Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #41 (permalink)
CEO

whitevette,

Happy to talk to you at either dparker@enerpulse.com or 888-800-6700.

Dan Parker

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
He left his email for you already, why reply here?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevette View Post
[ chembustion at yahoo dot com ]
Oh, yah, your selling sparkplugs for $25 a piece, I forgot.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EP3 - '03 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)

Scooter - '93 Honda Elite 80
90 day: 74.87 mpg (US)

Ape - '07 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
90 day: 66.97 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post

nice

Also just wondering, what kind of spark plugs are we claiming a 6% increase over? copper core cheapies or good iridiums? Just curious because just about anything will get better than the cheapest plug you can test. Also are you claiming that the pulstar plugs only get better mpg's during hard acceleration and not during sustained low load driving? As a consumer i would want a plug that get's better mpg's during 95% of driving, not the 5% of crazy acceleration. Just me though. Also nobody here has a lab to test anying. We drive our cars to get good mileage. And we experiment with different ways to do that. but you can't deny that in the real world if you don't see any difference from the plugs(regardless of how you drive) it pretty much defeats the purpose of the product? If it only works in a lab or on a dyno, what's the point? I for one have tried copper, platinum, platinum 2 point, and iridium. And i can tell you that there is a deffinate difference in my real world fuel economy averages between them, even between 2 companies making platinum plugs i noticed a difference.

Last edited by dann_04; 08-25-2008 at 06:21 PM..
Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post

Any wonder CEOs don't post. Somehow I thought this forum was different.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_04 View Post
nice

Also just wondering, what kind of spark plugs are we claiming a 6% increase over? copper core cheapies or good iridiums? Just curious because just about anything will get better than the cheapest plug you can test. Also are you claiming that the pulstar plugs only get better mpg's during hard acceleration and not during sustained low load driving? As a consumer i would want a plug that get's better mpg's during 95% of driving, not the 5% of crazy acceleration. Just me though. Also nobody here has a lab to test anying. We drive our cars to get good mileage. And we experiment with different ways to do that. but you can't deny that in the real world if you don't see any difference from the plugs(regardless of how you drive) it pretty much defeats the purpose of the product? If it only works in a lab or on a dyno, what's the point? I for one have tried copper, platinum, platinum 2 point, and iridium. And i can tell you that there is a deffinate difference in my real world fuel economy averages between them, even between 2 companies making platinum plugs i noticed a difference.

We compare Pulstar to new, OEM recommended spark plugs (most are platinum or iridium). Basically they are all the same generating only 50 watts of peak power (copper, platinum, iridium). I recognize that you guys are a different bread. Maybe this will help: pulse plugs first and foremost generate more torque than spark plugs. The inversion of torque is fuel economy. When you are hypermiling pay very close attention to your RPMs. If for a certain speed they are lower, then you are experiencing Pulstar torque, which will change the shift points in your transmission. Let me know your observations.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

240Z - '73 Datsun 240Z 240Z
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
"...pay very close attention to your RPMs. If for a certain speed they are lower, then you are experiencing Pulstar torque, which will change the shift points in your transmission."

That is a somewhat confusing statement. 99% of car have gear ratios, X RPM = X Speed the only way an RPM will change at set speed is through gear changes. The majority of people here drive standard cars I think, and I would hope the ones who dont know enough about trannys to know you cant lower RPMS at a given speed any way besides a gear change.

So, someone driving manual would find no difference in RPM's and that statement only seems to be directed at confusing someone with an auto who dosnt know they have gears constant to RPM. Their gears would vary with load on the car and at 80 km/h. Assume on flat would turn at 2000rpm and on incline downshift to 3rd and turn 2500.

Best case scenario would be someone to think their car spins at 2500 rpm @ 80 km/h due to being on an incline when they checked, then install the plugs and redo the test and have the car shift into overdrive due to flat road and turn 2000 and think somehow it had anything to do with it.

Sorry for the long, mostly pointless post; I just felt that comment was a little off
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
"...pay very close attention to your RPMs. If for a certain speed they are lower, then you are experiencing Pulstar torque, which will change the shift points in your transmission."

That is a somewhat confusing statement. 99% of car have gear ratios, X RPM = X Speed the only way an RPM will change at set speed is through gear changes. The majority of people here drive standard cars I think, and I would hope the ones who dont know enough about trannys to know you cant lower RPMS at a given speed any way besides a gear change.

So, someone driving manual would find no difference in RPM's and that statement only seems to be directed at confusing someone with an auto who dosnt know they have gears constant to RPM. Their gears would vary with load on the car and at 80 km/h. Assume on flat would turn at 2000rpm and on incline downshift to 3rd and turn 2500.

Best case scenario would be someone to think their car spins at 2500 rpm @ 80 km/h due to being on an incline when they checked, then install the plugs and redo the test and have the car shift into overdrive due to flat road and turn 2000 and think somehow it had anything to do with it.

Sorry for the long, mostly pointless post; I just felt that comment was a little off
Sorry for the confusion. A better explanation would have been reduced throttle position. You are right in standard shift vehicles RPMs = speed. In many automatics especially CVTs (continuously variable transmissions) the torque will actually reduce RPM. All have the effect or reducing throttle position.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I'm closing this post...EcoModder isn't a place to advertise...if you want to talk to whoever contacts can be traded in private, that's what email and private messaging is for. If someone wants to put up tests with their plugs, they should feel free, but get ready for whole mounds of skepticism there too...after it's a spark plug in 6% is a pretty huge efficiency gain to toss around when automakers have been experimenting with all sorts of things including using two plugs and such on won't claim a number close to that.

"Any wonder CEOs don't post. Somehow I thought this forum was different."

You're product is competing for airtime with a whole pile of scams and other crap. I don't know if it's one of them, but when you're trying to sell something it's always going to be guilty until proven innocent, wherever you go (unless you're talking to a sucker).
Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #49 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I've been running Pulsestars for months. They work well but my testing isn't rigorous enough to detect differences that small- if there are any.

I got the impression they are a pretty straight-up outfit. They sure have endured a lot of crap. That said, I don't know if the product would ever pay for itself in fuel savings. I'm so cheap I KNOW I'd never spring for 'em on my own unless the savings were proven and significant.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Ben (SVOboy) asked me for a second opinion on his call to lock this thread. I think people are being pretty level headed. The discussion isn't out of hand or excessively spammy.

So we agreed to open the thread again.

---

My opinion on the topic is that anyone claiming improved fuel economy from a commercial product should expect to provide results from properly conducted 3rd party (independent) laboratory testing at a minimum.

dcb has pointed out several potential flaws in Pulstar's own lab test procedure already.

I tend to put a fair amount of stock in the information found at fuelsaving.info. I'd think we'd have much more to gain if dparker engaged that person in conversation, rather than seeking testimonials from the general public as a marketing strategy.

See: Ignition enhancers (petrol/gasoline only) - from Fuel Saving Gadgets - a Professional Engineer's View.

Speaking generally, the author of that site refutes the claims made for the product being discussed here.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread