Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: Would you buy a 125cc motorcycle for the street?
Yes! 35 40.23%
Hell no! 22 25.29%
Yes, but only at the right price. 30 34.48%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2022, 01:13 AM   #461 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Once in a while I see a Yamaha 150cc with an utility trailer, taller and worse aerodynamically-wise than the ones I used to see in Pelotas. Not sure if that would be so suitable to make a tent-trailer out of it, but who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
There are kits to turn Hondas & Harleys to into adult tricycles, possibly others.
I meant something more utilitarian-oriented, such as the ones converted from Honda CG motorcycles which I still see being used for commercial purposes in Porto Alegre.

Quote:
Can't see where that would involve a conspiracy
Some folks often look at it as "unreasonable" to say the least, and I must agree it's quite extreme to consider this approach instead of picking a more mainstream car with all the comfort features and all-weather protection just for the sake of saving gas and some other aspects which influence the TCO...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2022, 04:51 PM   #462 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Less than 2 hours ago I saw a Honda NX 150 just one block away. Odd enough, even though a 125cc version was made in Brazil, that was only for export, while the domestic market had only the 150 by then. AFAIK it happened that way due to price regulations for 125cc motorcycle during José Sarney's presidential term.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:31 PM   #463 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Pretty much. The newer dr200 uses the carb they swapped to in the 90s and the dr125 from the 90s also uses the same carb. Looking at swapping to the I think 31mm carb off one of those from the 26mm carb that comes on this one. Supposedly nets me 14hp from the 12hp these come with. Newer DR200 is still grandfathered into whatever year it made its last change to the model. Judging by the looks its probably still grandfathered in around 1992.
That is not how US emission regulations work. There is no "grandfathering" of vehicles, every new vehicle must meet the emission requirements for the model year it is labeled

The reason we still have motorcycles with carbs in 2022 is that US motorcycle emission regulations haven't changed since 2010 and motorcycles smaller than 280cc have even more lenient regulations than larger bikes. Our emission regulations are a blend of Euro 1 and 2 depending on the pollutant.

That will likely change soon as CARB is in the process of adopting Euro V regulations.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:32 PM   #464 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
That is not how US emission regulations work. There is no "grandfathering" of vehicles, every new vehicle must meet the emission requirements for the model year it is labeled.
Yeah, unless you are Ford and negotiated certain vehicles to belong in the wrong class (as happened egregiously for 20 years) the fact I see some Chevy Trax and subcompact Jeeps with pickup plates here seems to suggest that is still happening albeit to a lesser degree.

Or you are a low volume maker where the number made is expected to be small and it’s an undue burden for you to comply.

Or you are a local ATV/Sidebyside maker who wants to sell a diesel dune buggy for “job growth” in certain states that won’t be named.

Think, Tesla and now Kandi were able to skirt crash tests using this same logic , though the hammer finally fell on Kandi for refusing to source US compliant airbags, they got 3 years of non-compliant sales. (Likely in the single digits each year)
Old 07-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #465 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Yeah, unless you are Ford and negotiated certain vehicles to belong in the wrong class (as happened egregiously for 20 years) the fact I see some Chevy Trax and subcompact Jeeps with pickup plates here seems to suggest that is still happening albeit to a lesser degree.

Or you are a low volume maker where the number made is expected to be small and it’s an undue burden for you to comply.

Or you are a local ATV/Sidebyside maker who wants to sell a diesel dune buggy for “job growth” in certain states that won’t be named.

Think, Tesla and now Kandi were able to skirt crash tests using this same logic , though the hammer finally fell on Kandi for refusing to source US compliant airbags, they got 3 years of non-compliant sales. (Likely in the single digits each year)
A Chevy Trax is legally classified by the EPA and NHTSA as a light truck. So are Jeeps like the Compass. No misclassifications there - just companies following the rules.

That is a different topic though. I was specifically talking about grandfathering. The idea that if you don't change an old motorcycle you can keep selling it even if it doesn't meet current emissions. That is not the case. A 2022 TW200 meets 2022 emission standards.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:10 PM   #466 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
That is not how US emission regulations work. There is no "grandfathering" of vehicles, every new vehicle must meet the emission requirements for the model year it is labeled

The reason we still have motorcycles with carbs in 2022 is that US motorcycle emission regulations haven't changed since 2010 and motorcycles smaller than 280cc have even more lenient regulations than larger bikes. Our emission regulations are a blend of Euro 1 and 2 depending on the pollutant.

That will likely change soon as CARB is in the process of adopting Euro V regulations.
how do you explain the dr650 and the old klr 650? they didn't pass current emissions either but i am under the explanation that their original update in whatever year it was introduced is still compliant as long as it doesn't update the bike.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:17 AM   #467 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
how do you explain the dr650 and the old klr 650? they didn't pass current emissions either but i am under the explanation that their original update in whatever year it was introduced is still compliant as long as it doesn't update the bike.
The 2022 DR650 passes current 2022 US emission standards.

This is the 2022 Suzuki DR650's CARB certification.

HC+NOx = 0.67 g/km (Standard is 0.8 g/km)
CO = 8.1 g/km (Standard is 12 g/km)

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default...644_0d8_hn.pdf

Now the DR650 pollutes WAY more than a more modern bike but it still meets US regulations. Again, US emission standards haven't changed since 2010.

The 2022 Suzuki V-Strom 650 is certified at 0.12 HC+NOx and 0.7 g/km CO

Some motorcycles in the USA have become cleaner because the EU and other markets in the world require cleaner emissions. The USA isn't a large enough market to make a different version just for use so we get the Euro V version.

Others have been discontinued long ago in Europe but manufacturers keep cranking them out for the USA because the tooling is paid for and people still buy them.

This is all of CARB's certifications (They are called Executive Orders)
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-vehicle-a...ay-motorcycles
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 04:00 PM   #468 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I still would buy this

200mpg+ is good enough (so good I had to repost)

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...-cycle.356896/
Old 07-13-2022, 09:37 PM   #469 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

IIRC the so-called grandfathering only applied to safety regulations, and mostly in Europe for certain 4WDs such as the Land Rover Defender. I'm unaware of any motorcycle being grandfathered anywhere BTW.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:59 AM   #470 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

This one is at least 24-years old, but I see some of these (Honda C100 Dream) roaming around more often than I did a few years ago. Seeing one running it's clear the shifting is not so smooth with its automatic clutch, but it may get the job done inner-city quite well.

The front disc brake in this Honda Pop 110i was adapted. On a sidenote, even though its fuel tank is too small, the 110cc Honda Pop became quite common among motorcycle couriers in my hometown, after the Honda CG 125 was phased out.

Reply  Post New Thread