Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
Network and computer security...

Current hobby : solar cells. 3kWc will be installed on our roof before the end of the year :-)

Denis.
I had to laugh when I saw your profession and your hobby because we have the same background and I have just purchased 1600 individual 3inx6 inch solar cells for part of my RV mod. I'll post more about that later but I'd be interested in talking with you about your hobby since I'll be turning the entire roof of our RV into a giant custom solar panel for the EV mod. [laughing]

Hopefully I'll be able to make a template on a table and lay everything out ... and then flip one of those electric griddles upside down on top of the template for a poor-mans assembly line soldering process. Well, it would be hinged like a clam but it is possible. Electric griddles can be dialed to the correct temperature so it does have some possibilities. Plus at WalMart it will only cost about $25 to find out

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I guess I should have stuck to the thread. I'm a jack of all trades unless that includes doing anything useful. I am apparently not very handy or useful thus my current field of "computer stuff." As mentioned I am in the initial process of my RV mod. Since I have a total lack of all the skills needed I'll most likely be working on it for the next 20 years and you folks will be stuck with me for the entire time.

I look forward to talking with you all and I enjoyed reading through this thread. It looks like we have a lot of smart people and a lot of handy people and a lot of experienced people ... which is good ... because I lack in all three areas. But on the plus side, I have an old RV and and 1600 individual solar cells to get me started.

H
Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #83 (permalink)
Certified Freak

Greenblazer's Taco - '07 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab SR5 V6 4.0Liter
90 day: 24.54 mpg (US)
I am a dispatcher for the biggest luxury sedan/limo service in the area. I tell people where to go. I have been in this business since 1994.

OR

I am a babysitter. Because I have to supervise a bunch of grown babies(drivers) who cause crap tons of drama that is as juvinile as it gets. Trust me you have no idea how ridiculous these supposedly adult people can act.

OR

Cat herder because getting drivers to co-operate and pick up our customers is like herding cats.

In this business there is a "BIG Picture", unfortunately too few of the morons I work with can see the "BIG Picture". The "BIG Picture" refers to good customer service = more money, but too many of them are so small minded that if they get a customer that wants to go somewhere close by they have a bad habit of treating them poorly.

A smart driver knows that treating all customers well means repeat business, which means more money, but the morons have bad attitudes and tell customers how they have ruined their whole day because they want to go somewhere close by and the stupid greedy drivers only want to take them accross town to the airport. It is truly astounding how many of these drivers can't see the "BIG Picture". I could go on about the shenanagins that I have to deal with, but I'll spare you further details.

The good part is I am paid pretty well for what I do, and what I do involves sitting here in front of this computer reading and writing posts in between my job duties. Since I work at night I have plenty of time for internet fun. I have friends with college degrees that don't make what I do.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer
Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblazer View Post
OR

Cat herder because getting drivers to co-operate and pick up our customers is like herding cats.
I am a herder as well. My job title is "Research Operations Manager". But most of my time is spent as a shepherd and goat herd for our state university.

I have joined the forum because as I age, I find the need to chastise, whine, and complain. And to be true to built in code, I have to then be part of the solution.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #85 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

diegudio's leonidas - '09 Seat Leon 1.4 TSI

the big ship - '11 VW Sharan
I'm a mechanical aeronautical engineer.
Most of my experience is based in mechanical design (mostly using CATIA v5) and stress analysis (Patran, Femap, Ansys) in aero jigs/toolings for Airbus...
But I've also worked for the automotive industry as mechanical designer of production equipment.
Now I'm moving to the "management" as I've been chosen for a position as Focal Point / Project Manager, also in aeronautics.
ex VW Polo 1.9 TDI 100 CV (74 kW) - 47,1 MPG - diesel
Old 08-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Spark - '14 Chevrolet Spark LS
90 day: 34.24 mpg (US)

K3500 - '93 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually LS
90 day: 9.05 mpg (US)

Mango Tango - '15 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
90 day: 20.74 mpg (US)

Z0MBAE - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 16.11 mpg (US)
Hi everyone,
Unlike most of you, I'm just a plain 'ole factory rat. I've been playing a role in the assembly of large truck axles (Hummers, Cube Vans, 1-ton Pickups,etc) for the last 13 years. I currently have my papers submitted to take the $140k buy-out from American Axle & Manufacturing, but will most likely be staying until they close my plant in December. I've been a physical laborer in one way, shape, or form my whole life. I will pridefully admit, however, that I'm not stupid. I do, however, have a bad back...lol

I attended Denver Automotive & Diesel College straight out of high school, but that was 22 long years ago. I am a 100% do-it-yourselfer, and never pay anyone to do anything if I can help it.(Okay, I hired a guy to pump out my septic tank once or twice.) If I don't know about something, I do research until I do. My work isn't always perfect, but at least I can take pride that I saved money for my family and accomplished something most people would never undertake. To describe me in a word...FRUGAL

I'm a father of 4 awesome kids, Boy-17, Girl-16, Girl-15, Boy-13, and an EX to a wife that never appreciated me.

