Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

97 Civic HX sedan VX trans - '98 Honda Civic LX + HX + VX
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Interesting, make sure the clutch disc fits your input shaft on the transmission.

Side note: When I was getting my HX engine ready to install my ring gear was just like yours. A slight nudge and it fell right off the flywheel. It makes me wonder how the PO ever started the car with the starter.

Also the clutch disc on it was COMPLETELY gone. I mean virtually no friction material left lol.

I am VERY happy with the Exedy clutch / flywheel kit I used. Super nice clutch action.

Just make sure you never EVER let the input shaft jam or the weight of the transmission smash into the pressure plate teeth or clutch disc hub.

You will be greeted with a shaky warped feeling clutch if do you this.

Good luck.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Soon comes the installation of all disassemble parts. What I'm most likely going to do is rent a transmission jack, given that my floor jack does not have enough reach to bolt the tranny back onto the engine.

Speaking of the engine, I might also rent an engine host; although, I'm not sure if that's necessary. Granted, the 4x8 piece of lumber I'm utilizing to suspend the engine, is for the most part doing its job. However; I can tell that the engine is tilting somewhat to the left. It's not drastic; but it's just enough where the holes to mounting brackets are slightly misaligned.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you have scrap lumber on hand, you may be able to make up a cradle that lets your floor jack lift higher.

-soD
Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
Soon comes the installation of all disassemble parts. What I'm most likely going to do is rent a transmission jack, given that my floor jack does not have enough reach to bolt the tranny back onto the engine.

Speaking of the engine, I might also rent an engine host; although, I'm not sure if that's necessary. Granted, the 4x8 piece of lumber I'm utilizing to suspend the engine, is for the most part doing its job. However; I can tell that the engine is tilting somewhat to the left. It's not drastic; but it's just enough where the holes to mounting brackets are slightly misaligned.

I highly recommend getting that jack if yours is a tiny one that doesn't have the reach necessary. The transaxle is relatively light but if you aren't trying to balance it that makes proper alignment MUCH easier.

As far as your engine tilting a bit I wouldn't worry about that at all. Once you have your input shaft and clutch splines lined up right you'll be able to glide it all the way on upto the alignment dowels. At that point a slight lift or twist on the trans will pop it right on.

You haven't mentioned your pilot bearing at all. Make sure you seat it all the way on your flywheel and do not hammer on the center of the bearing, only use the outer race for that.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,468 Posts
That spring pin on te shifter linkage is sometimes called the b*tch pin, and if you are laying under the car to do the job of replacing it, even a good punch tool will still leave you aching from trying to position the pin, hold it there, and get a good whack without mashing your finger or dropping the pin. PITA. What I did to reinstall it:

This worked for me while lying under the car, using the same pin that I had removed, still in good shape.

(1) You'll need a nail thin enough to thread through the spring pin with room to spare and long enough to protrude from the top of the linkage after you thread it through the pin and the hole in the linkage that the pin will go into. The head of the nail must be as wide as the diameter of the pin itself (about 8mm).

(2) You'll need a small piece of cork, shaved maybe from a wine cork.

(3) Thread the nail through the pin and the linkage, hold it there, and poke the cork onto the top of the nail on the top of the shifter linkage.

(4) The pin and nail should be able to suspend themselves comfortably and kinda firmly in place without you holding them.

(5) Wack the nail head with good confident strokes until the pin starts to thread in. The nail will probably drop to the ground after a few strokes, leaving the pin started on its journey into the shifter linkage...

This will work in a couple minutes, while lying on the ground, saving you a pin, a parts trip, and days of waiting for the delivery.

More details here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post366551
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

You haven't mentioned your pilot bearing at all. Make sure you seat it all the way on your flywheel and do not hammer on the center of the bearing, only use the outer race for that.[/QUOTE]

Great news, the reason why I haven't mentioned my pilot bearing is because it came to me pre-assembled in the flywheel.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Amazing the struggles I am seeing people have with that pin.

I guess years of experience makes it pretty easy.

I do like this pin that's being sold. Would I buy it? Not unless I were doing these transaxles daily.

Honda Civic CRX Transmission Shift Linkage Roll Pin Removal Tool ***** Pin | eBay

Old 04-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

We had a few cold days within the last week, whereas April is a funny month where I live. Plus I had to give some attention to the brakes on my other Honda; but now I'm back to it all.

At this point, I'm just about ready to reinstall everything while adding that the pilot bearing to my flywheel already came pre-installed as a bonus.

I've decide that I'm going to have to rent a transmission jack for the day; but I'm also contemplating renting an engine host too given that the engine is leaning slightly towards the passenger side.

My question is whether or not this is necessary or if anyone can offer some viable alternatives. At present, the holes to the mounting brackets are slightly misaligned.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Turdbox - '96 Honda Civic DX
Last 3: 38.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
We had a few cold days within the last week, whereas April is a funny month where I live. Plus I had to give some attention to the brakes on my other Honda; but now I'm back to it all.

At this point, I'm just about ready to reinstall everything while adding that the pilot bearing to my flywheel already came pre-installed as a bonus.

I've decide that I'm going to have to rent a transmission jack for the day; but I'm also contemplating renting an engine host too given that the engine is leaning slightly towards the passenger side.

My question is whether or not this is necessary or if anyone can offer some viable alternatives. At present, the holes to the mounting brackets are slightly misaligned.
If you mean aligning the motor mounts, you might need a friend to push and shove the engine where it needs to be, or get a jack that lifts higher.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86azms3 View Post
If you mean aligning the motor mounts, you might need a friend to push and shove the engine where it needs to be, or get a jack that lifts higher.
I'm now at the point of attempting to install the transmission.

Actually, I was able to bypass all of that when I rented a transmission jack for today. In fact, the tilt of the engine seems to be helping somewhat; but only somewhat.

Still, I cannot or I think I'm not correctly lining up the splines with the input shaft from the transmission into the the new clutch. In either regard, I can't see what's happening to make a proper judgement.

For those who may ask, I did test fit the new clutch to the input shaft ahead of time, whereas everything is fitting the way that they should; but whenever I seem to have the splines lined up, the transmission will not slide all of the way onto the dowel pins off of the engine.

I've tried adjusting the height and angle of the transmission jack, as well as rocking and shaking the transmission forward when everything seems to line up. It's only at this point, when the transmission doesn't slide forward onto the dowel pins. I've even attempted starting over while rotating the input shaft in hopes that it lines up.

At this point, I'm calling it quits for tonight, whereby I'm open to suggestions.

Reply  Post New Thread