Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Well Glenn is ok in my book. He has a right to use the freeway and drive at or above the minimum speed limit, especially if it was at night and presumably not crowded, and assuming he was in the slow lane. If someone is speeding and causes a crash, well, hopefully they heard it on the news that theres gonna be some slowpokes out there and they better pay attention, so they don't cause a crash.

Nobody should pander to speeders in the name of safety ?!?
Glenn Konrad is alright.

The officer knew he would not win if he gave him a ticket.

Going 50 is legal on any US freeway unless it's explictly marked.

If Glenn was doing this during rush hour - it would be an issue, but midnight on an open freeway? (do you think this patrolman would have pulled him over if it was busy? )

I was driving about 50 in pre rush hour on I35E and I635 in the same kind of Honda Insight with a reporter from the Dallas Morning News - check out his account.

Bottom line is Glenn was legal and not in anyone's way....if you keep an eye out it's no problem.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #82 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...some of the Phoenix-area freeways have "MINIMUM SPEED 45 MPH" signs posted, but those are only within the city, not on the Interstate Highway.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #83 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
No offense, but this guy sounds like a tool. 95 is near me and I've also driven on it in maryland, and if there isn't heavy traffic, driving 50 seems to me like asking to get hit. Also, completely disregarding what the police say about safety in order to get a few MPG is not the smartest thing, nor does it make sensible ecodrivers like us look good when he flaunts the law all over the news.

As I always say, safety first, courtesy second, fuel economy third.
I have lived in Kentucky for about 12 years, and I have covered this entire state. Not once have I EVER seen a "MINIMUM SPEED" sign posted anywhere- that happens to be a pet peeve of mine because many wrecks are caused by the difference in speeds of drivers, that's just a fact few will dispute.

This is my very first time reading the OP's words. I must admit while I am still green at this stuff, I too think about the dangers of the 70MPH interstate near me and I watch my mirror, and just as important, I use my expensive radar detector to let me know if I am being singled out for my speed- it is even more useful after dark when we can not see well enough to know if any car may be the police. I try to not go slower than ten under, but if I see a person coming up on my bumper, or ridding my bumper, it's safety first! Also I have already had many cases of driving in EOC right by the police, I have been followed by the police many times, and not once have they pulled me over for going too slow. My radar detector is not obvious in the way I have it's remote display hidden, but I do have a bright GPS I often leave on. I think when they see the GPS some of the police may figure I am just a little lost and seeking the road or driveway to turn on- but that's purely speculation on my part.

I will say this, it helps to have a radar detector and have it mounted so the police can not see the lights if they choose to follow you. That way, even after dark, you most likely will know their is a cop following you, perhaps for moving too slow, and you will know enough to bring your car up to the posted speed limit. So far I have had no problem other than being followed for a mile or so, and as soon as I pick up my speed they no longer seem worried about me.

An interstate is just not a safe place for hypermilling, especially if it's a 70MPH zone. I now try to avoid the interstate as much as I can, and when I must use it I keep one eye on my bumper and always stay in the right lane. I also never go lower than ten under, and I do not go this slow for more than a few seconds before I pick the speed back up. I do not think there is any way of really saving gasoline in a 70MPH zone.

Support American
Workers!

Last edited by Jammer; 10-10-2009 at 07:34 PM..
Old 10-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Again, I drove as Glenn did with a reporter - no problems. I'll add there are ways to let other drivers get by.

I'm neither a problem or "a tool".
Old 10-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #85 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Min Speed Limits- Vary by State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echomodder View Post
You must be joking! Most min. limits here are 45mph on the highway. I hope he turned the ticket over in front of the cop an signed the part to contest!
I spent much of my life in/near the big fat ghetto known as Flint, Michigan. I75 and the bypass I475 were some might busy interstates, even if half the people were unemployed when I lived there. On every single Interstate sign I seen it would state the Speed Limit for cars/Suvs etc.. Then it listed the Min. Speed Limit and also the lower Speed Limit for Semi-Trucks. I moved out when the speed limits were just starting to go back up again, but as I recall they had only gone up to 65 for a speed Limit when I still lived there. Nevertheless the Min Speed Limit had remained at 45MPH even with the increase speed limits. This was over 12 years ago. I used to wonder why on earth they would raise the Speed Limit for Cars yet keep a lower one for trucks the same (unless I am mistaken- Semi's were 55, and cars got a raise). It seemed to me it would be better to have even the big semis to have the same speed limit as the cars, after all the closer in speed everyone goes the better the traffic flows without a wreck, in my mind anyway.

Still, I have no idea what the Min Speed Limit is in Kentucky, or even if we have such a think in this state. Once I tried to find it on the internet and gave up looking because I could not find such a thing listed.

Either way we all owe it to everyone to drive as safe as we can, and if were doing 50MPH and were getting passed in rush hour with people going 80MPH, I think I will eat the poor gas mileage at take my car up to the posted speed limit of 70- Let the speeders get the ticket, not me.

Support American
Workers!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #86 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...most state speed laws are foundationed on the conditions of: "...reasonable and prudent..." not "...conforming..." and "...stupid see/stupid do..." (Forrest Gump paraphasing).

...similarly, just because everybody else is exceeding the speed limit is neither (a) a good reason nor (b) a legal defense against "breaking the law."

...too many people think they own the roadways and that it's 'majority rule' on speeds...sorry but that ain't "reasonable & prudent."
Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #87 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...most state speed laws are foundationed on the conditions of: "...reasonable and prudent..." not "...conforming..." and "...stupid see/stupid do..." (Forrest Gump paraphasing).

...similarly, just because everybody else is exceeding the speed limit is neither (a) a good reason nor (b) a legal defense against "breaking the law."

...too many people think they own the roadways and that it's 'majority rule' on speeds...sorry but that ain't "reasonable & prudent."
Oh, I agree. But the speed that traffic is moving, say in a 70MPH zone, can make the difference in me traveling say 62 or 70MPH. The faster the traffic the better the chance I will speed up TO the P.S.- I do not wish to be rear ended when I am going say- 60MPH and the other one is moving at 80MPH. If I am going the P.S. the lesser the chance I should ever be hit by a speeder in the first place. The closer we can match our speed the better, BUT that is NO EXCUSE for speeding over the P.S. although I would guess most of us have done it before at some point in our lives for good or bad reasons.

Support American
Workers!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #88 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

I'll gladly go the posted speed limit if it's really congested and me slowing down could create a traffic wave as people slow down to pass me.

Otherwise it's as slow as I want, which is 55 mph on interstates. My usual interstate speed is 60-65 mph where my car finally gets into its torque band and can lope along sipping fuel.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

How I go my speed is simply looking in the rear view mirror and tapping the emergency lights if a would be tailgater is fast approaching - works at least 95% of the time.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 AM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a neighbor that is a state patrolman, and I've discussed hypermiling with him. If you are driving slower than the posted speed limit, and being followed closely by a cop, it's because they are trying to determine if you are drunk. Driving well under the limit is a BIG red flag for profiling drunk driving. So is failing to maintain a constant speed or riding out of the tire grooves. So hypermilers and drunk drivers look very similar to a cop. Driving close behind you is an intimidation technique used to see how you react. If you start acting nervous, swerving, or are too quick to speed up, they will use that as an excuse to pull you over. Basically they are begging you to do something twitchy, which gives them probable cause.

Darren

Reply  Post New Thread