Hacksaw out.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Vue - '03 Saturn Vue
90 day: 25.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegudio View Post
I'm a mechanical aeronautical engineer.
Most of my experience is based in mechanical design (mostly using CATIA v5) and stress analysis (Patran, Femap, Ansys) in aero jigs/toolings for Airbus...
But I've also worked for the automotive industry as mechanical designer of production equipment.
Now I'm moving to the "management" as I've been chosen for a position as Focal Point / Project Manager, also in aeronautics.
one of my teachers had us do a project in ansys... but didn't teach us how to use it. The nerds that program for fun on the weekends got A's (Seriously, i have better/more productive things to do). Hopefully Ill learn how to use programs like that (also AutoCAD) when im actually working as an engineer

Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #88 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ranger - '08 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 20.73 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to adrive7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourigjm View Post
one of my teachers had us do a project in ansys... but didn't teach us how to use it. The nerds that program for fun on the weekends got A's (Seriously, i have better/more productive things to do).
Haha, same here! Last spring I had a Fluent class in which we were supposed to teach ourselves Gambit and Fluent and do a CFD simulation on a given scenario.

Professor knew about as much as we did starting out, but I got an A in the end... So I guess it worked out ok.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #89 (permalink)
suffering from ADD

you name it i have done it

i have a background that covers everything and i mean everything. back in the early 70"s i majored in computer programming with a IBM 1401 mainframe, we still used punched cards. I tought myself how to repair cars and still do. i then worked in heavy construction, including bakeries ice cream factories, refineries, steel mills power plants including nuclear, where i installed turbines and the control rods in 2 reactors. After moving to florida i go into computer graphics teaching myself Corel 3. Then i got into embroidery diditizing bu watching someone do it and teaching myself. I was then approched by GE to work in the power systems division to over see power plant construction, being i had worked on gas and steam turbines with a nuclear clearance. I traveled the contry for them a few years until the Enron colapse, afterwitch in 2002 i was asked to go to Bagdad to get the power plants up and running, I was told it would only be for 3 months. After seeing the condition of them I knew it was not going to be "only 3 months". I retired early at that time. I started a small knitch business doing digitizing. i found an old 58 Desoto convertible which i'm restoring and purchased a 95 dodge dakota with the intent of converting it to a hybrid.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #90 (permalink)
Lurker/Hacker/etc

00AccordCoupeVTEC - '00 Honda Accord LX
I think I have you all beat... I started out in Engineering but somehow landed in liberal arts. I have a degree in Theatre. Yes, you read correctly - Theatre. Um yeah, there's the acting bit, but the lighting and set design was pretty cool. Also, I've got experience with retail sales, retail systems, project management, Ecommerce applications and integrations (from the business side of things). Today, I'm a solution strategist for an Ecommerce company - really cool on demand software. Office Space quote, "I take the requirements from the customers and give them to the engineers. I'm a people person!!!" hee hee

I have to say that I am truly impressed by the talent pool on this forum. Engineers, designers and some serious fabrication and automotive technicians, not to mention the liberal arts crew is representing, too. Do you all realize that this forum has the collective expertise to successfully design & launch any eco-modding product we desire??? Take the OpenGauge project as an example; you guys are showing the world what open source ecomodding is all about. Congrats to you!

Ooooo... here's a what if.... and kind of a lofty one... I could be off my rocker here...what if we had an official Ecomodder project car??? Imagine... we form a team, select a car, the group designs and implements changes with the goal of 125+ mpg (or more)? The group shows the automakers what ecomodding is about and that real fuel economy is attainable. We could issue some press releases, and who knows, some of you guys might get on TV. I'd be willing to contribute a little cash to that project! I think it would be an awesome way to harness the power of the forum and get the word out to the masses. Certainly, there would be logistical issues (geography being a big one), but I think they are all surmountable.

Thoughts?
Lg

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
haarlem, http://www.ugg-mall.com, lightyear