Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #801 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,395 Times in 3,368 Posts
95% of my job is work from home. 5% is working at the customer location. Much of the repetitive work is done in India. The Indian counterparts are paid about 1/6th of my wage.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #802 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
95% of my job is work from home. 5% is working at the customer location. Much of the repetitive work is done in India. The Indian counterparts are paid about 1/6th of my wage.
Which means eventually your employer will find a way for Indians to do 95% of your work and leave the other 5% to a local tech.

Even onsite work isn't protected from remote work. We've had to get creating in manufacturing over the last 2 years while air travel was banned. We've done a lot of video streaming were a local tech is our hands and feet on the ground. For software changes just have them plug into the machine and then hand over remote access. Development mock-up are also done remote were we used to fly in 20 - 30 people for a week.

Pre-Covid 0% of Manufacturing Engineering was in Mexico. Today it is about 15 - 20%. Why Mexico and not India? Time zones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-11-2022), Xist (02-15-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 11:14 AM   #803 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
This is true. I imagine us in the flyover country are just the first stage of the ones who benefit from WFH (friend is applying to jobs in CA that are remote for high pay here but low pay there I may apply too if he gets the job). Eventually it will work its way through to India. On the bright side I do more than engineering, so if it comes to it I will do something else. Kinda crazy that the pay for engineering isn't that spectacular anyways.
Redpoint we mostly do Lean Six Sigma over and over. Get your first belt if need be then go green and then black. They require on the job projects for green and black to get the certification. There's a lot of places that do the certification. The local workforce place and I think the community college here does it.

Try not to study the JIT method too much. I laugh at that part now that covid has taken its course.
redpoint5 (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #804 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Which means eventually your employer will find a way for Indians to do 95% of your work and leave the other 5% to a local tech.

Even onsite work isn't protected from remote work. We've had to get creating in manufacturing over the last 2 years while air travel was banned. We've done a lot of video streaming were a local tech is our hands and feet on the ground. For software changes just have them plug into the machine and then hand over remote access. Development mock-up are also done remote were we used to fly in 20 - 30 people for a week.

Pre-Covid 0% of Manufacturing Engineering was in Mexico. Today it is about 15 - 20%. Why Mexico and not India? Time zones.
Our Indian counterparts being almost exactly oppositely timed is an asset in many regards as that allows a project to "follow the sun" to be continually worked on. The customer upgrade that began at the end of Friday in Portland was started by myself and an "installer" from Dallas (TX). We handed over to India at night, then picked it back up Saturday morning. This allowed for a smooth go-live Monday morning.

I've maintained that I'm not special and my occupation is not protected, so I have no double-standards when it comes to my seemingly callous reaction to the ever changing jobs market. Our minds and bodies are reprogrammable devices. If something obsoletes what I do, I'll do something else. That's not to dismiss the great discomfort and difficulty that entails, but at the same time, I enjoy a challenge and variety is what makes life interesting to me.

Perhaps the thing I'm least able to identify with are those who dislike learning, are happy for every day to be exactly as the last, and are most content when nothing changes. I don't know what to say to those except that the 21st century was an unfortunate era to exist.

I expect globalization to continue to level the labor markets. I expect technology to continue to raise the floor on menial labor. I expect some form of UBI to be inevitable as that ever increasing floor surpasses the usefulness of the lowest skilled/opportunity individuals.

We're going to have to figure out how individuals who have nothing of societal value to contribute in our materialistic value structure to find meaning. Our suboptimally structured value system is a big contributing factor for the rise in despair, addiction, and crime. Our materialistic approach to solving the problem caused by materialism is foolish.

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-11-2022 at 12:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
JSH (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 03:56 PM   #805 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
Everyone can contribute to society, just for some it isn't valued. Ever deal with a idiot savant? (Actual term not garbage mouth)
Old 02-11-2022, 04:50 PM   #806 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,612 Times in 7,093 Posts
Ignore them at your peril. duckduckgo.com/?q=weaponized+autism

Old 02-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #807 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Not everyone is meant to be happy, not everyone will succeed.

On the bright side life isn't always about money and success is an opinion. I grew up poorish and hung out with kids from the projects and hud housing and they were perfectly content with what they had. A lot of them grow up on the system, settle into it, raise their kids on it, and continue the cycle. I knew a lot of them who's parents worked 15hr/week-55hr/week lol
Old 02-11-2022, 05:21 PM   #808 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Everyone can contribute to society, just for some it isn't valued. Ever deal with a idiot savant? (Actual term not garbage mouth)
Of course, I meant in terms of a paying job though. Set minimum wage at $20/hr, and a lot of jobs go away. Society deems jobs below that to not be valuable human pursuits.

My point is, technology keeps raising the skill bar for employment, but humans are still running the same wetware since human biology doesn't change as rapidly.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
JSH (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 09:52 PM   #809 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,612 Times in 7,093 Posts
Quote:
Not everyone is meant to be happy, not everyone will succeed.
I'm proof of the latter, but I contest the former. Happiness is a choice. i choose to not care.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (02-14-2022), redpoint5 (02-11-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 10:01 AM   #810 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'm proof of the latter, but I contest the former. Happiness is a choice. i choose to not care.
But if you don't care, you must be satisfied/happy so you're a conundrum or a contridiction.

As the shrink says: "Tell me how you really feel"