Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Frankly, I'd rather build the EV1. Beautiful, they are.
...after we tested some 'stuff' for the SunRaycer here, they (GM) brought down a couple EV-1's for us to see/drive...nice, but back then the question was "...where's the extension cable fit?" (wink,wink)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...give me ALL my tomorrows TODAY, or I'll tell Daddy (Uncle Sam).

Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
...the "new" old Government reality cartoon of truth.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #44 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I say screw 'em all, do your own thing.

Legally, you can copy any patent for personal use. Don't sell it or distribute it, and you're safe.

If you wanted to build your very own VOLT, you could probably find the measurements and abstract information necessary to do so through the patent office and GM's PR releases. It would cost you some money, but it may be worth it to you, if you really want a VOLT, because it's probably the only way you'll get one.

Frankly, I'd rather build the EV1. Beautiful, they are.
I really liked the EV1 as well. A matter of fact, the same producer of Who Killed The Electric Car is bringing out a NEW MOVIE about the electric car making a come back!

But, if you need help building a personal "Volt", here is my limited contribution:

Don't stay up too late, you don't want to disappear with the car parts for five years and not be able to get a viable car on the roads would ya?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Question The Volt Killer??

I think I might of stumbled upon what Chevy is worried about beating the Volt to the spot. It's called The Nissan Leaf EV:

Nissan says the Leaf EV beats the Chevrolet Volt with 367 mpg: AutoWeek Magazine

The Article says it will get 367MPG.

No offense to any Nissan lovers, but they are the last company I would of ever expected to even be working on such technology. If Nissan is this deep into this high tech stuff, can ya just imagine how into companies like Toyota, Honda and Ford might be? Not to mention all the rest.

___________________THE FULL STORY________________________________

The green car mileage race is now under way, and Nissan Motor Co. isn't impressed by the Chevrolet Volt's 230-mpg claim.

The Japanese automaker says its new Leaf electric vehicle gets 367 mpg, or about 60 percent better fuel efficiency.

"Nissan Leaf = 367 mpg, no tailpipe, and no gas required," Nissan wrote on its NissanEVs Twitter page after General Motors Co. announced Tuesday that the Volt would score 230 mpg.

"Oh yeah, and it'll be affordable too," Nissan added, in a dig at the Volt's estimated $40,000 sticker price. Nissan is promising that the five-passenger Leaf, unveiled Aug. 2, will be priced to compete with $25,000-$33,000 mass-market cars in the United States.

Still unclear is how the Japanese automaker derived its lofty mileage rating.

GM CEO Fritz Henderson said Aug. 11 that the EPA is developing a rating methodology for plug-in hybrids such as the Volt. Under those tentative rules, the Volt will be the first mass-produced car with a triple-digit fuel economy rating, he said.

Read more: Nissan says the Leaf EV beats the Chevrolet Volt with 367 mpg: AutoWeek Magazine

The Volt is a gasoline-electric hybrid that runs up to 40 miles on electric power before the gasoline engine must be started to recharge the battery while it operates. The Leaf, by contrast, is powered solely by a battery that has a range of 100 miles before it needs to be recharged.

Electric vehicle mileage is typically measured in kilowatt-hours per 100 miles. But that metric is unfamiliar to most drivers, so there are ways of deriving a miles per gallon equivalent.

Nissan officials in Japan could not immediately be reached for comment.

But an article posted July 6 on the Society of Automotive Engineers' Web site tackled the problem of calculating fuel economy numbers for electric vehicles.

Its author, Paul Weissler, estimated that the Leaf would get 367 mpg based on the Department of Energy's method of deriving petroleum-equivalent fuel economy for electric vehicles.

In a statement responding to GM's claims for the Volt, the EPA said Tuesday it has not yet tested a Volt and "therefore cannot confirm the fuel economy values claimed by GM."

But the agency said it "does applaud GM's commitment to designing and building the car of the future -- an American-made car that will save families money, significantly reduce our dependence on foreign oil and create good-paying American jobs."

Neil Roland contributed to this report

Read more: Nissan says the Leaf EV beats the Chevrolet Volt with 367 mpg: AutoWeek Magazine

______________________________END_________________ ______________

Source of Story: Nissan says the Leaf EV beats the Chevrolet Volt with 367 mpg: AutoWeek Magazine
Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jammer -

Yes and no. The Leaf won't have the same driving range as the Volt. The Leaf is 100 miles *only*.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #47 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

THANKS!

Well, that's what I get for rushing a story here without reading more about the details. I had no idea it's range was that short.

I am still confused on one BIG thing though: Is this Leaf EV an ALL electric car, thus the "EV" or is it a hybrid in anyway meaning of the word?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
THANKS!

Well, that's what I get for rushing a story here without reading more about the details. I had no idea it's range was that short.

I am still confused on one BIG thing though: Is this Leaf EV an ALL electric car, thus the "EV" or is it a hybrid in anyway meaning of the word?
As far as I can tell, the LEAF is EV only... it may have an add-on option in the aftermarket, though, for a generator that increases it's range substantially.

Still, the LEAF is nearly 3 times more range than is actually required by the average driver. It's looks will surely be a short coming, though.

I've seen the CUBE... that thing is stupid-ugly. It was on RT17 with a Canada plate on it, headed through southern tier, NY (Horseheads area).

Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #49 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jammer -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
THANKS!

"EV" means Electric Vehicle. I think the article is misleading :

Quote:
The Volt is a gasoline-electric hybrid that runs up to 40 miles on electric power before the gasoline engine must be started to recharge the battery while it operates. The Leaf, by contrast, is powered solely by a battery that has a range of 100 miles before it needs to be recharged.
The corollary to this paragraph is that this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Also, it looks like Nissan is pulling the 367 MPG out of a hat. They aren't saying they complied with the (current!) EPA method for calculating EV MPG equivalence.

PS - "NEV" means Neighborhood Electric Vehicle. These are electric cars that are speed limited to 35 MPH or less and don't require the same level of crash worthiness (sometimes this means golf-cart safety). Nissan is making a big jump by saying "here's our EV that meets all normal auto standards and has a range of 100 miles".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Sounds to me like somebody decided that the battery technology just isn't there.

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Reply  Post New Thread