Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
CRXFi Build Thread (Geo Metro XFi drivetrain in Honda CRX)

Since I decided to give up on fixing the rusted out unibody of my Metro XFi (Its available if anyone wants it), I have been dreaming about swapping my XFi motor into a CRX shell. The CRX seems to be a little better:
-at keeping the rust out of critical structural components (I won't have to travel several hundred miles south to get a rust free metro shell only to run the risk of it eventually rusting after I get it)
-is of similar weight to the metro
-has a better Cd
-could feasibly be acquired for about the same price as a metro

In addition, two CRXs just showed up at the local junkyard, one of which is a fully intact HF with 211k miles on it. For starters I yoinked the harness and the dizzy, because they are good cash crops to begin with even if I don't end up pulling the engine/tranny. I'm considering getting that stuff regardless of if I pursue a novel swap.

The easiest thing to do to accomplish powering a CRX body with a G10 engine would be to put both the metro motor and transmission in, but the main question is this: Would it be possible to cobble together my G10 engine onto an HF transmission, yielding an unprecedented gear ratio for a 3 cyl of 2.95 (this would kick the pants off the coveted 1.3l Swift final drive ratio of 3.523 and my XFi transmission's 3.79)....It may even be too low...

Anyway, the reason I pose this question is because the metro transmission looks like this in its natural habitat:

And here's a CRX (this one is an Si)

The metro transmission is to the right of the motor, and the CRX/Civic transmission is to the left of the motor. Does anyone know if these crankshafts turn different ways? Regardless of whether or not its possible to couple an HF transmission with an XFi motor, I still think it would be awesome to make a "CRXFi"

P.S. If the HF thing doesn't work, I'm still interested in "rescuing" that HF stuff from the junkyard and turning it around if anyone wants it. Also, please feel free to go get it ahead of me and I'll sell you back the dizzy and ECU for what I bought them - I would just REALLY hate to see that stuff go to waste and get torn up aimlessly like the integras up there. The resistor box and that area of the harness is already hacked up, so I must act quickly before someone goes and ruins it.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Just spin the whole engine around if you have to. So what if your oil dipstick is in the back?

/kidding
Old 12-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
It would be simpler to just transplant the heart and muscles into the new body rather than a Frankenstein maneuver hacking together the XFi to the HF tranny.
Besides, Darin has already transplanted the lowest ratio transmission (Swift 1.3l) into an XFi (modded) engine, and said that the engine had *just enough* gumption to get it going up hills in gears that previously easily got the Firefly moving.
If you go too low on it and it lugs horribly with the HF transmission, maybe you could rig a Saab turbo into it and make it a three manufacturer vehicle (but you toss a turbo onto the G10 and you'll likely have to reinforce it) and really make it a unique MPG Franken... uh..machine . I look forward to the start and (hopefully) finish of this build. Good luck, and we are here for support!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
I thought that honda engines crankshaft turned the opposite direction. So you'd have to have the exhaust manifold facing the firewall ala old Saabs.

It's possible I think but I don't know how economic it would be. The cost of the swap that is, I'm sure it'd get amazing mileage with proper gearing and tune.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I may not end up trying the frankenstein thing after having a good look at the transmission in my 91 civic hatch (a handy reference for this sort of thing!). The only way it could possibly work is if the g10 were to be put backward (not a huge deal) and for the hf tranny to accept clockwise motion for moving the axels counter clockwise (really doubt it).

Dropping the whole metro kaboodle in there is still on the table though, and I will try it if I can find a CRX shell for a reasonable price - nothing over $500, maybe $600 if it's in really nice shape. I'm in no rush with it, but hopefully gas prices hang tight enough for CRX prices to stay about the same as they've been, because the price I'm looking for doesn't seem far out of the question. Too bad I can't get a shell from the junkyard
Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Cool noodling!

Don't forget to compare the cars' CdA, not just Cd. The answer may lie in the EM wiki.

Edit: The best situation would be to find a first gen CRX HF. Even lighter and smaller than the 2nd. Undoubtedly better CdA than the 89-94 Suzukiclones.

I saw an older (ForkenSwift vintage) Swift non-GT sitting at a local garage last week. Most of the non-GT Swifts were the 1.3L SOHC with the tall final drive. I could go see about its status if you want.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
CRXFi? Awesome, but that would be even crazier than dropping an Insight engine into a CRX.

Btw, you say geared too low, I say needs aeromods. ;-)
Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm not afraid of 1st gear being the power I'm used to having in 3rd gear, I'm just afraid it simply isn't possible to hook up a left motor to a lefty transmission. There has to be a lefty and a righty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I saw an older (ForkenSwift vintage) Swift non-GT sitting at a local garage last week. Most of the non-GT Swifts were the 1.3L SOHC with the tall final drive. I could go see about its status if you want.
Absolutely! You don't know anyone who wants the innards of a 2nd gen CRX HF do you? I'd hate so much to see it get torn up that I'm willing to go dig it out next week and keep it around.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The HF's transmission won't work out because you'd need a reversing gear drive in the bell housing. Good luck with that part. Also, the G10 just doesn't have the torque to really pull that much weight under those circumstances, and you'd be driving with a straight right leg all the time.

Probably better to start off with the easier setup, and then figure out where you can go from there.

I applaud the idea, as I told you, though. Look forward to any progress you make.

Does Gary's sell whole cars? That HF would be a good starting point, it's the lightest CR-X chassis there is. (2nd gen anyway).

Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Will - Those cargo panels behind the seats are the most valuable part of the whole interior, basically. That and the dash/center console.

Also, for some reason, the center vents and clock are fairly valuable. Apparently, ricers can't keep from breaking those parts when they want to paint them loud, annoying contrasted colors.

The '88 HF's doors are lighter than any other door, and the front sway bar (sorry, I thought rear at first.) is hollow, but stiff, thus lighter. Auto cross racers find value in these parts.

Also, if you can get the ball joints and tie rods loose, Ben might need those knuckles... LOL.

Reply  Post New Thread