Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #71 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post

I'll start cutting plastic and we'll see how it looks. Might have to try some tuft testing with it, depends how ambitious we feel.
I am not sure you will see a benefit to the rear deflector piece shown in this photo. Keep in mind that there is a “bow wake” flowing out at an angle to the direction of travel. This creates a low pressure area around the front wheel opening. On the photo of the green Insight you referenced, the back edge of the fender curves in to help the air flowing out of the wheel well to reattach down the sides of the car. IMHO you may not want to impede or block that flow and subsequent reattachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
The Following User Says Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (04-14-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #72 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
I am not sure you will see a benefit to the rear deflector piece shown in this photo. Keep in mind that there is a “bow wake” flowing out at an angle to the direction of travel. This creates a low pressure area around the front wheel opening. On the photo of the green Insight you referenced, the back edge of the fender curves in to help the air flowing out of the wheel well to reattach down the sides of the car. IMHO you may not want to impede or block that flow and subsequent reattachment.
Point taken. I was sort of trying to simulate that reattachment effect with the rear piece, but looking at it more I can see how it will likely be the opposite of helpful. For now I'll be eliminating it from consideration and just focusing on the leading edge piece.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
Old 04-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
If it's that half-crescent visible behind the tire, it would be a good foundation for a quarter-round fillet.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (04-14-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
reversing OEM parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
I removed the front mud guards, and put them facing the opposite direction on the leading edge of the rear wheels. This creates a sort of wheel spat. I saw someone else do this on a Nissan Leaf forum and thought it might be kind of fun. EDIT: Here is a link to the thread in question.

They certainly weren't going to stay where they were, they were an aerodynamic eyesore facing the other direction. Doing this deleted the old wheel "spat," if you can call it that. I've left a picture of that one. Laughably small.

BEFORE: Facing rear of vehicle from front. This is the left rear tire.

AFTER: Same as before.

I secured it to the metal wheel well in the back using the two screws that came with the mud guards, as well as a different self-tapping screw underneath, which drilled into the lower rocker panel. They are very secure. If you look closely, you can see approximately 80 holes where I drilled until I found the "sweet spot" for mounting.
The other side looks much cleaner and more professional.

The best part is, should I choose to sell the vehicle, the mod is easily reversible, and will leave no extra holes. Here's a side view down the right side of the car, from the front, showing where the flap was deleted on the front tire, and where it is located now on the rear.

It's a start.

Side note, previous owner left a dent in the rocker panel which I'm now acutely aware of......
I would caution that you may have created more drag than you can imagine.Subaru published an SAE Paper for the aerodynamic development of their 1985 XT,of Cd 0.29,which included a rear wheel 'flap,' designed to get the air off the rocker panels,and onto the tires without turbulence,exactly what your reversed mudflap approximates.However,there is nothing intuitive about the flaps,when realizing that they are wind-tunnel developed.It's not unlikely that your new flow is worse,rather than improved.It would cost $960 just to verify it.
Flakbadger (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #75 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

Team Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I would caution that you may have created more drag than you can imagine.Subaru published an SAE Paper for the aerodynamic development of their 1985 XT,of Cd 0.29,which included a rear wheel 'flap,' designed to get the air off the rocker panels,and onto the tires without turbulence,exactly what your reversed mudflap approximates.However,there is nothing intuitive about the flaps,when realizing that they are wind-tunnel developed.It's not unlikely that your new flow is worse,rather than improved.It would cost $960 just to verify it.
I had originally installed that reversed flap in part to provide a mounting point for a much deeper side skirt, as seen here:

Now that I've gone with shallower side skirts, I will revisit the idea of removing the "reversed" mud flap entirely. I was guesstimating based on various other threads I'd read about Leaf aerodynamics that this would help split the air better than the little tiny flap being presented "face on" to the wind---but having read some more, I was already not so sure. It sounds like these little deflectors are more for keeping the air already under the vehicle from escaping out the sides rather than deflecting what's going alongside the car around the wheels.

I was/am also considering using it as a mounting point to make modified skirting as was installed on the VW XL-1, copying their homework so to speak.

Sort of leading and trailing edge boattailing.

Perhaps something to revisit. Thank you for your expertise.

Last edited by Flakbadger; 04-15-2020 at 07:57 PM..
Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 PM   #76 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

Team Leaf
Testing out some aesthetic ideas

So based on fond memories of the old "military theme" thread and some of the neat ideas there, I wanted to start laying out ideas on what I'd like to have done in vinyl, someday, on my car.

I took a vector drawing from the internet of a Nissan Leaf, and then added in my own bits here and there, utilizing my scanner, and a set of markers. I really like the overall "military" look, but I think I'd like to go more toward a "NASA" style--more of a research vehicle than a warbird.

I want to put an ID number on the back end, not sure what numbers I should go for. Something to do with MPGe goals, or the year of the car, or...? Suggestions welcome.

Anyway I've got more ideas and several more copies of the template so I can mess around with different ideas. Nothing here is set in stone, just throwing some stuff to see what sticks.

I do love the black and yellow stripe on the back end. I copied it from the F-86 Sabre, which is my favorite jet fighter. Not sure if the smaller version up front will stay on the next iteration.

Love to know what people think. Cheers!

Last edited by Flakbadger; 04-16-2020 at 12:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:13 AM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Military look is cool and all, but when I see a white base color, I think of Larry Watson's
panel paint jobs.

https://www.speednik.com/wp-content/...rd-640x484.jpg

It's a look that is popular in Lowrider circles. Maybe camo pattern fills instead of lace?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #78 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Having been in gummit, I find white cars scream GSA purchased. Needs a bureau number stencilled somewhere 6 digits Helvetica bold in black.
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #79 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

Team Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Military look is cool and all, but when I see a white base color, I think of Larry Watson's
panel paint jobs.
It's a look that is popular in Lowrider circles. Maybe camo pattern fills instead of lace?
That is really beautiful but SO not my style! Lol. Neat paint job though. I love seeing stuff like that at car shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Having been in gummit, I find white cars scream GSA purchased. Needs a bureau number stencilled somewhere 6 digits Helvetica bold in black.
ID numbers would definitely be in the future if I were to go this route. I'm also, like I said, kind of considering a more NASA look too. We'll see.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #80 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

Team Leaf
Another quick doodle.

I love blue, so I figured I'd go for something a little more simplified and see what comes out. Like this one a lot, has more of a prototype aircraft look to it, to me. Still got 3 more templates, so I'll do more doodling.

EDIT: My best friend informs me that this looks like an insurance company vehicle. Hm...

Last edited by Flakbadger; 04-16-2020 at 06:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-16-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread