Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ranger - '08 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 20.73 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to adrive7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtech View Post
Ooooo... here's a what if.... and kind of a lofty one... I could be off my rocker here...what if we had an official Ecomodder project car??? Imagine... we form a team, select a car, the group designs and implements changes with the goal of 125+ mpg (or more)? The group shows the automakers what ecomodding is about and that real fuel economy is attainable. We could issue some press releases, and who knows, some of you guys might get on TV. I'd be willing to contribute a little cash to that project! I think it would be an awesome way to harness the power of the forum and get the word out to the masses. Certainly, there would be logistical issues (geography being a big one), but I think they are all surmountable.

Thoughts?
Lg
I smell an Automotive X-Prize.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #92 (permalink)
Lurker/Hacker/etc

00AccordCoupeVTEC - '00 Honda Accord LX
LOL - I wasn't even thinking about that, but it would be a nice return on investment!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #93 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
lgtech -

You should put your idea into a new thread. I vote for Ecomodding SVOboy's CRX (without his permission, of course, ).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 AM   #94 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I started out as a dropout in a factory, got into silversmithing, and then went to the library for a bit of engineering. I wish I'd read J.E. Gordon first. My resume got to be a long list of one-off gadgets that worked first time. Taking up Human Power as a focus, I built my first vehicle from scratch, and it won its world championship ten years later. I gave a lecture on its integrated frame/suspension in composites to a class of graduating engineers, and got applause. Now I want to do a similar one with a wood-sprung frame and tiny engine. The Car Cycle
Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #95 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I just got my BS - Mechanical Engineering, but I'm still working at the auto parts store. I ride my bicycle a few thousand miles a year for fitness, fun, and transportation. I roll with a pair of Daytrekker saddlebags. I would love to figure out how to commute to work on the bike and arrive looking and smelling professional, but until I figure that out, I'll be ecomodding my car.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Cooling on Bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
I would love to figure out how to commute to work on the bike and arrive looking and smelling professional, but until I figure that out, I'll be ecomodding my car.
My main rules for arriving in what seems acceptable condition are to avoid polyester clothing, maintain a vegetarian diet, and not get into foul moods. A good flow of air around your body is cleansing as well as cooling. Bucky Fuller invented a "Fog Gun" that would degrease hands with just a few ounces of water.

On really hot or humid days, you might have to ride slowly or even use an electric booster on the way to work. Velomobiles typically reduce airflow, but keep your body shaded, which can be a great boon.

You could take advantage of phase-change cooling by modifying an insulated bottle to dispense frozen berries or miniature popsicles. There are also ways to circulate ice water through your helmet and/or vest if you prefer.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #97 (permalink)
Test Tool Engr.

Red Rocket - '02 Honda Civic LX Sedan
90 day: 33.57 mpg (US)

Bronze Bucket - '98 Toyota Corolla VE
90 day: 34.97 mpg (US)

Silver Bullet - '06 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
When I was a student, I majored in Computer Science (Engineering, as opposed to Math). I also specialized in Japanese language, and minored in Linguistics and Asian Cultures. (It took quite awhile to graduate, mind you!)

Now I work for a company that makes video testing equipment (pattern generators, diagnostic and debug tools, etc.) as a software engineer and, on occasion, as a Japanese-language translator.

When I was younger I didn't care about cars at all (when I tinkered, it was with PCs). Now I'm becoming a lot more interested in what makes cars tick though, so (while it doesn't sound like much, it's a start...) I started out by doing some repairs on my wife's Corolla (replaced the stereo, cornering light, battery)... now I feel like doing more ambitious things
Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 AM   #98 (permalink)
newbie here to learn

Hot Rod toyota - '87 Toyota pick-up 2wd
I have been in the telecommunications field for 16 years. Started in the Air force. Honorably discharged. Went to work for the phone company. Got laid off after 4.5 years of loyal service. Worked odd jobs and was self employed for a year. After Hurricane Katrina ripped the gulf coast a new @$$, I went to Iraq as a contractor for the Army. I am still here in Iraq 3 years later. My interests are anything "alternative"; solar, wind (kudos to Ed Begley for his work with PACWIND), alternative fuels. I basically read a TON of stuff on the web everyday. I found this site just a few days ago and have read numerous threads from start to finish. I desperatly want to get home to start my own project now.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was a field engineer for a construction general contractor until 2000 when I had an accident that left me disabled.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #100 (permalink)
EcoNoob

RSX - '03 Acura RSX
90 day: 29.61 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to kaveman12
Mechanical Engineering Student

Joining the long list of folks here with engineering backgrounds.

Tags
haarlem, http://www.ugg-mall.com, lightyear