Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
WAI commentary

Had breakfast with an older gent who specializes in the science and technology of combustion and currently builds alternative fuel power plants in places like China, the US, and Canada. I asked him about the WAI and whether he thought it would work, and if so how. He says that the heat-expanded air would cause, in effect a richer mixture, though no extra fuel unless the rate of inject were separately adjusted. The WAI certainly does not produce a leaner burn (many of you probably already know that). Any FE gains he thought would have to be produced by heat energy recovery in the hot air being re-introduced to the engine from the manifold. He thought the gains would be minimal (which is true, by my test anyway). But adjusting the flow of fuel would create further gains. Has anyone done that in addition to the WAI itself?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
The fuel ratio is kept at stoichiometric by the O2 sensor. It can't run richer without the O2 sensor seeing this and correcting for it.
California98Civic (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The fuel ratio is kept at stoichiometric by the O2 sensor. It can't run richer without the O2 sensor seeing this and correcting for it.
Great informative response. Thanks. Question that reveals how newbie I am to the mechanics of all this (something I bet I reveal frequently): this stiochiometric repositioning by the O2 sensor would be true even in a slightly older car, like my 1998 Civic, correct?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Yeah, I think pretty much anything since the late 80s / early 90s has an O2 sensor.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

So this means then that the WAI does in fact create a leaner burn by manipulating the way the O2 sensor balances the fuel/air mixture... perhaps heat recapture is relevant, but the mixture would be more relevant, it seems to me.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Nope, it keeps the ratio at stoichiometric. The result is lower power output for a given throttle opening. To maintain speed, you must therefore open the throttle further. This decreases pumping losses which increases efficiency. Also the warmer air promotes a faster burn I believe, which leads to higher peak cylinder pressure and additional torque.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
which is why changeing Fuel Injector size does nothing for FE, new injectors might help (due to being clean) though.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Nope, it keeps the ratio at stoichiometric. The result is lower power output for a given throttle opening. To maintain speed, you must therefore open the throttle further. This decreases pumping losses which increases efficiency. Also the warmer air promotes a faster burn I believe, which leads to higher peak cylinder pressure and additional torque.
If it does produce higher peak cylinder pressure, wouldn't that also accomplish one of the goals of advancing the timing a couple degrees?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

I'm not sure how it would. If anything, running too hot will cause preignition and pinging and the knock sensor will see that and retard timing.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
California98Civic -

I tried to find a really good definition, but this is the best I could find :

Understanding air density and its effects
Quote:
If the air is in a balloon, heating it will expand the balloon, cooling it will cause the balloon to shrink as the molecules slow down. If the heated air is surrounded by nothing but air, it will push the surrounding air aside. As a result, the amount of air in a particular "box" decreases when the air is heated if the air is free to escape from the box. In the free atmosphere, the air's density decreases as the air is heated.
Pilots use charts or calculators to find out how temperature and air pressure at a particular time and place will affect the air's density and therefore aircraft performance. In general, these calculations don't take humidity into account since its affects are so much less than the others. When the air's density is low, airplanes need longer runways to take off and land and they don't climb as quickly as when the air's density is high.

Air density also affects the performance of automobiles, with lower density decreasing performance in the same way it decreases the performance of aircraft engines.
I went here to find air density as a function of temperature :

Air - Temperature, Pressure and Density

And came up with this :

When I say pseudo-AFR I think I am being misleading. Maybe a better way of saying it is that you are reducing the *displacement* of the engine by the percentage in the 4th column. The AFR stays the same from the 02 sensor POV. It's just that less oxygen and therefore less fuel is being burned per volume of air.

If what I am saying is correct, then this would give you an idea of the possible "change" in engine displacement at different intake temperatures :

BTW - I am not a car-guy either, so my statements are subject to correction by others.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread