manifold and the check valve, close to the check valve so you could just shorten the hose and reattach it without any problem.

Push your metal vacuum connector in the hose until it is tight then run a hose to your gauge through one of the existing openings in the firewall.

regards
Mech

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com