Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #141 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
As an aside question, do we know anything else other than the Highlander and the RX400h that came with this, or a similar style drive unit?
I totally understand; SUV's would definitely be more rare in Europe.
Oddly, I think it's a good thing - maybe not good for our purposes, but definitely better for the planet.

I really hope that Toyota didn't just end the concept with the Highlander. Perhaps folks can do some digging for a similar thing?? Maybe one of the AWD sedans have a similar motor??

One thing I've noticed from all the Oakridge Lab testing reports I've read is that there are a LOT of similarities with various Toyota Hybrid products. In other words, the control system for the Prius, Camry, Highlander, etc. is very similar.

The later model Prius "transmissions" have two motors/generators and a fairly simple gearbox. (not the chain drive of the 1st gen Prius) A guy on the DIYEV list was using one of the Prius transmissions to power an MR2; he used both motors at once to get the most power.

Other folks have mentioned making a gearbox that is more useful for EV's. There might be some fantastic opportunites to do this with Prius guts. The Prius electric motor is more powerful than the MGR motor, so it could be worth the effort. After all, I see a lot of Prii on the road - which hints at opportunites for parts...

Last edited by e*clipse; 11-03-2014 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: context
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #142 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
I totally understand; SUV's would definitely be more rare in Europe.
Oddly, I think it's a good thing - maybe not good for our purposes, but definitely better for the planet.
Well, the Outlander PHEV is being sold a lot here though. I looked it up, they also have a read electric motor. I wonder if its the same thing..

Quote:
I really hope that Toyota didn't just end the concept with the Highlander. Perhaps folks can do some digging for a similar thing?? Maybe one of the AWD sedans have a similar motor??
They very well might, but I can't find any info on the one that comes to mind, the Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid.

Quote:
A guy on the DIYEV list was using one of the Prius transmissions to power an MR2; he used both motors at once to get the most power.
Been thinking about doing just that, but I'm not sure if I want or don't want the Prius to still be attached to it when I do, and I get conflicting answers as to how reliable it would be.

Quote:
The Prius electric motor is more powerful than the MGR motor, so it could be worth the effort. After all, I see a lot of Prii on the road - which hints at opportunites for parts...
I did not know that. And indeed, so many parts donors on the road.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #143 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:

Also - polyurethane bushings are readily available for many motor mount applications. I used some that were made for a Mitsubishi Eclipse for my Yota Diesel conversion. The only problem is they are too stiff - you really feel the diesel. Anyway, they would probably be just fine for an electric motor.

Take care,

e*clipse
Hey E*clips what engine/trans did you use for your Yota conversion?

Got any pictures?

Cyruscosmo
Old 11-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #144 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Other folks have mentioned making a gearbox that is more useful for EV's. There might be some fantastic opportunites to do this with Prius guts. The Prius electric motor is more powerful than the MGR motor, so it could be worth the effort. After all, I see a lot of Prii on the road - which hints at opportunites for parts...
Hey E*clips

Concerning the Prius motor of which you speak, can you enlighten me as to which one? My original plan when I started four years ago was to use one of those motors with a purpose built case and simply attach it to the bell housing of whatever transmission in whatever application. But back then no one was brainstorming a control unit like Paul and others are doing now.

The reasoning then, was that most people who want to convert there own vehicle to electric do not necessarily have the know how to do so. Bolt on kits are much easier to deal with than full out machining of specialized parts. So they could buy an adapter and add the parts from the donor vehicle and bolt it to their vehicle of choice.

I would still like to go that rout, don't get me wrong I think that highlander drive unit would scoot a little Geo along just fine and I plan to do so first.

My goal is to get hold of a BMW Z3 and make a few changes...

I know, most people go with Miatas but being 6'1" I don't quite fit. Not very well at least...

Cyruscosmo
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyruscosmo For This Useful Post:
e*clipse (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #145 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
As an aside question, do we know anything else other than the Highlander and the RX400h that came with this, or a similar style drive unit?

Because those cars didn't sell very well over here, and theres literally none in the scrap yard.

Found one on eBay for nearly $900, about $1k after shipping to my house.
Thats a bit much I think, if theres talk in this topic of getting one for less than $300.
There are a couple listings on ebay at the moment for 249.99 Engine Motor Highlander 1223317 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 3 3L at 109K | eBay Am not sure what shipping would cost to you but they are cheeper than 900.00 bucks

Cyruscosmo
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyruscosmo For This Useful Post:
e*clipse (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #146 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB
The only thing I know of that compares is this aftermarket part made in Oztralia for the Porsche 911:

I think the picture is from Autospeed. It has a carbon-fiber case, an oil-cooled gearset, a Quafe limited slip diff and about 600hp. Having seen that, I immediately recognized the value of the Toyota/Lexus part, which is about $2300 as a new replacement part on eBay.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #147 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyruscosmo View Post
There are a couple listings on ebay at the moment for 249.99[...]Am not sure what shipping would cost to you but they are cheeper than 900.00 bucks
Shipping to europe will probably be a killer.

Found a burned out Outlander PHEV near me, maybe I'll give them a call.
Mitsubishi Outlander Sloopauto
Old 11-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #148 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
Well, the Outlander PHEV is being sold a lot here though. I looked it up, they also have a read electric motor. I wonder if its the same thing..

They very well might, but I can't find any info on the one that comes to mind, the Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid.

Been thinking about doing just that, but I'm not sure if I want or don't want the Prius to still be attached to it when I do, and I get conflicting answers as to how reliable it would be.

I did not know that. And indeed, so many parts donors on the road.
I honestly don't know what Mitsubishi or Volvo use. Given the huge variety possible with electric motors and the fact that there is no standard, I would guess that it's different than Toyota's. They may be close enough however - for example most powerful AC motors are three phase. They can actually use the same controller whether they are induction motors or brushless DC motors. Of course the programming would have to be different, but the hardware can be the same. This brings up the value of open source projects - they allow/encourage adaptation and improvement.

They guy with the MR2 was using an Arduino for the brains and the Prius power module for the voltage step up/3 phase power switches. Last I saw, he was successful in getting it running. I have no idea about long term reliability.

- E*clipse
Old 11-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #149 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The only thing I know of that compares is this aftermarket part made in Oztralia for the Porsche 911:

I think the picture is from Autospeed. It has a carbon-fiber case, an oil-cooled gearset, a Quafe limited slip diff and about 600hp. Having seen that, I immediately recognized the value of the Toyota/Lexus part, which is about $2300 as a new replacement part on eBay.
Hey Freebeard

Do you have a link to this site? Or the part number for the motor in question? 600 HP sounds nice for a Z3

Guess what rolled into my parking lot... A toyo highlander. One of the guys who used to work here has one and let me crawl around under it taking pictures. That front mount is an iron piece and tucked up in there pretty good. The whole unit sits on a removable sub-frame.

E*clips is right it is designed to handle a lot of torque.

I am thinking it would come in handy in your application as it would put the mounts to either side of "or on top" of that wishbone arrangement you have in the stock VW mount. No need to go up through the sheet metal work as the mount angles down on either side. The rear mount looks like it would fit in a plate that could bolt across those two bolts where the transmission bell sat.

Cyruscosmo
Old 11-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #150 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyruscosmo View Post
Hey E*clips what engine/trans did you use for your Yota conversion?

Got any pictures?

Cyruscosmo
It's a VW TDI engine mated to a Toyota R-151F transmission.

There are lots of pics (a build thread) here:
TDI in a Toyota pickup - TDIClub Forums

The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
Cyruscosmo (11-04-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
highlander hybrid, lexus rx400h, mgr, q211