Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderofBikes View Post
OH, and......... For all you Fiesta owners, learn from me.. do not mix diesel/gas at any rate. the computer wont like you, and it leaves a bad bad residue out the pipe... Dummy Light popped on after 3days (about 1:7 ratio) gonna run this through first and pull the O2 censors out and clean them by next week if it doesnt clear up on its own(hopefully).
Don't run the tank empty on this mix to get rid of it ASAP.

Top it up as often as you can and dilute the diesel as much as possible if you don't want to drain the tank.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
Cd (06-04-2012), RiderofBikes (06-04-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Don't run the tank empty on this mix to get rid of it ASAP.

Top it up as often as you can and dilute the diesel as much as possible if you don't want to drain the tank.
For sure, havent let it go beyond 1/2 tank. wanting to burn it out before i pull the sensors so i wont have to again so soon. Most likely will after 1month to check them to make sure its all gone and sensors still clean.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
By the time you smell the odor , there is going to be quite a bit of carbon monoxide in the car.
Might be wise to purchase a battery powered carbon monoxide detector.

I'm still worried about that wood catching on fire !

Why not leave a gap of at the very least 2 - 3" ? Or better yet not have that wood anywhere near the exhaust !

I looks like it weighs quite a bit for what little gain you may get - even if it is eventually attached to a flat bellypan.
the entire structure tops around 20lbs.
Just taking out my 40lbs subwoofer/box would offset any weight i put on. And I wish there was a way to not have the wood there, but underneath the body is very inconsistent. if i cut into the wood more than it already is, would lose all of the boards structural integrity, + no where else to mount too without drilling/tapping into the metal work. <trying to avoid this as much as possible>

If i come up with something better, it will be done asap! Better safe then sorry
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

UPDATE... Yup just cant stop. ^_^

Eventually i'll reach a plateau and actually give you guys some usable info and number stats!! But until i reach a point where i'm happy with my work, and not just this prototype stuff, i'll pretty much be doing my thing every monday that my time allows. Once i make this stuff convenient enough to get some A-B-C-D-etc. figures Hope you enjoy the mods! And as always, i appreciate any concern/thoughts/ideas/critiques about my work. It helps this newbie, create safe, reliable and accurate results.

Back to topic!
SIDE SKIRTS! Though not major, or unusual, or potentially useful of mods...
Stock...

"Conservative" Side Skirts...

(2) 10' pieces of Black Gutter Edge Flashing. $4.70/ea
Cut to size, then folded the end edges inward for stability, also slight tapper for better flow.
Doesn't look too shabby for $10 . No one really noticed it. My gf and her dad thought it came with the car...?! haha

AND, Of course the (Cd)trivial extended Airdam mod. This was pretty straight forward...

^^^NOTE: Revised Grill Block)

Bought 20ft Roll of Garden Barrier Stripping for $8
Cut a couple inches wider than width of stock airdam, then trimmed up once mounted.

Filled up tank again, then later went to the in-laws for game night. Full drive there and back concluded... 59.4mi/0.972gallon re-fill = ~61mpg. Also updated and made first entry to the "Trip Log"... We'll see how this improves with the gf driving over time. it'll take some time with that tho.

One thing i can say is, even without the 5-10mph headwinds on the drive there. Coming back with a tail wind, the car still felt "heavy"... The airdam, may have caused this, but sure as hell, it may not gain speed as fast downhill, it does definitively coast much further! Overall for about an hours worth of work, and 10mins at the hardware store, im pleased with the results.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Pactifica - '17 Chrysler Pacifica LX
how did you attach those side skirts? that's an interesting use of that material for sure...
Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
I wouldnt worry about the wood, even if it was touching the muffler. I drive a natural gas trash truck, and everyday something falls on the turbo and lights on fire, poor design on the engineers part. The paper and cardboard lights immediatly, and usually vanishes in less than 30 seconds. I did have a 2x4 land on and get stuck propped on the turbo once. It never lit on fire, turned black, but never smelled smoke from it like I do the papers and cardboard. And the turbo is usually hot enough to glow. I think near the muffler you'll have no problems, especially if its not touching.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
how did you attach those side skirts? that's an interesting use of that material for sure...
Ha, forgot to add that info... Used #8 x 3/4" self tapping screws. Only 4 screws per side. There are 4 little bumped out areas where its screwed into underneath.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #68 (permalink)
Sport Compact Driver

Celica Gts - '84 Toyota Celica Gts
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.32 mpg (US)

The Bee - '96 Mazda B4000 4x4 Base
Pickups
90 day: 20.39 mpg (US)
One thing i can say is, even without the 5-10mph headwinds on the drive there. Coming back with a tail wind, the car still felt "heavy"... The airdam, may have caused this, but sure as hell, it may not gain speed as fast downhill, it does definitively coast much further! Overall for about an hours worth of work, and 10mins at the hardware store, im pleased with the results.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like your air dam is producing downforce, creates more traction, but more RR.
I had a very similar setup on my Towncar, it made it very stable in crosswinds
The Following User Says Thank You to Sporty Modder For This Useful Post:
RiderofBikes (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty Modder View Post
One thing i can say is, even without the 5-10mph headwinds on the drive there. Coming back with a tail wind, the car still felt "heavy"... The airdam, may have caused this, but sure as hell, it may not gain speed as fast downhill, it does definitively coast much further! Overall for about an hours worth of work, and 10mins at the hardware store, im pleased with the results.
It sounds like your air dam is producing downforce, creates more traction, but more RR.
I had a very similar setup on my Towncar, it made it very stable in crosswinds[/QUOTE]

Hadn't thought of that... crosswinds weren't an issue at all like your mentioning. (It bends backwards slightly in the middle of the extra dam material, could this be the issue with downforce?) Am willing to cut this away, for further testing, suggestions?
I just know i put it on there, was stable, and at the end of my trip, acquired the highest number yet for ANY trip. Once I get to the point of lowering my car 1" - 1.5", this air dam is temporary.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #70 (permalink)
Sport Compact Driver

Celica Gts - '84 Toyota Celica Gts
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.32 mpg (US)

The Bee - '96 Mazda B4000 4x4 Base
Pickups
90 day: 20.39 mpg (US)
In my experiance the downforce actually pulls the car down closer to the road, my Towncar only had 4" clearance under the center of the car and at slow speeds would not scrape on anything but the steepest driveways. Going dowm the highways @ 70 it would scrape on the center of the road with the slightest dip, where @45 over the same dip no rubbing. Our roads have grooves in them from studded tires and 90-100,000lb semis.

Reply  Post New Thread