Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Persistence is the most basic ingredient of success.

regards
mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Baltothewolf (09-21-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #162 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Anyone want to bet that correcting the fan flow corrects the overheating problem? Give me your odds.

Hopefully the overpressured pressure tester and the overheating did not cause any more problems.

regards
mech
I'll bet that it won't. But I have no way of knowing whether he is being truthful or not. Neither do you, nor does anyone else. After numerous pages of advice, sometimes not well taken, it seems he is still playing us.

Ha-ha. Indeed.

That's why I don't believe everything I read on internet forums.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #163 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Persistence is the most basic ingredient of success.

regards
mech
I definitely agree. But as you also know, the customer (or patient, or the one voicing the complaint) may be ignoring certain aspects of the situation, or not relaying or telling the whole truth of it. In such cases, no remedy or cure can ever be successfully applied, because the information presented to the diagnostician is not accurate - for whatever the reason: Be it willful, or not.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #164 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
XYZ I think your going to eat your words! I can't vouch for it solving the overheating issue as I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, but after reversing the fans my A/C is working! Yes! I'll be doing a test drive in about an hour and I'll give you guys an update!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #165 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Hey Balto, I really hope that it is just the fan, and that no Insight components were damaged in the compilation of this thread. I am interested how everything got turned around. Had I seen this earlier, I would have suggesting rigging something temporary and reversible to reverse polarity, but it does not matter now.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:29 AM   #166 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

XYZ, you think I was jerking you around?

Old radiator held up against new one (which is installed now obviously AS I SAID IT WAS).

Hollowed out thermostat next to the one that I got, as I said.

Wires reversed in polarity for A/C condensor thingy.

Main fan reversed polarity.

If you don't want to believe me now, and think I have been "Wasting your time", whatever. I guess I should be used to getting treated like **** but I guess you never really do.

It's kinda sad when someone who makes 9$ an hour comes asking for help because he can't afford to take his car to a mechanic, then gets attacked instead of told "We aren't interested in giving free advice".
Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #167 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Well the overheating seems to be solved. Coming to work just now I have to climb a hill that I always get hot on, and sure enough, stayed dead at 199-203F. It seems to run cooler now when cruising, probably because the fans aren't blocking air from entering the car and they are providing additional airflow around the engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 02:27 AM   #168 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Hey Balto! I am glad that you figured it out! I am sorry that it was such a long and hard road to get this far! Please take your dad for a hug at Denny's!

By the way, nobody pointed out that your fans actually made your car slower... :P
Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #169 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
By the way, nobody pointed out that your fans actually made your car slower... :P
Hey wait! It's like a highly inefficient variable grill block, would a car running the radiator fan backwards, stalling out the air flow through the radiator, have a lower Cd? Although very likely less efficient overall
Can we use this somehow? Faster warm ups? ....I'm guessing this is a dead end though
Old 09-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #170 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
This honestly hurts. If I were ****ing with you guys, or were 'playing' you guys, what would I gain? I thought I was well enough known around here to not be thought of so low, but I guess it doesn't matter. I'm sorry I ever asked for help. I don't think I'll ever be asking again. Or even posting for that matter.
If you never ask or post again, then anyone with something similar going on looses and you loose. Compared to some people I have had to deal with in my former career this "forum confrontation" is amateur hour.

Back to the purpose of this thread, which is to fix your over heating.

Is there a thermostat in the car now? It needs to have a thermostat for you to get your best mileage and for the engine to run properly.

Ass-uming your overheating issue is resolved, remain vigilant, watch the coolant level for any change or loss. Bleed it daily for a week, when hot and under pressure. No more "microbubbles" is your goal, and after there are no more microbubbles, the coolant level (engine dead cold) remains the same for at least a week before this overheating issue is declared FIXED.

The people who I had the most trouble dealing with were those who came in the shop with what I percieved to be a chip on their shoulder, who considered my profession as not worthy of any respect. I understood that their attitude towards me was probably based on their prior experience with shops other than my own and I sometimes get the same perception here.

Maybe quotes should have been used by me in posting that phrase. Maybe people should just ask for clairfication instead of starting a flame war and call people things that they are not.

If there is a perfect unregulated internet, it will be in a place other than this planet.

Maybe Frank Lee will come back and post here, but it is beginning to look doubtful and that is sad.

Stick around balto, these things (problems) take patience and absolute determination to resolve. I misdaignosed your problem and advised you improperly not becasue I am some diabolical, sadist who likes to take you on pathways that are a complete waste of time and money as well as very frustrating. It was only because I did not have all the facts.

This thread demonstrates the IMPORTANCE of all of the information. You did not know better and had no problem posting that. It's much better than with holding the information as many people do, then the same people call the tech an idiot when he does not diagnose the problem properly.

First a pressure test then a visual inspection of the system's operation. It would have taken about 30 minutes max and you might have been ok with the old radiator, but you figured out how to prove, to yourself, the old radiator was probably not up to your temps and grades.

The jury is still out as to whether your ordeal is over. Want to bet that for the rest of your life, you never forget this?

regards
mech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Baltothewolf (09-21-2014), nemo (09-21-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread