Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonsfirstlaw View Post
To reiterate, all this is really doing is branding what a lot of us are already doing, enabling it to spread virally by increasing the rate of transmission and conversion.
Of course. And that's what the topic really needs. Sure, we encounter opposition at times, but it's mostly a vast sea of ignorance we're up against.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
newtonsfirstlaw -

I would be verrrrry happy with a 45 MPH speed limit on LA freeways, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon. In keeping with the critical mass concept, I think you should initiate a "snail convoy" or "turtle convoy" logo. The idea is, if you see someone with this logo on the back of their car you pop in behind them, give them a snail/turtle signal, and create a "slow car convoy". The car behind you can't get mad at you because it's obviously the fault of the car in front of you, and the car in front of you is "protected" from their wrath by you.

Turtle Convoy ... Rest of world

The ones behind you might be mad, but you would be saving them gas (if not time).

Now, if only it were that easy in the real world,

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Mighty Mira - '92 Daihatsu Mira
90 day: 61.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
newtonsfirstlaw -

I would be verrrrry happy with a 45 MPH speed limit on LA freeways, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon.
It doesn't have to, all there has to be is an effective limit brought about by a relatively small number of people, and the perception that it is a popular movement that has brought this about (through the bumper stickers etc.) People often assume that if a small minority of people are willing enough to act or say something, that the rest of the iceberg feels that way too.

You don't need that many people trickling along at the minimum speed limit to back it up, because a lot of people are complacent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
In keeping with the critical mass concept, I think you should initiate a "snail convoy" or "turtle convoy" logo. The idea is, if you see someone with this logo on the back of their car you pop in behind them, give them a snail/turtle signal, and create a "slow car convoy"
How would you give that signal?

Quote:
The car behind you can't get mad at you because it's obviously the fault of the car in front of you, and the car in front of you is "protected" from their wrath by you.
That's basically the idea. Except instead of
Quote:
Turtle Convoy ... Rest of world
You have

Because not everyone will be mad. And the idea of the bumper sticker is that the next time you have:

etc. because someone has looked at the web address and done some reading.

The logical endpoint is

because eventually everyone gets the message who is receptive, and there are a few irresponsible hotheads.

Quote:
The ones behind you might be mad, but you would be saving them gas (if not time).
In larger cars, that would almost be paid for. You could save someone with a larger car a litre of fuel for 7.5 minutes of time. And by making motorbikes more viable, you could save someone else a much larger amount of petrol if they switch from an SUV to a motorbike (best case). ~7 litres saved, probably. It's common for businessmen in Asia to use scooters and motorbikes, there's no reason why we can't too.

We are already at the point where the time costs less than the fuel in some cases.

Last edited by newtonsfirstlaw; 12-18-2007 at 11:25 PM..
Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
When the US enacted the 55 mph freeway limit in the 70's there was a pretty widespread awareness of the issues involved in slowing down because it directly affected so many people's lives.

I remember reading an account of a guy from that period who had fists shaken at him and horns honked at him for speeding past slower cars on the highway.

Hillary clinton publicly mused about returning to the 55 mph limit in 2006, but I think (can anyone confirm this?) she has since backed away from the idea.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I remember reading an account of a guy from that period who had fists shaken at him and horns honked at him for speeding past slower cars on the highway.
There is very little new under the sun, and oil prices aren't much different today. I don't think anyone is expecting cheaper fuel in the future. Couple receptive but ignorant people with an easy means of being informed... and effecting a massive, worldwide change is a distinct possibility.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
I get the impression that you can't frame it as a single issue with a single slogan. You need to craft it as a national security issue for some people (particularly in the US), or they won't hear you / care. Others are receptive only to economic language, and others will hear an environmental message above all else.

Not trying to rain on the idea - just throwing thoughts out there. I'd love to see slower traffic speeds. I was a little disappointed when this province got rid of photo radar...
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I get the impression that you can't frame it as a single issue with a single slogan. You need to craft it as a national security issue for some people (particularly in the US), or they won't hear you / care. Others are receptive only to economic language, and others will hear an environmental message above all else.

Not trying to rain on the idea - just throwing thoughts out there.
That's a very good point - there is a market for this message, and different people have different motivations. You covered every one I can think of. Maybe one slogan wrt the act of slowing down, and a generic web destination covering each of the different angles. Or separate slogans?

My leaning is towards one good slogan at a time. Or a variation on a theme?

E.g. Go(ing?) Slow For...
-the environment
-your children
-your pocketbook
-national security
-self reliance
-for safety

etc.

By selling stickers near cost, you'd get an idea of which themes resonate well with people.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
newtonsfirstlaw -

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonsfirstlaw View Post
It doesn't have to, all there has to be is an effective limit brought about by a relatively small number of people, and the perception that it is a popular movement that has brought this about (through the bumper stickers etc.) People often assume that if a small minority of people are willing enough to act or say something, that the rest of the iceberg feels that way too.

You don't need that many people trickling along at the minimum speed limit to back it up, because a lot of people are complacent.

How would you give that signal?

At night it would be easy. Just turn on your cabin light. If the lead "turtle" turns on his/her cabin light, then you are in convoy mode. If the lead turtle turns on/off his/her cabin light in succession, then the turtle has rejected your desire to go into convoy mode (even turtles are in a rush sometimes, or might be about to exit the freeway)

By day, you could open your driver's side window and put your hand on the midpoint of the A-Pillar like so :

Click image for larger version

Name:	turtle_signal.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	51

Notice that the signal is unobtrusive. A non-turtle wouldn't notice the signal. However, if the lead turtle sees the signal, he/she can give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I think the other chances of meeting another "turtle" on the road are fairly minimal at first. But since you are doing nothing illegal by going slow in the slow lane, people can always pass you. In a 3 lane highway, there is no excuse not to pass. I've been going 20kph slower than the speed limit (100kph) for 2 weeks now with no one beeping me.

I've thought of a few more bumper sticker ideas:
"Why race to red lights?"/"I don't race to red lights"
"It's called the Slow Lane for a reason"
"Life's more fun at 80kph"

Then there's the FPS inspired:
"TAILGATE MOAR!"
Old 12-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I always laugh at the people who complain about how expensive gas is but then blow by me on the QEW doing 150 km/h in their SUV.

Reply  Post New Thread