Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
You need to replace the thermostat, preferrably with an OEM Honda unit. Make sure the system is properly bled when you refill the coolant. IF you dont when really cold weather arrives, you probably will not have any heat to warm the car. Gauge should read around half way within 1.5 miles.
Maybe, maybe not.

I don't know if it's true on all Civics, but on my '01 the factory gauge is all but useless. It has no numbers, just evenly spaced tick marks with one red one at the top. Based on what my Ultragauge reports, normal operating temperature (180°F) is only about 1/3rd of the way up the gauge, when the fan turns on (206°F) it's still less than halfway. When my headgasket blew and it was overheating (~230°F) it finally got to halfway. I have no idea how hot it would have to get to hit that red mark, but I bet the head would be warped.

So, good advice on the thermostat, just be aware that the gauge may give you poor information.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
98civHX (10-28-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Also, more details about the car:
Is it an auto or manual?

Is it stock or does it have modifications? In particular:
  • Large wheels
  • Cold air intake
  • Header
  • Big wing/spoiler
All of these can negatively impact economy.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 10-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98civHX View Post
Yeah, I'm new to this site. I clicked on your profile and tried to PM you but I wasn't sure how to do it. But, I just sent you a reply in my email as well and I'll edit my rmail out of the previous post.
I just sent the google-drive file/link to you... you should be able to download it. Did you receive it?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
98civHX (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

I don't know if it's true on all Civics, but on my '01 the factory gauge is all but useless. It has no numbers, just evenly spaced tick marks with one red one at the top. Based on what my Ultragauge reports, normal operating temperature (180°F) is only about 1/3rd of the way up the gauge, when the fan turns on (206°F) it's still less than halfway. When my headgasket blew and it was overheating (~230°F) it finally got to halfway. I have no idea how hot it would have to get to hit that red mark, but I bet the head would be warped.

So, good advice on the thermostat, just be aware that the gauge may give you poor information.

Benz tech bulletins stated their cars could run as high as 256 degrees without issues as long as coolant was 50-50 mix and proper pressure cap (13 psi). Probably lost the head gasket then ran hot.

regards
mech
Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The old wire wound bimetallic gauges used in the first z cars were the same as those in a F15 fighter jet.

Good advice anyway, the real question is how long does it take to get to operating temp.

180 degrees at the top hose, you can tolerate for a few seconds placing your open hand on the surface of the top hose.

regards
mech
Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Also, more details about the car:
Is it an auto or manual?

Is it stock or does it have modifications? In particular:
  • Large wheels
  • Cold air intake
  • Header
  • Big wing/spoiler
All of these can negatively impact economy.
It's all stock and manual transmission.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I just sent the google-drive file/link to you... you should be able to download it. Did you receive it?
Thanks James, I'll look at it after work.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

On thing that really affects mpgs on Honda lean burn is EGR system condition. Are you getting any check engine lights? Make sure the check engine might comes on for a few seconds at start up to verify the bulb is functional. The main issue with the EGR system is clogged passages and sticky/faulty EGR valve.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-civic-ex View Post
On thing that really affects mpgs on Honda lean burn is EGR system condition. Are you getting any check engine lights? Make sure the check engine might comes on for a few seconds at start up to verify the bulb is functional. The main issue with the EGR system is clogged passages and sticky/faulty EGR valve.
No check engine light at all. I figured that I would clean it out since I've read that it helps out with mpg. I just sea foamed the car and I've notice little improvements, especially with the idle. If someone thinks I shouldn't clean the egr passage ways please let me know.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Are you sure it's stock? Post the RPM in fifth gear at a certain speed and we can check that the transmission didn't get swapped with a lower geared one at some point.

Only reason not to clean the EGR is if you don't think you'll be able to put it back together correctly.

Your short trips certainly aren't helping, but you should be able to get at least in the 30s in all but the worst conditions.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Reply  Post New Thread