Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #3161 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello guys,
I have the dip version of the board and software with manual pi-testing. Even though i configured my throttle values and keep the pot at deadzone, there is a small amount of current going through my motor which moves the shaft back and forth slowly. My data stream shows Idref, throttle, mechanical speed values are all 0 but Id value keeps changing between +-3A. Motor spins with vibration if I throttle it.Has anyone had a similar problem before? DC bus voltage is output of 3-phase rectifier btw, could it be a leakage problem?

Last edited by mitsui; 09-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: spelling
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-28-2017, 04:44 AM   #3162 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Strange,
But similarily happened to me when i tried to load supposedly good firmware i got permanent error and could not start PWM.
On higher voltage i have problems with encoder. On LV i can drive motor without problems.

I did notice that using ABZ encoder directly i can spin Leaf motor only in mode 2 (general BLDC motor) while in mode 3 i motor starts to shake but not turn if i apply throttle.
I intend to install resolver to encoder converter and try if it works with original resolver and mode 3 (LEAF motor).

A
Old 10-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #3163 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I finished this epic thread last night, and I've gotta say - Thank You! Thank you to Paul, for your hard work, and willingness to share it with us. To E*clipse, for adding a slew of interesting and relevant technical ideas. To thingstodo, for a comprehensive test program. And to all the other posters who chipped in with ideas, thoughts, and advice.

Bit of background - I spent almost 30 years working at a defense company, in a group that designed and built both control systems and power converters. I had the privilege of working on several large inverter and converter programs. Most of the time I was the program "lead," which I always interpreted as serving the team by working to get the right resources at the right time, and by running interference with management so the really smart guys could get their work done. This project was one of the best examples of a tight technical team working together I've seen.

Next step for me is to go find schematics and source code. I have some questions about some of the design choices that were made, that weren't directly answered in this thread (believe it or not!). But I want to understand the design a little better first - the answers may reveal themselves.

Looking forward to building one of these myself, very soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazFisher For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (04-09-2022)
Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #3164 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Would that there were some scripted language that would visit each of the 317 pages, capture only the body date and author for each post into a tab-delimited text file.

I'd turn Mac OS Summarize Text loose on that. Rather than, you know, reading the whole 317 pages again.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:51 AM   #3165 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
If you increase the posts per page to max, it is only 80 pages
Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #3166 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
mitsui:

What current sensors are you using? For high powered applications, +/-3amp is pretty normal for the swing. Even at zero throttle, the controller is actively commanding 0 torque (Iq = 0). When it's in a car (or gocart) you don't notice it. Since it's torque command and not speed command, it's not intended for applications where it's unloaded. The only reason why I can think it is running rough is wrong PI values or some issue with a position sensor.

Thank you for the kind words Chaz!

arber, I've only tested the leaf motor with the stock resolver. I can't say what is happening there.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #3167 (permalink)
EV

Man, I still can't figure out why my board won't program. I keep getting an error when it tries to connect saying that while the programmer is trying to supply 5v, it is measuring VDD as 4.5v and fails to connect. Sometimes I can "trick" it into connecting by changing the supply voltage to 4.5v, but then when I try to program the hex it says "programming failed because the device address was different than expected.

I tried replacing my PICkit3 and replacing the dsPIC30F4011. Neither made any difference, I still get the same errors.

Has anybody run into anything remotely similar to my predicament?

I'm primarily an AVR guy, so I'm not super experienced with PIC devices. Here is the procedure of my attempts:

1. Connect PICkit3 to computer via USB
2. Open microchip IPE
3. Make sure dsPIC30F4011 and pICkit3 is selected
4. Open advanced settings and select "power circuits from programmer" in power tab
5. Make sure 5v is selected for VDD voltage
6. Connect PICkit3 to motor driver board programming headers. I am not using extension cable, I am plugging the PICkit3 directly into the board.
7. Back on main screen press connect (this is where it gives me the VDD error)
8. If it were to connect, this is the point where I would select the .hex file and press program.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #3168 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I don't think the pickit can power the board's 5v. I always have to provide the 24v power to the board.
ScottyWarpNine (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #3169 (permalink)
EV

Thanks Paul,

That seems to have solved the connect problem. Still won't program though. I get this error message:

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x63ff
configuration memory
program memory
Address: 0 Expected Value: 40100 Received Value: 0
Failed to program device
2017-11-16 12:50:27 -0500 - Programming failed
Pass Count: 0

I'm pretty confident in my solder joints, especially as I soldered a new PIC on and get the same result.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #3170 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyWarpNine View Post
That seems to have solved the connect problem. Still won't program though. I get this error message:

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x63ff
configuration memory
program memory
Address: 0 Expected Value: 40100 Received Value: 0
Failed to program device
2017-11-16 12:50:27 -0500 - Programming failed
Pass Count: 0
That looks familiar. Do you have the PICkit 3 plugged straight into the board or are you using an extender cable?

I ended up taking Paul's advice and using only a male - male pin header instead of the short parallel cable that came with the PICkit 3. Before I did that ... I think I was getting a similar error message.

I used the USB cable that came with the PICkit 3, running approximately 90 degrees to the other cables on the board - encoder, throttle, contactor signals. I don't know if that part helped or not.

Reply  Post New Thread