Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Princess - '08 Chevy HHR LSSR
90 day: 23.66 mpg (US)
What up with the irritating pop ups?

I had some problems with my computer recently. Now when I come on here I can not get past that irritating Heifer Village drop down pop up. (Pop Down?) I checked my tools and the pop up blocker is on. I have to keep closing out the $%#^& pop up just to read or post!
Tried to do a search and had to close out the ad several times just to type in what I needed. Very irritatating. Or you are reading a post and then it just drops down over the thread so you have to close it out to finish reading the thread!
The mouse was down near the bottom of the page and I did not even roll over the ad????
Do not know if my recent computer problems have anything to do with it or it is just an extremely irritating pop up.
Anyone else have this problem?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
What's Heifer Village? Is that an ad you're seeing? I don't believe I've seen anything like that that on the site.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

Old 07-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
Me either

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Aha! I had a look and Heifer International is a "geo-targeted" ad being served by one of the ad agencies. Which may explain why some people see it and others don't.

For a while there was a problem with a Honda Insight ad that was "flying out" over top of stuff. The solution is:

1) don't run your mouse pointer over the ad on your way to/from the menus, or...

2) sign up for membership and have all the annoying ads removed!

(They help pay the bills.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

Old 07-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
these problems can ba attributed to a machine strainging resources...the switch is on but the bulb is slow ya knaow what I mean? those ad agenices know it, and rape a machine whenever it can.

My problems stopped with 3.4ghz, 3 gb of ram, and vista premium. Not even home basic xp was fast for my setup. Shutdown services via advice from the net if you are in windows. Windows never admits the machine is sinking into an abyss of sloth, one has to learn it on thier own, for the stuff they are running. Again, stuff will indicate all ios ok, like pop up blocker, and simply not fast enough to react. that is a stck problem of priority, but who is going to keep 300 million people satisfied with ian oe operating system? not worth getting mad at mircosoft over it. work with it, it does have a function.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Um, geez, I kinda don't see too many ads on EcoModder.com. First of all, I run an old version of Linux, and the updates have stopped a long time ago, so I miss a lot of things (good things, too, like pictures on some album sites). Second, a lot of ads do make it through to me, so that's where FireFox plugins like AdBlock Plus, FlashBlock and Remove It Permanently come in. I've tweeked them to block a lot of ad-sites, and it turns out I hardly get anything when viewing EcoModder.com under Linux. Since I'm not sure whether there are any rules about not subscribing and blocking ads (I know this was illegal on Ogame back when I used to play), I'll add that I've never blocked an ad from an EM page - those that are blocked are from sites I've blocked elsewhere. A few ads still make it through whem viewing EM under WinXP.

If it turns out that by not being a subscriber (yet!!) I must see most or all ads on EcoModder.com, then please let me know and I'll see if I can make an exemption. On the other hand, I plan on subscribing soon for reasons that have nothing to do with ads.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thumbs down

I am sure the obnoxious HEIFER VILLAGE pop-down is a good money maker BUT

• HEIFER VILLAGE pop-down causes problems with browsers, it blocks all
normal functions except "CLOSE"

• It only a matter of time until the geeks find a way to block HEIFER VILLAGE

Heifer International is an nonprofit Arkansas Corporation headquarter in Little Rock, AR, next to the Clinton Presidential Library. I understand VEGANS do not like Heifer International.

Non-Profit or not the POP-DOWN IS ONOXIOUS

Old 07-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBall View Post
I understand VEGANS do not like Heifer International.
That's because they raise money for livestock

Old 07-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Princess - '08 Chevy HHR LSSR
90 day: 23.66 mpg (US)
Well, I certianly did not like the irritating pop down and I do not have a high opinion of Heifer International. I do not care who they are or what they do with such an irritating ad I would not do business with just because of that. I have to close it out about 20 times to read a thread. Finally I just said forget it and went to another web site but then I thought I should say something and see if I am the only one that had that problem.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I will say something and I hope it does not come off as harsh, but you ought to understand how these things work.

This website runs advertising through 3rd party companies, like most, because arranging for advertising is a full time job and we cannot do it. As such we have the ability to approve or reject ad buys on this site based on whatever criteria we see fit. So, if something is too annoying, we can reject it. However, if no one says anything, it doesnt get taken down. Especially if the ad is targetted to something like half a percent of our users, as this one was. So, I apologize if it was overly annoying, but until you speak up about it you can't expect anything to change. I have taken down the offending ad, in any case.

That said, there is another thing people ought to understand: Darin and I run this site as a full time job. It takes the time of one and pays very little for it. As such, we make what I think most would be considered poverty level wages in our respective countries.

What little money we do make is from advertising. And even as such, we make an effort to keep the advertising down on our pages. At most you will see two bits of it unless you go all the way to the bottom for the third. Unlike some site we dont put it right in the middle of the content or put 5 to 6 slowly loading ad blocks all over the place.

So, if you have a problem with advertising, pay to have it removed from the site, we gladly would. In fact, sign in members already have some turned off to make the experience better.

Anyway, before complaining too much about advertising, just remember that we don't come to your place of work and hassle you about how expensive your products are when you are only making $1 an hour to begin with.

No hard feelings, of course.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread