Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Bosch

on the other end of the spectrum is Bosch who are developing direct injection
of a HIGH pressure mixture of air and gasoline - that too would be a type or carburetion!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection (SIDI) for gasoline engines is the "next BIG thing"--Toyota, GM and Ford are using it already with 10-15% increases in both HP and fuel economy and 10-15% decreases in emissions.

...to be followed by Homogenious-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) which is essentially a gasoline-fed diesel engine that reverts to spark-ignition when compression-ignition cannot be reliably maintained.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
The only time that I see this possibly helping is on a cool start when the fuel is warm. The reason being is faster flame front helping completely burn the mix adding a little power calling for the IAC valve to close a bit more while maintaining idle rpm.

The only other way I see it helping is in OpenLoop since the car ignores the O2 sensor but you would have to reprogram the PCM to tell it that there is less incoming air so It will inject less fuel, but that will work with out the jar.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the green machine :P - '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
90 day: 20.92 mpg (US)

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)

Freedom - '05 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX
90 day: 75.55 mpg (US)
from what i read online it says that fuel would boil at 68 degrees F at 15 inch pounds vacuum i can't find the link any more but thats what gave me the idea and then i found this video on youtube of this guy running a moped off of a jar that he bubbled air through to atomize it so i thought i'd do the same but with the vacuum to atomize the full better at lower temperatures, and the fully atomized air increases the flame front(from what i understand) so then the fuel burns faster and more completly. also i read this paper online that says the temperature of the engine is mostly needed for atomizing of the fuel so i was thinking that by using the coolant to heat the fuel to 180 degrees would allow it to atomize almost completly once injected in the intake and if it causes vapor lock then i'll use a 165 degree t-stat to hopefully fix the overheating of the fuel and the engine should run better at that temperature with the fuel heater???

i did some aba testing at 35mph and heres what i got

A - 45mpg
B - 32mpg
A - 48mpg

so theres my data on the effectiveness of the vacuumed jar

heres the youtube video
Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sukisuki - '00 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4wd
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
I like Stovie's idea.
He also reported a genuine experiment documenting the results. He doesn't need to formulate a theory of operation but just to report gain/loss. This is what this site is about.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
It makes sense, although I'm surprised the difference is that big, particularly on a ZJ with a 4 liter engine built with mostly 1960s designs.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Zed - '11 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 43.91 mpg (US)
How was this tested?

Did you account for the gasoline being used from the secondary source?

It sounds almost like your idea, or what you propose would fog the intake manifold with gasoline from a secondary source, and if that is the case mainstream ways of tracking fuel consumption would be out the window. A scan gauge is not going to be able to tell that your car is getting gas from a second source, although, it could pick up on the fact that primary fuel system is delivering less fuel at a given speed.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GoldFocus - '09 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovie View Post
... i'm getting a vacuum pump there's 1 online that i want that goes to 35 inch pounds of vacuum and ...
What units? Vacuum is typically psi or inches of Hg. I would assume inch pounds is a truncated reference to pounds per square inch but 35psi is well above the theoretical max of ~15.

Doug
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10

cortez - if you look at 1 of my previous posts on here you'll see that i said i only used like 1/3 of a gallon through the jar to 3/4 of a tank so the usage is quit small on mine so accounting for the added gas isn't really possible you know

swiftbow - yea i was thinking psi but i was looking online and was told vacuum is in inch pounds so i went with it but i thought it was kind of wierd for a vacuum pump manufacterer to go with psi if it only used inch pounds so i was told wrong

cortez - the jar only adds gas in it's atomized form so then it burnes almost instantly in the combustion starting the burning of the injected droplets of gas quicker so they burn more thoroughly or so i've read, so then the lower amount of o2 in the exhaust tells the computer that your running rich and leans out or so i'm also told.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
Did anybody notice this part of the original post?

I think we may have hit upon the source of any increase in economy... Driving with a lighter foot!!

-soD
um you obviously missed the part where i was refering to my highway driving and how i only get full atomization between idle and about 1/4 throttle which i can't get down to on the highway i'm usually at about 1/3 throttle on the highway and yes i didn't say what my throttle was at in that post but i figured it was understood sorry

Reply  Post New Thread