Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

97 Civic HX sedan VX trans - '98 Honda Civic LX + HX + VX
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Before you re-install your transmission make sure you clean all the grease off the input shaft collar where the throw out bearing slides. Make sure that shaft is smooth. Apply a small amount of new grease to it so the bearing slides smoothly.

Also pull out the clutch fork, clean the pivot ball / fork and re-grease.

I also put a VERY light amount of grease on the transmission input splines so the clutch disc can slide freely on it also.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I appear to be at a sticking point everybody. Today, I got as far as removing the shift linkage bar off of the transmission, which followed by supporting the engine with ratchet straps and a 4x8 piece of lumber across the fender wells.
Additionally, I supported the transmission with a scissors jack centered in between a 13 inch tire.

From there, I then proceeded to remove all of the transmission mounting bolts from top to bottom and when I removed the last bottom mounting bolt, I could see that the transmission had dropped somewhat. However; when I tried to slide the transmission away from the engine, it would not budge.

At this point now, I have a total of 11 long bolts, whereas I'm starting to second guess if whether or not, I've removed all of the necessary bolts from the transmission.

In total, how many bell housing and mounting bolts should I have?
Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Don't you have more than one transmission? Check the other one for the number of mounting bolts (assuming you have another one).

regards
mech
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

For mounts to trans you'll find 9. 3 are on the front close to the radiator, 3 are up top looking straight down, one is close to the firewall right by the speed sensor and the other 2 are on the back of the engine. One you get from the top side, two from the bottom side.

For transmission to engine bolts there are 5. 4 of those you get from the top / transmission side. The 5th is under the car just above where your left axle shaft pops into the trans.

I find it easiest to pull the left axle shaft out of the way and if you still have an intake manifold support bracket remove it. That will give wide open access to the 3 bolts in that area *2 mounts, 1 bellhousing*.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Don't you have more than one transmission? Check the other one for the number of mounting bolts (assuming you have another one).

regards
mech

I'm afraid not. All I have is the one car.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Did you remove the dust cover bolts around the flywheel?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
For mounts to trans you'll find 9. 3 are on the front close to the radiator, 3 are up top looking straight down, one is close to the firewall right by the speed sensor and the other 2 are on the back of the engine. One you get from the top side, two from the bottom side.

For transmission to engine bolts there are 5. 4 of those you get from the top / transmission side. The 5th is under the car just above where your left axle shaft pops into the trans.

I find it easiest to pull the left axle shaft out of the way and if you still have an intake manifold support bracket remove it. That will give wide open access to the 3 bolts in that area *2 mounts, 1 bellhousing*.
It would appear that I've gotten all of the mount to transmission bolts, whereas I may have missed the one transmission to engine bolt hidden underneath the bracket towards the front. I will look at this again tomorrow morning.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
It would appear that I've gotten all of the mount to transmission bolts, whereas I may have missed the one transmission to engine bolt hidden underneath the bracket towards the front. I will look at this again tomorrow morning.
There's nothing hidden on the front. The only one I would consider hidden is right above the cv shaft seal in the picture.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
Did you remove the dust cover bolts around the flywheel?

Yes Sir, I did remove the dust cover; but this picture certainly helps.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Success gentlemen, I was able to remove the transmission from the engine! It was stubborn, requiring me to shake it loose from underneath the car, and my idea of utilizing an old tire to catch the transmission centered around the jack, really paid off.

As a side, I was able to take a look at the pressure plate and flywheel, while noting how small everything was compared to what I've recieved from Exedy. When I went to touch the flywheel, a ring gear fell to the ground.

From what I've seen from the shop manual, this setup is not stock. My guess is that this job has been done before. I did note however, that all of the teeth on the ring gear were still intact, making wonder why the engine would only engage when push started. The teeth on the starter looked fine too.

At any rate, I ran out of daylight and will start removing the pressure plate & clutch disc tomorrow. By then, I'm hoping to see some kind of evidence that indicates what I'd pondered earlier.

Reply  Post New Thread