Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dirty Bird - '94 Chevorlet Suburban Silverado 4X4

Teg - '89 Acura Integra RS
What all does an engine swap entail?

Hello, I've been on this website several times as just a guest. But to day I decided that I really like this community and am excited to see what it has to offer. Anyways, I drive a 1994 1500 silverado edition suburban 4x4.. It's just about as in-efficient a vehicle as anyone has ever seen. The 5.7L 350 is bigger than most modern pickup engines these days. However I am not willing to give up this suburban. And I have done a few minor thing to help with efficiency. Bought highway tires,cold air intake, reduced back pressure exhaust, ect. However one day I stumbled across a website offering a kit which would allow me to put a smaller isuzu diesil engine into the suburban while keeping my stock transmission and transfer case. The engine in my suburban has 225k and is having more issues all the time. I have had trouble finding the 4BD2TC engine that I would need for this swap. I just really need some help and insure from people who better understand the fundementals of swapping an engine. And I realize that this engine is smaller therefore I lose power and acceleration. I just think it would be more economical. And very unique. Any and all help or even your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Url

www .isuzudieselswapper. com

Here is the URL of the conversion kits website.
The Following User Says Thank You to Waerben For This Useful Post:
turbothrush (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What's your mileage goal, is it achievable with a GM 6.2 or 6.5. 6.5 in a 94 Tahoe I owned pretty much always averaged 18 driving it on intersate most of the time. No doubt it beat 20 just by keeping speed down to 55.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Whats wrong with a fresh 6.5L?
It will drop right in place of that 350.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't really have a definitive goal in mind for the mileage, however the 6.2 is a very large engine compared to the 3.9. I understand that putting another bolt in gm engine would be much simpler. However I am interested in this Isuzu diesel conversion for the sake of longevity. And to have something that not many people have. I realize that the cost of the diesel conversion will be expensive but I'm thinking that this would be a better long term solution and a fun project. And I honestly do think that the gas prices will continue to rise. And while diesel prices have stayed pretty much the same I believe that even though diesel does cost more per gallon the efficiency of this small engine will make it worth it.

Last edited by Waerben; 03-15-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
If you have an automatic tranny, you will probably need a tranny controller.
Most folks that swap small diesels into trucks use manual transmissions because there is no wiring to worry about. The diesel should have no problem hauling you around. Have you thought about a Cummins 4BT? Those are strong and get great mileage. I have been wanting one for a while and even called the company looking for more info. I figured on about 40 MPG as a minimum.

Small diesels use almost no fuel. I think most small non turbo diesels use about 2-2.5 gallons per hour when wide open and full load. This would give you around 30 mpg at 60 mph IF you were working that engine to it's limit. MOst of the time you are at less than half load, so the mileage would be 40-50 mpg. This is because the GPH would drop to about 1-1.5.

Deutz is another one to look at. Even john deere or caterpillar. They all make good diesels. My brother had an isuzu diesel and hated it. The design was bad to start with and it leaked everything. Hope this helps.

NEVER RUN ONE OUT OF FUEL!!!! Injector pumps cost $$$$!

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Cruze - '18 chevrolet cruze ls
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)

The Ram - '22 ram 2500 tradesman
90 day: 11.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerben View Post
Hello, I've been on this website several times as just a guest. But to day I decided that I really like this community and am excited to see what it has to offer. Anyways, I drive a 1994 1500 silverado edition suburban 4x4.. It's just about as in-efficient a vehicle as anyone has ever seen. The 5.7L 350 is bigger than most modern pickup engines these days. However I am not willing to give up this suburban. And I have done a few minor thing to help with efficiency. Bought highway tires,cold air intake, reduced back pressure exhaust, ect. However one day I stumbled across a website offering a kit which would allow me to put a smaller isuzu diesil engine into the suburban while keeping my stock transmission and transfer case. The engine in my suburban has 225k and is having more issues all the time. I have had trouble finding the 4BD2TC engine that I would need for this swap. I just really need some help and insure from people who better understand the fundementals of swapping an engine. And I realize that this engine is smaller therefore I lose power and acceleration. I just think it would be more economical. And very unique. Any and all help or even your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
4BT swaps Isuzu 4BD1T/2T

Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

kennedy adapters will have an adapter kit for pretty much anything you can imagine. they have a good website.

you should have a 4l60e transmission in your suburban. it is computer controlled. the 700r4 is the same transmission, older, which was not computer controlled. there are lots of 700r4's out there.

All that being said, there is a BIG difference in price between diesel fuel and gas. I don't know you will really save that much money.

what kind of mileage are you getting now? You should be seeing 18 or so on the road.

old chevy TBI's are FAMOUS for the ignition timing becoming retarded over time due to timing chain stretch. double check your ignition timing.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
An engine swap under your belt makes you a bona fide hot-rodder.

A 6.2 or 6.5 will be an easier swap than a 4BT3.9, but the latter may be more satisfactory in the long run.

Having 300,000 miles with a 6.2 I recommend that if you have the sand for an engine swap, go whole hog and do a transmission swap. diesels are so right with manuals and so wrong with automatics. My 6.2 destroyed seven automatics including two TH400s. Not just "it won't shift" but spectacular failures scattering burnt ATF and blue-colored parts down the road. GM offered a NV4500 in thiose trucks about that time so a five-speed should bolt right up to a 6.2 or 6.5.

There is a whole website devoted to 4BT3.9 swaps.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I'm not sure but i do think that I have a 700r4 and not the 4L60E, I might be entirely wrong. I average about 14 on the highway going about 60. My reason for wanting to swap with the Isuzu is because the Isuzu from what i have read is a very good and strong and efficient reliable engine that is easy to maintain and even rebuild. Not only that but there is a kit that I mentioned at the begging of this thread for coupling this engine to my existing transmission. I really would like to keep my existing transmission because it is in very good condition for its age and I also want to keep my 4X4 transfer case. The only thing that want to replace is the engine. Not my entire drive-traine. I realize that I will need a transmission controller. What i really want to know is how difficult will this truly be. I know it requires much more than just attaching the engine to my transmission. I know that custom engine mounts must be fabricated. Battery must be relocated. But what am i not thinking of that i need to prepare for? Do I need to replace my fuel pump and fuel lines for ones meant for diesel? What about my power steering pump and Freon lines? Or even the new alternator? Will i be able to use the alt that was meant to be used with the engine or will i have to fab brackets and use the old one that i have now? What about the a.c. compressor? How will my instrument panel work with this different engine? and finally what problems haven't i mentioned here that you think will be an issue for me when i attempt this swap?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
conversion, diesil, engine, suburban, swap