Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
TheSamba.com :: View topic - Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge
Quote:
Could that be true? Better believe it! A crew of four North Carolina craftsmen have been building the body, chassis and engine for what is a recreation of the most beautiful Volkswagen ever crafted, the infamous 1939 Volkswagen KDF Type 64 (aka Type 60K10) Berlin to Rome racer.

The car will compete in the 36hp Challenge Unlimited 36 category and the teams goal is to capture the fifty year old record of Dick Beiths Pepco puffed lakester. Minimum speed goal is 130 miles per hour.

Wolfsburg Wests Okrasa style heads will be part of the potent big bore 36hp engine being developed to meet and then exceed their goals.
Chris, Bruce and the team are shooting for racing this summer at a ECTA Ohio Mile event and if that goal is met, they hope to bring the T64 recreation to Bonneville. Having your Glocker clone and the T64 at Bonneville would be amazing.

Chris's homebuilt Glockler clone. Check out Chris's build page here on the Samba! Photo by Chris Runge

Let's see, we have Darrell Vittone and the "Inch Pincher", Manu Thuillier and Paul Loofs "Round the World 55 Beetle", and now maybe the "Type 64" and the "Glockler". Is this going to be a great year at Bonneville in September or what! And that is not mentioning all the other 36hp and Big Block VW Challengers that will be racing!

Hopefully both of you will be joining us on the salt........................

Burly

Hey! Maybe I will see you there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-19-2014), California98Civic (04-13-2014), renault_megane_dci (04-16-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #102 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Are you on the team building this car, freebird?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I wish. Of course if it was my effort, I'd start from the Volkhart-Saggita.

I have no connection to Burley Burlile, or the builders; I'm just a big fan. I was chauffeured to Speed Week last year, but my son won't be going this year so I want to see the 36hp Challenge.

When the actual builders finish their car they will use the forms to make at least two additional bodies for Porsche people.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-19-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
email from DARKO

I checked email and had a response from Doug Tinney.Darko has time available the first week in September so I've sent a request for the 5th.Doug says most teams allow 4-hours for setup,testing,and teardown.
I'll shoot for a single run,with smoke and videography for You-Tube.See if I can contain costs a bit.
USFRA World of Speed starts the next day so after Darko I can just head for the curve in the road past the Salt Flats Cafe/Sinclair Station for camping.
BamZipPow (04-19-2014), freebeard (04-16-2014), MetroMPG (04-24-2014), slowmover (04-20-2014), Xist (04-16-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volkhart-

Quote:
I wish. Of course if it was my effort, I'd start from the Volkhart-Saggita.

I have no connection to Burley Burlile, or the builders; I'm just a big fan. I was chauffeured to Speed Week last year, but my son won't be going this year so I want to see the 36hp Challenge.

When the actual builders finish their car they will use the forms to make at least two additional bodies for Porsche people.
Somewhere I ran across the Volkhart- in VW's climatic wind tunnel.She scored Cd 0.18? A little less than Cd 0.16 suggested by Fachsenfeld?
They show smoke over the tail,with it separating at 22-degrees,just as Mair would predict,but otherwise she looked delicious!
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/553...00466small.jpg
Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think putting it and the Porsche Type 64 in a modern windtunnel gives a basis for comparison (fudge factor) of the facilities and protocols.

This is a work in progress. I got to thinking if you cut the CD from 0.40 to 0.20 you could double the area and have the same drag. If the B-pillar is moved out 3 inches then the body engulfs the rear wheels. Add 3 inches to the top and you are adding about 3 sq ft to 18 or 19; maybe 15%. Essentially, it would be a geodesic template with the Beetle decklid and fenders grafted on.

Welding rod covered with doped fabric?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #107 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

geodesic

Quote:
I think putting it and the Porsche Type 64 in a modern windtunnel gives a basis for comparison (fudge factor) of the facilities and protocols.

This is a work in progress. I got to thinking if you cut the CD from 0.40 to 0.20 you could double the area and have the same drag. If the B-pillar is moved out 3 inches then the body engulfs the rear wheels. Add 3 inches to the top and you are adding about 3 sq ft to 18 or 19; maybe 15%. Essentially, it would be a geodesic template with the Beetle decklid and fenders grafted on.

Welding rod covered with doped fabric?
I think that the Troposphere would smile on it with favor.
Many a one-off custom were created with the welding rod armature.We know that the doped fabric is a winner.She'd be amazing,hurtling down the highway.
You might have to take out liability insurance for all the onlooker whiplashes.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

New personal best for T-100

I had to go west this AM.A friends home had been hit by lightning which fried some of the electrical and started a fire,which thankfully,the intense rain quenched.
I topped off the tank for the return run and pulled 39.96 mph at a maximum 60-mph.I've never seen numbers like this even at lower speeds.And this is with no headlight covers,bellypan,or boat tail.
It's interesting when considering restoring the other mods,plus the new stinger boat tail extension.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sept. 5 was a no-go,so I've put in a request for the 4th.I await confirmation.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #109 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I topped off the tank for the return run and pulled 39.96 mph at a maximum 60-mph.
That's the territory HotVWs were in with their Mileage Motor. I've got a 1200 mile road trip coming up in September. Worst case (for planning) 60 gallons at $5/gallon, or $300. If I got 40 mpg that's $150 less so my budget for imprevements should be about that.

Maybe a diverter and difusser in PolyMetal. I've been thinking a front splitter could have things like winglets on either side (like airliners have now) to act as air scoops for an air curtain on the front wheelwell. There are boltholes in the ends of the front bumper that could be used for support. The diffuser would have two oval holes for the tailpipes to stick through.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

diverter/diffuser

Quote:
That's the territory HotVWs were in with their Mileage Motor. I've got a 1200 mile road trip coming up in September. Worst case (for planning) 60 gallons at $5/gallon, or $300. If I got 40 mpg that's $150 less so my budget for imprevements should be about that.

Maybe a diverter and difusser in PolyMetal. I've been thinking a front splitter could have things like winglets on either side (like airliners have now) to act as air scoops for an air curtain on the front wheelwell. There are boltholes in the ends of the front bumper that could be used for support. The diffuser would have two oval holes for the tailpipes to stick through.
*The diverter sounds interesting as the front sheetmetal doesn't quite shield all the naughty bits from the oncoming flow.A couple inches of wrap-around airdam with integrated splitter sound real good.Integrating the winglet/air curtain would be a 1st-in-history for a Beetle? Why not!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm gonna have to peek under the Ghia to refresh my sorry memory with respect to the diffuser.Right now my brain is telling me that the engine heater heat exchangers and muffler would frustrate space for the upsweep of the diffuser.I'll have to look.
But it would be good to do it if it will fit in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have some sort of wing at the back,below your cooling air inlet? Kinda like Ernie did with the New Beetle? Seems like that would help on mpg.Maybe engine cooling too.