Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Connie - '00 Kawasaki Concours

Good Vibe-rations - '03 Pontiac Vibe GT
Finally found the thread/post that inspired me to do this after looking at the posted link and googling like projects:

Cruise Control Thread

I made it back to Dallas in one piece, and my right leg was very happy! It looks as if I'll be selling the car soon, so probably no brake/clutch cancel like I wanted to. I'll mention what I was thinking of trying for that in case anyone wants to try the project for themselves. Since I didn't have a cancelation system, I found myself turning it off and using the accelerator many times when I was in traffic or close behind other vehicles.

I ended up adjusting it for hills to keep my speed within about a 10mph range. With the exception of my side trip to the Kansas City meetup I had at least one other person in the vehicle with me for each leg of the trip, so even though my vehicle mileage may fall a little short (majority of the driving was at 5 over, or 75mph), my pmpg (people miles per gallon) shouldn't be to bad.

After getting used to it, even the short travel wasn't a big deal. If I was going to redo it anyway to put in a clutch/brake cancel I'd probably gear it down, but it worked quite well how it was.

---------

Thoughts on brake/clutch canceling: The bike shifter cable runs inside a tube. The end of the tube is held by the bracket, but there is a hole allowing the cable to move and pull on the accelerator arm by the cable which goes to the throttle. My plan was to have a key shaped hole in the bracket. When the cable is placed in the slot, the tube is stopped by the sides of the bracket and the cable can pull on the accelerator. When the brakes/clutch are pressed a cable or lever from the brake and clutch pedals pulls the tube to the large end of the keyhole where the tube pulls through the bracket, releasing the tension on the accelerator.

The main issues would be:
A: Having tension on the tube so when the clutch/brake and the hand throttle are released the tube will slide back through the bracket and into the narrow part of the keyhole slot (resetting for hand throttle use after canceling).
B: Figuring out the connections between the clutch/brake levers and the tube, to allow full range motion of the clutch/brake while moving the tube within the beginning of the range of motion, without moving it too far.

----------

Since it looks like I'll be selling this car soon, there is a very good chance I'll be removing this from this car and not installing it on my new car (since it has "real" cruise control). I have an idea that I'll be bringing up in the previously linked thread as a "cruise control mod", and I'll probably attempt that once I'm in possession of my new car.

If anyone is interested in doing this mod for themselves I'd be happy to trade ideas, photos and sketches to give you the most help I can in creating an new and improved version.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
It's good to hear that you made it back home from the trip/meetup in one piece!

It sounds as if the car deal that you talked about at the meet is going to happen. Even with cruise on the car, a mechanical throttle setup would help with DWL situations when driving an automatic like mine.

Which reminds me... I still need to get over to the Successes thread and post about how I did on my trip tank...

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I have an old throttle lever for a lawnmower, still in its plastic.
I bet that would work out as well as yours did.
Gonna try it soon.
Thanx for the idea.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
This has been on my "want to do" list for a while. Thanks for the pictures and feedback!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Something like this would be perfect for the Prius technique called super highway mode. You position the pedal at a specific spot and leave it there for 90+ mpg. You usually have to pulse back up to speed after a while, but getting back into that specific pedal position with some sort of device would certainly be very useful.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
I have an old throttle lever for a lawnmower, still in its plastic.
I bet that would work out as well as yours did.
Gonna try it soon.
Thanx for the idea.
Be sure to post pics!

The biggest unknown going in was how and where to mount the bracket. Until you get under your dash and see what mounting options you have you can't do any design and fabrication (other than for mounting the lever). Until I found those bolts by the steering column I thought I was going to have a bracket attached near the center console.

One thing I'd probably change if I was moving it to a different vehicle, is the direction the lever moves. I mounted it so the lever is forward when off, with the thought that it would be in a natural position to easily turn off as I moved my hand quickly to it. I probably would mount it the other way round next time: where the lever is backward and is moved forward to increase throttle. Seems to make more sense, I guess thats like an airplane throttle? (I've never flown a plane before, so I'm not sure why I'd think that )
Old 07-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I'm not sure

of the levers orientation.
Forward or reverse for acceleration.
I will have to look at that as I put it in the car.

Do you find it easier to pull back quickly to release your throttle?
Is that what I am hearing in your last post?

I hadn't thought of that either.
I am certain there are issues I will need to work out.
The first one being if the unit I have is still usable.
I found it 2 weeks ago while cleaning the garage.
Covered in dust and looking like a relic from the past.
In its cardboard and plastic bubble packaging it appears to be fine.
But in my garage for 8 years it may be rusted solid.

I'll post pics and detail when I am done.
TTFN

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jim Bissel View Post
... moved forward to increase throttle. Seems to make more sense, I guess thats like an airplane throttle? (I've never flown a plane before, so I'm not sure why I'd think that )
You're right, HJB. Airplane throttles (and mixture controls) are moved forward to increase. Therefore the phrase, "Firewall the throttle".
However, since it's more than likely you'll be the only one operating the thing, put it in however it makes sense to YOU. I've seen more than one guy set up their R/C model airplanes so that pushing forward on the stick gave UP elevator, the direct opposite of the 'normal' way. It sure makes for some excitement when they let someone else try out their plane, though!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
Do you find it easier to pull back quickly to release your throttle?
Is that what I am hearing in your last post?
I haven't had it installed any other way than how it is now (forward off). When I first started using it it just seemed like having it the other way round might be more natural. Though since it's something new no matter how it's put in, a bit of use will help it be more natural no matter how it's installed, like Tango Charlie was saying.

If it was moving a greater distance than I might be more inclined to change it, but since the lever is about horizontal when off, and cruising is about 60* up from that (with the first 30* or so just taking up slack) it's more like pushing down than forward.

Tango Charlie, I know what you mean about setting stuff up differently, the very few times I play halo (1st person shooter) at a friends I have to totally reconfigure the controls: and it's more than just reversing stuff since I'm a southpaw. I don't and haven't played much of that type of game, but from the little I have, I've gotten used to a different controller layout than my friends are used to: to the point that without reconfiguring I'm completely inept, instead of just mostly inept!

Intrigued, Nothing's certain except death and taxes and the car's not in front of the house with the keys and title in my hand yet, but it looks like a done deal. My parents are using it in St. Louis until the end of the month, and then some friends will bring it down on their way back from vacation. I'll have to start an intro/build thread once I get it (and take some pics). Then I'll have to start looking into getting a Scanguage!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jim Bissel View Post
Intrigued, Nothing's certain except death and taxes and the car's not in front of the house with the keys and title in my hand yet, but it looks like a done deal. My parents are using it in St. Louis until the end of the month, and then some friends will bring it down on their way back from vacation. I'll have to start an intro/build thread once I get it (and take some pics). Then I'll have to start looking into getting a Scanguage!
Well as of an hour ago I have a title, keys, and a car to keep my Corolla company; so it's officially a done deal! Give me a few days to take some pics, then I'll start a "what have I gotten myself into" thread.

Tags
cruise control, diy, hand throttle